Best areas to ski in fresh snow.

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by JustCantStop, Jul 22, 2018.

1. JustCantStop

JustCantStop Hard Yards

Hi there.

Heading up to Perisher for a week, first week of August. My home mountains are Falls/Hotham/Buller but i've been to Perisher four times so I know the basic layout - but not quite well enough!

While I'm there, according to Jane and others, there will be some significant snow fall. I know people have their secret spots, but can anyone recommend good areas to go to in fresh snow. My level is strong intermediate. I guess I'm looking for powder stashes, first tracks and lack of other powder hunting punters.

Thanks!

2. Slowman

Slowman One of Us
    Ski Pass: Gold

Alas you can't really avoid powder seeking fellow punters if you are skiing lift accessed slopes in a major resort in the middle of the season. I'd suggest trying to get over to Mt Perisher as early as possible and to ski around Eyre and International. Try to ski with a friend for safety and put the ski patrol phone number in your mobile phone.

3. chicski

chicski A Local

Front Valley is good ;)

Kash, SnowRabbit, Mils and 9 others like this.
  4. W0nkey D0nkey

W0nkey D0nkey One of Us
    Ski Pass: Silver

ha gonna tell

nfip likes this.
  5. JustCantStop

JustCantStop Hard Yards

Hehe yes - I think somehow I guessed Front Valley won't deliver any face shots. Checked the trail map and the Eyre and International t-bars are probably where I would've gone to anyway - as far away (in that direction) from front valley as possible, and they are t-bars, not lifts, which will put many people off. Sounds like a plan.

6. Gimp

Gimp One of Us

Paralyser ridgeline

PiedPiper, Belly, nfip and 2 others like this.
  7. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Nowhere, nothing to see here.;)

Only corduroy.:thumbs:

Jacko4650 and HSVGuy like this.
  8. bengarden

bengarden Addicted

Interceptor Trees off to right looking down from top of lift. Epic in Fresh.......

SnowRabbit and PiedPiper like this.
  9. oreo

oreo One of Us

Depends on your definition of strong intermediate... I would head to either Mount Perisher (Eyre/International) or Guthega or Ridge chair at Blue Cow.

10. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us

Oh FFS did ya have to ?

Kash, SnowRabbit, SnowBound and 11 others like this.
  11. W0nkey D0nkey

W0nkey D0nkey One of Us

Not even lying here.. Smiggins is the tits for fresh snow

rocketboy, skifree, Donzah and 2 others like this.
  12. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us

Sheltered from the wind, less people, great runs either side from the top of the duplex, tree runs from link t, dropping off the traverse from the top of link to piper, and doesn't get tracked out too quickly:) Because of the lower elevation you need a good low level dump though

W0nkey D0nkey, SMSkier and Ted Harper like this.
  13. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us

View up the hill from the lodge lounge room just now (with glimpses of the areas that @robbo mcs mentions above - which of course I could not comment on ;) ).

nfip, DidSurfNowSki and SMSkier like this.
  14. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them

Like anything, it depends.

On a normal day where the sun is out and the wind is blowing
    On a powder day when the top of the hill is socked in
    And I'd also add Kamikaze, Outer Limits and Rock Garden over at Blue Cow if the snow is really good.

Jacko4650 and Ted Harper like this.
  15. bengarden

bengarden Addicted

;) Gotta share the love.

16. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

I rate tree skiing of Smiggins in Blizzard too. Wind protection is good. Trees nicely spaced. Not many people skiing off piste

SnowRabbit and Lady Penelope like this.
  17. HSVGuy

HSVGuy Hard Yards

So many better places in Thredbo.

18. DidSurfNowSki

I skied both Perisher and Thredbo over the weekend. Good snow + skiing with great people = win. Doesn't matter where it is.

telecrag, notty, IAB and 3 others like this.
  19. cornice11

cornice11 Hard Yards

Which did you enjoy the skiing at more?

20. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us

Oh oh careful now. Massive thread derail in prospect

21. JeremyG

JeremyG Hard Yards

If you are not quick most places get skied out pretty quickly - but here is my best pick. Outer Limits at Blue Cow (skier left looking down after you get off Ridge Chair) - pretty huge area, holds snow very well.
    Below Kamikaze (if an intermediate Kamikaze is probably too steep - although great place to have a go in fresh snow - but you can cut in from the bottom of Zali’s.
    Eyre at Mt Perisher is hard too pass up. When it is snowing or blowing, it can be fresh tracks after fresh tracks. It is a huge area and there is fun to be had for a while. I also like anything around Sun Valley T-bar. It is really fun terrain and is often forgotten about. One of the last places to get tracked out.
    If you are first on the Mountain - centre valley / Leichhardt are great and typically where the Perisher promo shots come from, but does not last long.
    Finally, Interceptor, followed by North Perisher. Again, there are. Lots of different routes around Interceptor, just explore, it all comes down to Interceptor, Pretty Valley or North P. North P is not groomed and is not that popular, so plenty of fun for a long time. May be tough as an intermediate, but go for it, falling in soft snow is fun and great way too explore places.

