Best car-camping style tent for touring?

Bal

One of Us
Jul 30, 1998
Anchorage, Alaska
Hey guys

I am looking into buying a new tent that I can use for rafting trips in Alaska. I only own 1 tent right now - a 2 person 4-season Salewa mountaineering tent. I would like a bigger car camping style tent that I could use for these trips as weight and size are not a big factor for rafting and it would also be nice to have for those trips where I am camping fairly close to a vehicle.

Ideally what I am looking for is full-height tent that will be big enough for me and the +1 (& 2 small dogs on occassion) and to fit a king/queen blow-up matress when we want to. (no need for the 3/4 ultra-light thermarest on these trips) I am also looking for something that sets up fairly quickly for touring where you are on the move every day. Rain can also be a big factor in Alaska nad it would be nice to have something that wasn't so complicated to pull down such that the whole tent was saturated by the time you packed up. (Nothing worse than trying to set up a tent on day 2 onwards that is saturated)

I am really lost when it comes to thse types of tents as it's been 15 years or so since I have done this style of camping. When I used to take my 4WD up to Fraser Island a lot of people were using heavy canvas style tents with a square base and a single center pole that could be substituted with internal side poles and roof frame when you wanted the extra floor space inside.

Maybe what I really need to do it buy a lightweight tarp - I could then set it up first and then be able to set my Salewa tent up underneath it. That way my tent would be mostly dry when I pack it down each day and only the tarp would be packed away wet. (Remember that we don't have the sun and warm temps dry dry gear out too easily). The tarp would then give me the extra room for gear and I could keep the tent just for sleeeping.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Luko

One of Us
Jul 25, 2002
Melbourne/California
No experience myself with car camping tents but I have heard the Black Wolf tents are pretty good and the Turbo range are quick to put up and down. Although they are canvas

http://www.blackwolf.com.au/tents/

Or maybe one of these!
wink.gif

OU9376m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Yeah - get one of those super-dooper tents they have there with fire-places and chimneys.
laugh.gif
(just kidding)

The MSR Wind 4 seems a pretty cool tent:
Sleeps up to 4
Integrated fly (ie: erect inner and fly together)
Tested up to 135kph winds in test tunnels
2 doors, 2 vestibules, baffled walls for increased warmth & protection
Internal floor area - 5 sq m, vestibules - 1.6 sq m Internal height - 1.73 m (so you should be able to stand up in it if you're a short-ass)
Weight - 6.5 to 7.4 kg

Bal

One of Us
Jul 30, 1998
Anchorage, Alaska
Mr. Bungle - Thanks for the Black Wolf link. I really haven't looked at this style of tent in a long time. I watched the video on the BW website which shows you how to set up their tent. I had abviously forgotten how HUGE these things are when they get packed back down. I am beginning to think that a good lightweight tarp to put over the top of my tent is the way to go. Even if the tarp is saturated, I can set it up when I hit camp and let the underside dry out before setting up my little tent underneath - that way my tent stays dry and I've extnded the living and storage area out under the tarp.

I had the oppotunity to buy any of the Mtn Hardware tents at 50% off earlier this winter. That giant dome above was still USD$2.5k.

Bal

One of Us
Jul 30, 1998
Anchorage, Alaska
teckel said:
Yeah - get one of those super-dooper tents they have there with fire-places and chimneys.
laugh.gif
(just kidding)

Don't kid - I've already drooled over the Arctic Oven tent made here in Anchorage.

arcticoven-arktikalit.jpg

Doesn't look like MSR still make the tent you reffered to, but I am sure there is something similar in their ncurrent lineup.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Bal said:
Doesn't look like MSR still make the tent you reffered to, but I am sure there is something similar in their ncurrent lineup.
It's in the 2007 Australian catalogue
confused.gif

Googling it, heaps of yank stores still have it, but they all say "unable to ship to Alaska"
frown.gif

eg: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=254169

Instead of a tarp, you may want to think about an MSR "wing". It's like what you're talking about, but is supported by only 2 poles. They have the ParaWing (16.7 sq m), OutfitterWing (18.5 sq m) and Pavilion (30sq m). You'd need to check that they were high enough to go over your tent though.

Bal

One of Us
Jul 30, 1998
Anchorage, Alaska
teckel said:
Instead of a tarp, you may want to think about an MSR "wing". It's like what you're talking about, but is supported by only 2 poles. They have the ParaWing (16.7 sq m), OutfitterWing (18.5 sq m) and Pavilion (30sq m). You'd need to check that they were high enough to go over your tent though.

