Best ski bags for travel

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
So what’s the collective wisdom?

I’m currently using the Burton Wheelie Gig bag. I can get two pairs of skis in and clothes for a 2 week trip, but it’s super tight to the airline weight limit. Tough as material though - much tougher than I gather the Douche Bag is. Mines done 5 trips so far and looks close to new.

Sadly while there’s a non wheeled gig back it has much smaller dimensions.

what’s the best ski bag?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Nope but it has a removable bag that you can use for dirty boots, or your washing etc.

Now that I think about it not many bags have internal straps.
Thanks, both my existing bags do and I use them to hold the skis against the floor of the bag adding some structural rigidity, I hate a banana bag. Unfortunately they are both on the way out so I am looking for a replacement. I will continue cogitating.

Reactions: Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Thanks, both my existing bags do and I use them to hold the skis against the floor of the bag adding some structural rigidity, I hate a banana bag. Unfortunately they are both on the way out so I am looking for a replacement. I will continue cogitating.
I can say the Burton Wheelie gig has internal straps. And it’s burly. If I could get the exact same bag without the wheels I’d be a happy man. Only goes to 180cm though (I think it fits to about 183cm/184cm or so).

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
I can say the Burton Wheelie gig has internal straps. And it’s burly. If I could get the exact same bag without the wheels I’d be a happy man. Only goes to 180cm though (I think it fits to about 183cm/184cm or so).
I am only a munchkin so a 160 cm bag will do me, otherwise I have a floppy end to deal with.....Ill have a look

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
I have a Salomon race bag, similar to, but not exactly the same as the top one:
Salomon-Connect-2-Pairs-Wheely-Skisleeve_ml.jpg

It's been solid enough up to date, when I use it.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I wouldn’t take anything other than a douchebag now, mainly because our boards range from 149 to 186 and we can adjust to accomodate whichever boards we are transporting. Even with less durability, the flexibility is worth having to replace them more often IMHO

Reactions: Ozgirl

Peanut

One of Us
Mar 3, 2018
My bag is a wheelie Quicksilver snowboard bag. The bag is 160cm and my skis are 156cm, so it all works out nicely. Hubby has the Dakine Fall Line for his behemoth 185cm skis. There’s things I like and dislike about both bags, but my preference is a little more towards my bag.

Reactions: Annabuzzy

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
I wouldn’t take anything other than a douchebag now, mainly because our boards range from 149 to 186 and we can adjust to accomodate whichever boards we are transporting. Even with less durability, the flexibility is worth having to replace them more often IMHO
I only got 1 and a half trips out of my douchebag slim jim. A real pity as I love the design but considering the price I cant justify them given the lack of durability.

Olgreg

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 21, 2011
Dolans Bay
Yep mine came apart around the handle at the start of its third trip. Gaffer tape got me through.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
This is by far the toughest ski bag I've used. We call it the DPS Rolling Quiver bag. Takes three sets of skis and has internal straps. It's a beast.
I have about a dozen ski bags and as you might imagine they get punished. My fleet consists of these and the Dakine Fall Line. The Fall Line is lighter than the Quiver Bag which is a consideration on air travel. I've travelled overseas with both and each has their pluses and minuses.
The Quiver fits everything in and allows me to separate tools and paperwork etc. So I tend to use it more.

ski-bag-2.png

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
This is by far the toughest ski bag I've used. We call it the DPS Rolling Quiver bag. Takes three sets of skis and has internal straps. It's a beast.
I have about a dozen ski bags and as you might imagine they get punished. My fleet consists of these and the Dakine Fall Line. The Fall Line is lighter than the Quiver Bag which is a consideration on air travel. I've travelled overseas with both and each has their pluses and minuses.
The Quiver fits everything in and allows me to separate tools and paperwork etc. So I tend to use it more.

ski-bag-2.png
Tell em the price son!

Reactions: LMB
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra

ski-bag-2.png
What's the empty weight?