Jacko4650 and skifree like this.
  22. Mick_Molloy_Au

Mick_Molloy_Au Early Days

I'm surprised nobody made mention of the cleft. It so often gets overlooked. It might be shorter but is has a fair bit of vertical, and has some trees if you are game. *edit* acknowledge the Leichhardt call.

23. DidSurfNowSki

For me, skiing is all about enjoying the moment. I've had just as much fun lapping the Magic Carpet#3 on opening weekend compared with boot deep tree skiing at Perisher or Thredbo.

telecrag, Mils, skifree and 1 other person like this.
  24. skifree

This ^^^^^

25. IAB

IAB A Local

You should be a politician ;)

DidSurfNowSki likes this.
  26. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us

True:) However, I would point out that on that particular opening day when Perisher had the magnificent magic carpet for us, exactly what did thredbo have on offer ..... :p

IAB likes this.
  27. skifree

Power would corrupt him.

IAB likes this.
  28. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us

Whilst everyone else is going hammer and tong at Interceptor, North Perisher, Outer Limits or Eyre, freshies at Guthega don't rate. That's my opinion, so spread the word. If temps drop, we might be able to undertake a test of everyone's theories tomorrow morning???

Mils likes this.
  29. DidSurfNowSki

FIFY ;)

Ha, Thredbo has plenty of apres ski things to do :D

30. HSVGuy

HSVGuy Hard Yards

I would have thought everyone in this thread would agree Perisher is rubbish after fresh snow. ;):whistle:

skifree and Jacko4650 like this.
  31. skifree

It is, that’s when we all go ski Thredbo leaving thread followers in Perisher.;)

HSVGuy likes this.
  32. Mils

Mils One of Us

If its a really good dump, hit up double trouble. Short fast, steep into a groovy tree run, or devils if you have balls of steel. Double comes out at a chair now so easy run back.

As others have mentioned Sun Valley and Interceptor are great with it really piles on. These are kinda not popular(ish) spots but reality is everything will be tracked out by 10am so get in early enjoy that first run and just love it up, knowing its all tracked from there on in.

Mt P is great when is a little wind with the snow as it will wipe out previous tracks but you need to be geared up and be able to ski with next to no vis.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  33. LDJ

LDJ Addicted

Parachute top to bottom is awesome in pow (or was. Last time I did it) and any of the blues/blacks in Guthega when it’s snowing and the wind is refilling by the time you do the next run but that could be the case anywhere.

sbm_ likes this.
  34. LDJ

LDJ Addicted

haven’t done much offpiste in Perisher due to conditions when I have been there. Got lucky one year with parachute why’s DT and Devil’s so hard? Is it obstacles, lack of snow? Have skied lots of offpiste (with missus) in Jap, Canada and Europe and will be in Perisher from 6th aug and seeing if missus would enjoy devils if we get lucky with conditions.

35. sbm_

sbm_ One of Us

Parachute, Double Trouble and Devil's Playgound have north-facing, sunny aspects. They don't hold snow and only get good skiable cover temporarily before it melts. Compare to Eyre with its perfect shady SSW aspect.

36. HSVGuy

HSVGuy Hard Yards

I haven't done Devil's Playground but I've done Double Trouble. I did it too late in the day and the snow had gotten wet and heavy so wasn't great. I expect it is only double black to keep people out of there. While I didn't hike up to the top of the second/proper hill it wasn't that steep or densely populated with trees.

37. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ...

I’ll second what others have said here ... Smiggins in the trees (seriously! And definitely if the weather is wild), Interceptor/North Perisher, and Centre Valley, especially The Cleft and Powder Ridge. Mt P can get a bit wind-scoured for my liking, and the visibility is terrible in bad weather, but there’s certainly powder to be found after fresh snow!

38. IAB

IAB A Local

Parachute is my fave when it's on, but you have to be so lucky to hit it on those few days a year when its really good.

39. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us

IMHO that side of the hill at Guthega hasn’t been nearly as good since the bushfire went through; much less foliage to catch the snow and also to give shade to preserve it once it has fallen.

I used to love powder skiing out wide from Parachute and down to the road and hike back up to the ski centre (or notably - back in the separate-resort days - when they used to run the little shuttle bus for overflow parking down the road they would give us a ride back) or a last-minute traverse back in to make it to near the bottom of the chair.

W0nkey D0nkey, IAB and cornice11 like this.
  40. Mils

Mils One of Us

Devils is very dense with the trees and if its not tracked out you will be either going slow as hell to find your line or throat in mouth adjustments to avoid tree, stumps, and any other random thing you can find! :)

I really recommend the trek over to DT on a good dump, you earn your turns with the walk over and go hard as its steep and fun, then flattens out fast and then its just find your line through the widely packed trees and creeks.

LDJ likes this.