Best GPS App for BC

Mattaus

First Runs
Feb 24, 2011
Hi all,

I figure this belongs here because I believe it's classed as 'equipment'. Of course if there is another more suitable place (I looked but that's not saying much) then please feel free to kick it over yonder...

I recently bought an extended life battery for my phone meaning I now get an easy 24hrs+ out of it, even with the GPS running the whole time. What I am looking for is a GPS app that doesn't need a data connection for online maps (off-line map storage), and is not tuned to some gimmick feature (like calculating your 'sick' air etc) and is not limited to the resort grounds. From the moment I hit go, I want to know where I've been, and the path I took to get there. I want to be able to retrace my steps and mark specific locations. I don't care if it costs $$$ as long as it works well. Android compatible (I'm running a Galaxy Nexus with custom ROM).

I've found "BackCountry Navigator PRO GPS" and "BackpackerGPS Trails Pro".

Any suggestions? Anyone using similar software?

Thanks,

- Matt

iGlenn

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2007
Two of the better ones i use are Oziexplorer and Orux maps.
Orux uses downloadable maps from public sources which you can cache (ie google earth), and Oziexplorer uses digital map files as used with Hema's etc (think paper maps but on phone). Both have their strong points.

Mattaus

First Runs
Feb 24, 2011
Thanks, I'll check them out
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Question is whether your phone needs a connection to get a fix. I seem to recall one Android model didn't. But if yours does then clearly it's of limited use BC.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Good questions.

For serious BC IMO stump up for the middle level Garmin eTrex. Pretty cheap, reliable and you get to play with track and route up/downloads: overlay tracks on Google Maps to see where you've been and share the files with others.

Mattaus

First Runs
Feb 24, 2011
I didn't up using Orux (which I downloaded). I think I will go for a dedicated device to be honest, even though Orux appears to work offline. I just like things that are purpose built for one task, especially when my life is potentially in its hands!

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
Ziggy said:
Good questions.

For serious BC IMO stump up for the middle level Garmin eTrex. Pretty cheap, reliable and you get to play with track and route up/downloads: overlay tracks on Google Maps to see where you've been and share the files with others.

I have the Etrex 20. yet to give a real test but it seems fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
huckanddyno.wordpress.com
None of them, according to my mate.

I didn't believe him, so I downloaded several apps that were recommended, and took my phone out with me bushwalking for the day.

It took barely an hour for me to admit that yes, my phone was useless for GPS navigation, despite the eight satellites I apparently had contact with.

My mate is right. If you're going to rely on GPS, get a real one.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass