1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Best car parking and luggage transport options

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by mynameisshaun, Jul 13, 2014.

1. mynameisshaun

mynameisshaun Hard Yards

Hi all,
    My name is Shaun (can you tell) and I've been a bit of a lurker on the forum for a while now.
    7 mates and I are heading up to Buller tomorrow morning and skiing Monday through to Friday. We're staying on mountain and taking 3 cars.

Due to the ludicrous price of the snow taxis from the long term carparks up to the village, we want to take all of our luggage from the cars up to the village in one trip at the end of Monday (we can't check in until 4.00pm). My question is what is our best option in terms of parking and transporting our luggage up from the cars to the village, it seems as though Buller makes this as difficult and expensive for you as possible.
    Thanks in advance

2. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Shaun,

Buller decides where you will park, and on a Monday I think they put you in Chalet, or CSIR if you are staying overnight. You have to tell them this at the gate when they give you your sticker. You pay for the oversnow per person, so it doesnt matter when you go up.

In your situation I would speak to the traffic control guys. You may be able to dump all your gear for the day (skis/poles/backpack/boots etc) up at HH ski hire, then drive back down to your overnight carpark and park your car. Then you'd need to walk back up to the lifts. I'd ski all day then come back around 4 and call for a taxi back at your car. Speak to them and explain the situation.

Also, depending on where you are staying you may be able to dump all your gear in the lobby or somewhere inside your accommodation. If you can do that I would do that, then you're in the village and ready to go. Most places are OK with it.

3. mynameisshaun

mynameisshaun Hard Yards

Thanks a ton Vermillion! Will contact accommodation first thing tomorrow morning and see if we can dump our gear there in the morning. Otherwise, Plan B is to park at HH during the day and take cars down to long term car park at the end of the day. Thanks again, might see you out there!

4. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah most guys will be OK if you just dump the gear in the ski room/drying room/downstairs etc as long as you pretty much dump it and go (which is what you want to do anyway) IE dont loiter around until check-in time.

5. hangingpixels

hangingpixels Hard Yards

Hi, I have heard from other people that some accomodation I would need to park at an overnight carpark and then catch a taxi to it? At the cost of $21 per person per trip? With allowable of 1 luggage? Is this true? Im staying at Snowflake 8 coming weekend and when I called buller they said I would have to catch the taxi. Am I not able to drive to the accomodation or at least close to it and off load, then take the car to the car park? All other resort that I have stay at let me do that, Thredbo, Hotham and anywhere in Japan. I have a newborn and I am a photographer/videographer, I have never travel with just ONE bag. Please let me know if there are alternative options as this would make buller far less appealing than hotham if I have to catch alternative transport. Please let me know. I have 4WD with chains. Or can I tell the attendants that im staying so where else just to off load. I mean I can other cars right on the snow are they official cars only, surely it can't be. This will be my first time staying overnight in Buller. Thank you.

6. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

You won't be able to drive in to the village or anywhere near your accommodation, you are right it is a disincentive for using buller for overnight trips.

7. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Not having a go at you HP but ROFLROFLROFLROFL

It's Buller. They're special. Never you, the customer.

BTW you are not allowed and/or able to drive to your accommodation at Falls Creek, Charlottes Pass, some places a Perisher. and lots of places in Japan.

8. cat11

cat11 Hard Yards

hangingpixels, i have heard people mention vip car passes at buller. Enquiry to parking@mtbuller.com.au would be my suggestion.

9. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Im going for three days.
    Bus from Mirimbah to village is $56 return, take all the bags you need no extra.
    You can get the Bus from Mansfield for $6 more and there is a carpark behind bus depot.
    No need to drive up the hill to park, then wait for Taxi at $21 a head each way + resort entry for 2 nights for the car.
    Ill get 7:30 bus from Mirimbah, get up there and drop gear in lodge which is very close to bus stop then get on skis by 9 for the day.

But you'd be up there by now so not much help to you.

10. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    yep, DbSki has it. We always tell our friends and renters to leave the car at Mirimbah and catch the bus. No ski hire, no hassle. Snowflake is a bit of a hike with loads of luggage compared to our place but you can save a bit of dough.

@skichanger - I know Buller are good at slugging guests but I'd say there are few places in Aus where you can drive to accom so to suggest Buller is "special" is a bit naughty perhaps. Falls Creek and Perisher are equally as special IMHO.....;)

11. wolly

wolly One of Us

BTW its $21.50 from car park to your lodge. and 2 bags per person plus skis boots poles or snowboard and boots.
    as dbski said ,the bus from mirimbah is a great alternative. do your sums , explore both options, driving and bus and see which one is cheaper. let me know if you need a hand with prices etc.....

12. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Habitual line stepper Ski Pass: Gold

[​IMG]

I did the maths and it was cheaper than a season of Village Taxis.

Chicks love it too.

13. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I know. I was being a bit cheeky. Hey I did comment that you cannot drive to your accommodation at other places. Falls creek is also a pain. But my experience at Buller is tainted by the car park load into the taxi and the run (slide) away taxi at our lodge that would have killed us if were unknowing enough to have walked around the front.

14. sbt99

sbt99 Hard Yards

Mansfield to Village Sq on bus has always meant free taxi for me! Just hopped straight of the bus and into a taxi, taxi driver never asked to see a ticket and I've always thought it was included in the ticket.

15. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I took your advice on Tuesday @mx_boarder

[​IMG]

mx_boarder likes this.
  16. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Ok ok I wasn't in it, but never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.;)