1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Best lift for beginners and parking at Smiggins

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Pau1, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Pau1

Pau1 First Runs

Hi I am going down to Perisher this weekend with my 5 year old son. This is the second time this year and last time he had lessons at front valley on the magic carpet. The instructor said he was ready to learn how ride the chair lift. My question is which chair lift would be the easiest to learn on. I am talking about getting on and off the chair and the ski run because the village 8 could be a big jump for him. He is booked in more lessons at smiggins this trip. Would they take him on any chair lifts in smiggins?

Also he is booked in to a 11am lesson at Smiggins on the Saturday. We are leaving from Canberra in the morning and have to hire gear at Jindabyne on the way through. What time should we leave Canberra and do you think I can still get parking at smiggins keeping in mind that the weather looks good and it could be busy.

2. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

Hello @Pau1 and welcome to the forums! Firstly, parking at Smiggins would be the ideal option (as opposed to Skitube) as it is so close to the lifts. Not far to walk when you have a 5 year-old and are most likely carting his skis at least some of the way.. Allow 15-20 minutes at least to sort out gear hire. Time2Ride or Jindabyne Sports (both in the same shopping centre in Jindabyne - first on the left as you come in) are good. Personally, I would leave Canberra by 5.00 - 5.15am at the latest. You really need to be at Smiggins by 8.30ish to guarantee a car park spot. The only chair lift at Smiggins is the Kaaaten Triple Chair which is well suited to beginners: slow, easy to get on, and a short dismount. He may stack at the top but lots of people do ... I think it’s easier than coping with multiple people getting off the Village 8 and then having to dodge the many milling around at the top. There are also pomas (J bars) at Smiggins which are very easy for skiers to ride. Is he a skier or boarder? Smiggins is a great spot for beginners; he should have a ball.

oldgeezer and nfip like this.
  3. Pau1

Pau1 First Runs

Thanks for your reply my son is a skier. The Kaaten triple chair sounds perfect. We would like to leave early but we nearly got taken out by a kangaroo driving in the dark between Cooma and Canberra last queens birthday long weekend but if we leave at 5.45 should be light. Hope we can get a park there

4. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Hi Paul. Welcome.
    You could hire your gear from Rythm at Smiggs, possible to book in advance, or hire shop under the pub.
    I'd leave earlier as LP advised.
    Dodging the wildlife is an unfortunate part of the biz.
    Should see the armour and lighting on the front of my car !. ;)
    It's the other cars / drivers that honestly worry me more .

Ted Harper likes this.
  5. Lady Penelope

I’m a Canberra day tripper too. Last Sunday I slept in :eek: and didn’t leave until 5.45am. We made it to Smiggins primarily in the light and scored a parking spot shortly after 8.10. Getting a park is the main thing - you may want to follow up @nfip’s suggestion above and rent through Rhythm/Snowline - more expensive but at least you’ll get that park! Edit: as long as you are there by 8.30am you should be ok. Another option is to rent gear from Straightline in Canberra (Fyshwick) the night before.

Ted Harper, Belly and nfip like this.
  6. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

It's Saturday, and it's interschools. I would definitely want to be on the hill early as Lady P says. You don't want to stop in Jindy on the way. Get to Smiggs, grab the gear on the hill, relax with a cuppa (hot choc for the little guy), have a play with him, then everyone is relaxed before the lesson. Hiring on the hill has the added benefit of easy exchange if something doesn't fit quite right. I think you can actually order it all online with Rhythm and have it ready for you at Smiggs.

Charlie and nfip like this.
  7. Pau1

Pau1 First Runs

Yes I agree we should get there as early as possible. I think I will go with Rhythm even though it is double the price of Jindabyne. Ski hire for 1 adult and 2 child are as follows: The Base Jindabyne $120, Rhythm $243 and Perisher website $342:eek: Does anyone know anything about the other ski hire place in Smiggs that nfip mentioned?

8. chicski

http://www.snowlineskicentre.com.au

9. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

It's the Perisher hire you quoted.
    Likely a package if you book in advance and do ticket and hire combo.
    https://www.perisher.com.au/tickets-passes/hire

Belly likes this.
  10. Lady Penelope

There are two hire places at Smiggins: Snowline/Rhythm over the road from the Smiggins Hotel and ski lifts, and the Perisher outlet in the lower ground floor area of the Hotel. Definitely think about a bundle: a reasonably good deal with lift ticket, gear hire, and lesson included.

11. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us

Renting in Canberra the afternoon before (Belco Ski n Board if Belconnen or Straightline if southside) OR at Smiggs would beat Jindabyne if time is short.