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Side note -> This is something I find perplexing in bags labelled as "carry-on". I have a 7Kg weight allowance, and the bag you are suggesting that I use is 2.5-3Kg? why would I want to devote nearly 30% of my weight limit to the bag itself?
That exact dilemma is how the Douchebag gained traction when it came out in ~2012. Allowances shrank to 20-ish kg on some airlines and most full-featured wheeled double ski bags back then weighed around 7kg so a bag weighing 3.5 was a revelation, at the cost of a bit of durability.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
That exact dilemma is how the Douchebag gained traction when it came out in ~2012. Allowances shrank to 20-ish kg on some airlines and most full-featured wheeled double ski bags back then weighed around 7kg so a bag weighing 3.5 was a revelation, at the cost of a bit of durability.

Great notion for a product - not a fan of the name. I get that it's a bit ridiculous, and I am happy to cop to that, but I'm wouldn't like to haul around a "DoucheBag", just as I wouldn't wear gloves/mittens from "Shitty titties" (another real brand).

Reactions: CarveMan

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Great notion for a product - not a fan of the name. I get that it's a bit ridiculous, and I am happy to cop to that, but I'm wouldn't like to haul around a "DoucheBag", just as I wouldn't wear gloves/mittens from "Shitty titties" (another real brand).
They have transitioned to 'Db' - which is good. I've never been sure walking around with 'vag washer' emblazoned across my luggage is a positive.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
You’re not alone there. But as cm has said the branding is now subtle.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Mine is holding up pretty well!

3 trips to Japan and dragged it around Europe for over a month.

we now own 4 douchebags in the family and havent had a single issue with any if them.
One has been to Canada 5 times, Japan twice and thedbo 6 or so.
And they reallly get stuffed as I take a board and skis

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
I just use a single over the shoulder soft ski bag, a small backpack as a carry on and a regular suitcase. I find this arrangement easier to handle than with everything in a DB. Particularly when faced with

179194_50bba718275cfda2f590802d989e85c9.jpeg

@Heinz ;)

Those 63 (or was it 70?) steps would be a good test for any large wheeled bag ;)

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

southpaw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2018
Canberra
we now own 4 douchebags in the family and havent had a single issue with any if them.
One has been to Canada 5 times, Japan twice and thedbo 6 or so.
And they reallly get stuffed as I take a board and skis
I’m quite perplexed about the experiences people have had with the douchebag not holding up. Our dB roller is about 3 years old and has done 3 OS trips and is in mint condition. It also looks and feels quite burly. On my recent trip to Japan I did see an older dB roller at the airport ( when they were emblazoning it with the full “Douchebag” logo) and I could see the construction looked a lot more flimsy than mine. It might be that they improved materials and construction in later models.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
I’m quite perplexed about the experiences people have had with the douchebag not holding up. Our dB roller is about 3 years old and has done 3 OS trips and is in mint condition. It also looks and feels quite burly. On my recent trip to Japan I did see an older dB roller at the airport ( when they were emblazoning it with the full “Douchebag” logo) and I could see the construction looked a lot more flimsy than mine. It might be that they improved materials and construction in later models.

yeah my first is an early gen black “douchebag” and still going well

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
They have transitioned to 'Db' - which is good. I've never been sure walking around with 'vag washer' emblazoned across my luggage is a positive.
interesting

The females in this thread have no issue.

Maybe cause that isn't the definition of Douche.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com

I think that it's pretty random and just proof that if the airport gorillas are destined to shred your luggage not much is going to stop them.

Over the journey we've sold hundreds of Douchebags and the majority of them manage to avoid overly rough treatment but we also assist a few customers with proof of purchase to pursue the airline for damage reasons. We seem to do this less with Dakine.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
My wife had a pretty visceral reaction when she saw the name.
My first thought to mind was dickhead males! never thought of 'vag cleaner'

as i said its not the oxford definition of the word, so the slang for stupid male was front of mind more for me!

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
I think that it's pretty random and just proof that if the airport gorillas are destined to shred your luggage not much is going to stop them.