They are exactly the "tarps" I have been looking at and the nice thing is I think they have pockets so you can use raft oars instead of poles. If I was a true Alaskan I would just rig something using old blue tarps and duct tape. (The Walmart in the Mat-Su Valley just outside Anchorage is apparently the worlds largest retailer of blue tarps and duct tape)

PK Sawd

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2001
Hobart, TAS, Australia
Bal, I have recently purchased a tent for similar purposes, introducing the little tackers to this great country. I ended up getting a Black Wolf Turbo tent with associated annexe add-ons. I like a quick erection and the tent module fits the bill....but the add-ons take quite a while.

It weighs a ton and I have become a trailer-camper these days with all the crap the girls want to take with them. You can never have too many teddy bears when going bush (or giraffes for that matter).

I looked also at tents made by Freedom camping and I was impressed with the build quality (good canvas, ykk zips etc.) and design of their tourer tents but their flys (add-ons etc.) seemed to be somewhat shoehorned on to the tent module as an afterthought (though effective with experienced use. I felt the BW add-ons were more integrally designed around the main tent and they are more integrally pitched. +1 and I decided we were keen to stop in places maybe a week or more so this swayed our decision. But if I was moving around more I would have given the Freedom tourer tents the nod I think.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

otw

First Runs
Apr 18, 2000
All Round
Check out the MSR Boardroom - the stainless steel security cable for locking up bikes and other valuables feature sounds interesting
shocked.gif

schneeschleicher

Hard Yards
May 11, 2008
Sydney
I am reviving this post because I have the same question (minus Alaska etc) 13 years later. So, basically, are Black Wolf still a good go to for car camping?

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
I'm happy with both of mine except for the use of cheap Chinese alloy poles rather than brand name Chinese poles, although the new models use larger and stronger steel poles they are much heavier and more bulky to stash

Ultra2.0

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 27, 2020
i use this for the car camping setup, with a good foam camping bed, and my -20 sleeping bag, never been comfier. 30 seconds up, about 5 min pack up time.

IMG_0141.jpg

for hiking, i have the WE second Arrow.

Reactions: skifree

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
Why not respond to a 13 YO thread?
Two recent long trips around Aus we have used 2 x $80 KMart tents. The zips went on the first one. If you pitch well they’ll survive some pretty decent rain/wind. Go cheap and and keep it simple for no fuss car camping. Spend your dough on good lite gear for bushwalking to get away from all the other punters. A car camping recent revelation has been using good, but a bit bulky, monstamats from tentworld, so much more comfy than a Thermarest neo, air they make you feel like your in luxury accommodation after a few nights on the trail. For hiking/ ski touring tarptents.
D770E18A-AE1F-486E-89D1-BE5A5E41D8BF.jpeg

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
OzTent RV-2 has served me well for car camping. 10 years old, has ranged from heavy near every weekend use to more occasional in recent times. Island Bend to dunes. No real wear and tear, do need to replace the bag though. At 2m long (packs cylindrical) need big wagon or roof racks.
I also have WE 2nd arrow, it was ok, don't overnight hike anymore but it's handy if travelling lighter, boy may use into the future.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
i use this for the car camping setup, with a good foam camping bed, and my -20 sleeping bag, never been comfier. 30 seconds up, about 5 min pack up time.

IMG_0141.jpg

for hiking, i have the WE second Arrow.

I can see it's a Coleman, but what's the full version name and number??

Ultra2.0

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 27, 2020
i have an old original Oztent, decades old now, well faded, and still in perfectly useable condition, but it is HEAVY and as with the RV2, it's 2 meters long packed. it was replaced in service by the Coleman darkroom instant up 4 sleepers. much lighter and a lot smaller.

Ultra2.0

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 27, 2020
I can see it's a Coleman, but what's the full version name and number??
our version is now superseded by this model,

Ours is the Darkroom version, which doesn't look like its made anymore, well, it is, but with added interior lighting, and a hoop across the top and front. the fly is a lot thicker and turns it into a really dark space if you enjoy a sleep-in, or have kids that you want to get to sleep early. it actually is surprisingly dark inside even on a full sun day. it helps with the insulation as well.

Reactions: skifree and Richard
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass