1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Best and most comprehensive online ski reviews?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Annabuzzy, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

Brad the founder/owner of backcountryskiingcanada frequently posts reviews for blister gear. Wild snow is another good site but both wild snow and backcountryskiingcanada are primarily backcountry based but blistergear is my go to for everything else. All unbiased reviews.

LilaGris likes this.
  2. rols

rols Addicted

Skialper for touring gear. You have to pay but their test methodology is solid, they tune all the skis before testing, use the same bindings on all skis and they actually measure characteristics of skis that are useful for comparing different models. That way you don't have to just rely on someones rambling subjective opinion.

3. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

Annabuzzy likes this.
  4. Pink

Pink One of Us

outdoorgearlab.com
    Newschoolers Roof Box Reviews

5. KL.

KL. One of Us

some nice reviews

6. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Perhaps all of us can aspire to Tele status one day DPSD?

Alas trying to demo new boards on a Tele set up is bug a pipe dream!

Would love to see it but the I believe no ski makers provide this in Aussie or NZ. God knows I have asked at their tents on both sides of the ditch.

Perhaps this could be on the mid term plan for DPS AustraliaNZ? Just one model & 2 or 3 sizes?
    Or one 75 mm & one NTN? C'mon how hard is that?

Come to Hotham and I'll try one! How's that for an offer?

7. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

It's not hard, just expensive. I set up two Tour 1's with Demo Dynafit Radical bindings and am getting some takers on them. One tele skier per resort or year doesn't add up for the binding or the ski financially. Hey! I'm the only guy at the demo day with AT bindings so .....

I would love to have a tele set up but I'm poor.

8. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Yes I hear you DPSD, Hard to justify if family / housing is priority one!

At the risk of bumping thread: is the Tour 1 a good candidate for tele treatment IYO? Or are others better?

FWIw: if I get my new Bishop tele binding over the next year or so,I’ll be looking for ~ 95mm wide ski thsts light enough to at least to side-country with skins (ie Mt Loch) but burly enough to some on piste/lift work on days when I need the extra width (soft spring/fresh), when my current 83mm wide skis start to struggle (sink). Cheers.

9. cornice11

cornice11 One of Us

10. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

The Alchemist construction is plenty light enough for side country touring and will smash the piste no problems at all.

If you want super light then the C95 Tour1 is only 1375 grams @178. It's plenty stiff enough torsionally to handle piste and whatever you throw at it. It's a little softer in flex than the Alchemist, so a little easier to ski but no suspension (damping) so can get a little harsh on the hard stuff.

Hopefully this answers your question but

11. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Howdy, yes it is does more or less. My current 'on piste' Rossi Powderbird 83mm is still quite useable. So I want to look at a crossover tour/ side country / fresh or spring soft snow piste ski. A bit jack of all trades - everything but firm Snow.

As I'm now into 6th decade, ski & binding weight is now quite an important issue - so if I can find a ski that will save half a kg that's great - as long as it's not at the expense of handling/downhill.

I don't won't much do I?

12. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

If that's the case the Tour1 construction is right up your alley. The Cassiar 95 would be perfect.

My offsider who helps me with demo days etc has booth the Alchemist and Tour1 construction in the same ski. W112. Also in the 6th decade. He says he enjoys the Tour1's more as he just loves the lightness without losing the ability to rip some piste. There are not many touring skis that can do what the Tour1 can do.

13. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Sounds brilliant - just the ticket. Assume either model takes well?

I might have to stagger gear purchases - (Bishop BMR)? Tele binding first, then ski, waiting as long as possible to change up to NTN, which the the Bishop allows via change of toe piece. Seems a great idea!

Fwiw:
    With extra mounts, one can change bindings between skis in minutes (four screws) - handy when a binding so costs $700 or so!

14. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Doh! (I was in a hurry). Meant to say ' takes skins well'. ....

15. Gearscore Hugo

Gearscore Hugo First Runs

There are also many ski reviews in Europe available on the web :

Proskilab is published in most european languages,
    "Skieur" is one of the leading reviews in France (with Proskilab),
    Neveitalia is the main ski review in Italy,
    "Gigi ski" is a very good test in the Netherlands,
    DSV ski test in Germany,
    etc...

Some of these tests are translated in English by Gearscore.com.

16. Ski Holidays Sue

Ski Holidays Sue Big White's go to ski guru Ski Pass: Gold

In Feb this year, I was lucky enough to demo a heap of ladies skis whilst at Big White with a friend or two. Here are our thoughts- no brand loyalty, no kick backs, just our own impressions.