Over the journey we've sold hundreds of Douchebags and the majority of them manage to avoid overly rough treatment but we also assist a few customers with proof of purchase to pursue the airline for damage reasons. We seem to do this less with Dakine.
My douchebag was a catastrophic failure of the seam along the zip as I closed it on my dining room floor and is irreparable. I can't put that down to baggage handlers more a lack of seam allowance in the manufacture. Anyway once bitten etc. I am just happy it occurred at home not halfway around the world.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
My douchebag was a catastrophic failure of the seam along the zip as I closed it on my dining room floor and is irreparable. I can't put that down to baggage handlers more a lack of seam allowance in the manufacture. Anyway once bitten etc. I am just happy it occurred at home not halfway around the world.
They will replace that on warranty for sure.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
My first thought to mind was ******** males! never thought of 'vag cleaner'

as i said its not the oxford definition of the word, so the slang for stupid male was front of mind more for me!

It is, quite literally, the dicitionary definition of the word:
db def.PNG

In either case, I wouldn't walk around with a bag with "arsehole" written on the side either.

Reactions: climberman

southpaw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2018
Canberra
db def.PNG

In either case, I wouldn't walk around with a bag with "arsehole" written on the side either.
Scandinavian sense of humour on display. I can see the marketing department sitting around in their cool looking black skivvys brainstorming names for the bag and Sven comes up with “douchebag” and says it’s ironic yeah? And the others let out a chuckle and say yeah, sure, ok, let’s do this, skiers will love it because it’s rude.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
My original DB went to Japan a few times, the US, Europe and Argentina. It progressively collected more holes until a couple of the batons broke. The replacement seems a lot more burley.

I am almost always mixing work with pleasure when I travel and need two of everything. I reckon a DB saved me money on baggage excess.

BoofHead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 8, 2007
Brisbane
I’m currently using a first gen douchebag. Didn’t need a new bag but unused for $80 on gumtree I couldn’t resist.
I like it because I can roll it up and stow it more easily; either in room or vehicle. After 3-4 OS trips I am noticing that it gets knocked around more ie bottom dragging and scuffed when I have my skis in it (190+). When MrsBoof uses it for her snowboard and a I’m lugging it, much less bottom dragging because it is so much shorter.
Some contact adhesive and a vinyl patch should fix this.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
db def.PNG

Ah - i only looked up Douche.

Which is a water wash.

I had never heard of a 'douchebag' except for the one in this thread.

Reactions: nezumi

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth
I purchased a Bakoda wheeled snowboard bag in Vancouver in December 2007 and it's only just starting to really fall to bits. The plastic base above the wheels is really starting to come apart from the fabric, and I don't think gaffer tape is going to do the trick. The wheels have completely lost their outer tread too. 2 Canada trips, 2 years of road trips in Canada, 6 Japan trips, 5 NSW Splitfests (from Perth). I've certainly got my moneys worth. The Dakine low roller looks like a likely replacement.

I should also get a 40-50L wheeled bag or duffle at some stage, checking in a 52L Osprey pack for Japan trips is a bit ridiculous, and it can't be doing any favours for the longevity of the pack. Has anyone got any suggestions in that space, Light and strong would obviously be great, I think wheeled would probably be the way to go. Typically it only needs to carry 7-8kg of stuff, and have some space for boxed Sake bottles on the way home. So I guess something which offers a bit of protection is the way to go.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I should also get a 40-50L wheeled bag or duffle at some stage, checking in a 52L Osprey pack for Japan trips is a bit ridiculous, and it can't be doing any favours for the longevity of the pack. Has anyone got any suggestions in that space, Light and strong would obviously be great, I think wheeled would probably be the way to go. Typically it only needs to carry 7-8kg of stuff, and have some space for boxed Sake bottles on the way home. So I guess something which offers a bit of protection is the way to go.
https://www.osprey.com/au/en/product/transporter-wheeled-duffel-40-ROLLTRN40.html

We sell the 90 and 120, they look great, I just busted out a 120 for myself so I'll tell you in 72 hours how it goes.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
My first thought to mind was ******** males! never thought of 'vag cleaner'

Really?
Maybe it's an age thing (me being old).

It's certainly the use for the word I grew up knowing. More recently, besides being a personality descriptor, it's become more synonomous with an enema.

If you google image it, it won't be a whole lot of pics of Tony Abbot, and if you google shop it with a clear chache, it won't be a whole lot of pics of ski bags, that's for sure.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass