1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Best ski for 10/11 year old boy

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Peanut, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

I was having a conversation with my hubby a little while back about whether we will need to get a longer set of skis for Mstr 10 by next season. He is currently about 140cm tall, weighs about 37kg and is at a point where he is attempting to ski parallel across the slope (under duress), but still uses a snowplough to turn. He is currently skiing on 129cm long K2 Juvis, and he likes having twin tips. I think he would eventually like to get into doing park-type skiing, but the focus at the moment is to get him to ski runs competently.

My questions are:
    1. Do you think we can get another season on Mstr 10’s current skis?
    2. If no, do you have any recommendations for skis?
    3. Should we see if we can source something second-hand or buy new?

Mstr 10’s current skis were bought second-hand, but hubby thinks we should start looking at buying new skis. He feels it would be better to consider tech specs to better match skis to Mstr 10 to help him progress faster. Mstr 10 has no interest in any form of competitive skiing, he just really enjoys recreational skiing.

Discuss.

2. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

We have 3 kids aged 10,13 and 15 and rent every time...they grow so fast

3. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Ps my 15 yo is the most beautiful skiier but if we made it any more than recreational he would walk away too

Peanut likes this.
  4. teleroo

teleroo One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

My kids, 10 and 12, like Armada skis. ARV84 in 156cm for 12 yo, Bantam 135cm for 10 yo. Both twin tips. Get from Rhythm.

Peanut likes this.
  5. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

No ski is going to make a 10 yr old progress any faster .
    Get him more skiing time .

DPS Driver, skifree and Chaeron like this.
  6. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Familiarity with an existing set builds confidence and enables improved focus on technique but a longer ski gives more control. My sons liked having the same ski for successive years even as they grew.

He could conceivably ski exceptionally well and happily with the same set next year, but it depends on how much he grows in the meantime.

Wait and see - a rental early in the season will let HIM determine whether he’d prefer to upgrade to a longer ski or keep on the same set.

It’s more fun time on the slopes plus enjoyable lessons that will have the biggest impact on a young person’s improvement, rather than gear - as with all of us.

Peanut likes this.
  7. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

My 9 year old daughter wanted twin tips this season and had definitely outgrown the skis she had for the last 2 seasons so I got her kids Defiance Pros from Level9. The full set was under $200 but they were a bit of a jump up in length - she’s 133cm and I got her skis that are 125cms. I was worried at first as she took some getting used to them but after the first day she was fine and her skiing improved dramatically during the week.

Peanut likes this.
  8. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I started buying used skis for my daughter around age 7. Had rented or done a season lease before that. By then she was a solid intermediate skiing parallel all the time, including on blue groomers at Alta during her first spring break trip. Would get skis at her forehead, which lasted two seasons. Only the first hour or so was an adjustment. I always had her do at least one ski school day at our tiny home mountain during the first ski trip.

I spent more money on boots bought new. "New old stock" from a local boot fitter, bought during early season sales. He was experienced enough to put her in boots that would last a couple seasons even as her feet were growing. He would take used boots back for store credit.

#8 MarzNC, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Peanut and Chaeron like this.
  9. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Unless you're a ski rep,;) keep renting or look for second hand.

Kids grow so fast they grow out of a ski just as quick as they do their pants. So generally there are plenty of skis around for younguns in good condition because they've not been used much.

skifree likes this.
  10. ThisAlpineLife

ThisAlpineLife Hard Yards

Hi,
    1) Yes, I do think you can get 1 more season on those 129cm skis!

The this is based on out own experience. Our girl who is a confident skiier, has had the same twin tip 119cm skis for the last 2 seasons at age 9 & 10. She was about 138cm high and 35kg at 10 year old, but she still managed to get lift in powder. She preferred the "shorter" 119 cm skis for the park tricks rather than an upgrade to longer skis.
    Short skis give more control, longer skis are only needed at speed.