Leaving at 5:45am would be far too late from north side and a tad late from southside. Better to be up the Monaro Hwy hill by 5:30am I reckon. The roos are a problem this year and in the dark are a worry as even with great driving lights the cars coming the other way means mostly you are on low beam anyway. However it is starting to get a reasonably light by 5:45am now so should be fine and don't feel you have to drive like Stirling Moss (old timer's saying).

I did quite a few runs on Saturday off the J-bars and Kaaten on Saturday, with MrsOG, always tentative, and they are good environments.

PS. Please post a report of how it goes with the little guy including the fit out, early start etc as well as the on slope experience and how he fares. I have an interest in how it goes as I am wanting to introduce my 4.5yo grandson to the snow experience and that will be useful info. GrandPa and GrandMa are hoping to do a day trip with him Wed next week but just snowplay at Perisher with tube ride etc as part of it. His younger bro will be spitting chips but the two of them together are a handful. So we are taking it one step at a time.

Ted Harper likes this.
  12. Pau1

Pau1 First Runs

Thanks for all your great help. I will definitely write a report and let you guys know how it went. I have my son who is 5 and can do linked snowplough turns and my 2 year old daughter who can ski down the hill but can’t stop or turn. Not sure if I can teach her how to do a snowplough. The Mrs will also be along but not skiing.

13. Aractus

Aractus Early Days

The hire shops all open at 7 in Jindy, so if you want to be there at 7 leave at 5. Unlike the other suggestions, I would suggest you get your hire gear in Jindy, it's by far your cheapest option. If you get to Jindy at 7 you won't have to wait for anyone to get your hire gear. The Perisher car park fills first, not the Smiggins car park, so you should be able to still park in it around 9:30. But if you're leaving later then you should give more time to get the hire gear as they may be busy around 8-8:30 or later, also there is sometimes a queue to get park entry if you need it as well. This late in the season you can leave at 5:30 and you'll be driving in daylight pretty much the entire way from the ACT boundary. Just remember to keep an eye out for the wombats as well not just the roos - sometimes they are by the side of the road and very much alive and ready to cause someone an accident!

14. Lady Penelope

For most of the past 4-6 weeks Smiggins car park has been FULL by 9.00.

Ted Harper likes this.
  15. Pau1

Pau1 First Runs

Just hired my gear from Rhythm. I'm good to go! thanks for all the great ideas.:) I'm hoping its snow i am seeing on the Front Valley cam:confused:

nfip and Ted Harper like this.
  16. chicski

It’s not. But there’s plenty of cover and it’s going to clear this morning. Have fun!

Pau1 likes this.
  17. Aractus

Aractus Early Days

Really? That is crazy. I've never seen Smiggins get full that early myself, but then I tend to arrive at Perisher by 8 so I haven't seen it first hand in a while. If it's full by 9 then you'd want to aim to be leaving Canberra at 5:30 (or 5:15 from Gungahlin) if you're getting hire gear and park entry.

18. Aractus

Aractus Early Days

I was up on Saturday, got there at 0755 (approx) to Perisher. When I left around 1430 there were cars parked on Kosciuszko Rd all the way to Smiggins. I have seen it much worse though, however based on that and where the Perisher carpark was when I was there I would guess that the Smiggins carpark was full by around 0845-0915 on Saturday.

I hope Pau1 and his son had a great day!!

Pau1 likes this.
  19. Pau1

Pau1 First Runs

Trip Report - We left Canberra a bit late (6.30am) and drove straight to Smiggins and arrived(9:10am) to a beautiful day without incident. By this time the carpark filling up fast. We got our gear at Snowline Rhythm and sorted out the lift tickets. Got my son into his lesson and then took my daughter to Zoe's Carpet. After helping her for a while, I left my wife to mind my daughter(she was having a great time) and I went to have a ski around Smiggins and saw my son on the Captain cook J-bar. He was doing great. When picking up my son from the lesson the instructor said he was doing really well and had been on the Kaaten triple chair. We had some lunch at Smiggins then drove to Perisher for the afternoon and night skiing. My son really loved the Village 8 chair and was skiing faster than me. The second day was much the same as the first except the weather was very variable. I went off on the Link T-bar and then the Interceptor and on to Pleasant valley. I couldn't see anything but somehow found the Blue Cow terminal then I got lost and ended up back at the Pleasant valley quad which was on wind hold. So I couldn't ski back to Smiggins. So I went up the Brumby T-bar then the Ski Tube and bus to Smiggins. For the rest of the day we went back to Front Valley for more laps on the Village 8 and he tried the Mitchell T-Bar a couple of times. So it was a great trip with my son doing much better than I thought he would. My daughter also had a great time and next year will be 3 years old and can go into some lessons.