Best spectator event of the 2019 Freestyle World Champs

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Kappy, Feb 11, 2019 at 12:06 PM.

1. Kappy

Kappy One of Us

Not sure if anyone watched any of the events from 2019 freestyle world champs but the dual moguls event yesterday from Deer Valley was fantastic. Such a great spectator sport. Cant believe the olympics have eliminated this event from Beijing. Love the singles moguls but the dual is incredible viewing. Much more exciting. Wondering who I need to email to have it reinstated. Check out Daichi Hara from japan coming in a bit hot to the 2nd jump.

Lifted from FB

Zeroz and nfip like this.
  2. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass: Gold

Ow! Hope he’s ok.

3. Kappy

Kappy One of Us

Got to his feet and waited at bottom for the scores for an eternity. He did look dazed and was bleeding from a gash on his chin. But then he had to go straight back up and race for the small final, which he won!

Zeroz likes this.
  4. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty

I did happen to catch just that bit on ORF1 while waiting for the downhill in the Alpine World Championships in Sweden. Was ok. Is it still judged the same way ie. time combined with style points on turns and jumps? Do the same judges judge both simultaneously?

I saw the run above and both appeared to be barely in control most of the way, looking to go for pure speed. Japanese guy was in front speed wise but then went for double spin jump. But was not in full control before the jump, so result wasn't that surprising. Do they need to call that out beforehand?

The run before that did look somewhat cleaner.

Still a bit wary of judged events, so still always prefer the traditional alpine events purely based on time.

5. Kappy

Kappy One of Us

Re Judged events, Fair enough. I have appreciation for most winter sports.
    I prefer the dual compared with single as it adds an element of urgency when you have someone next to you to raz you on.
    He didnt actually intend to do a double, as you said, he was coming in too fast and realised that if he didnt pull in and get the second he would have landed over the finish line.

6. Seth

Seth Pool Room

Back in the day when I worked at DV, this event was always great viewing. Although it could get pretty fresh in the finish area.

CarveMan likes this.
  7. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room

I remember stopping by the locker room on the way up and grabbing everything I had. Was still cold.

Seth likes this.
  8. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable

Crazy man, he tried to scrub the energy on the last jump take off but ....

I doubt that second flip was part of the plan

An amazing exhibition of reflexes and desperate save acrobatics

#8 dawooduck, Feb 11, 2019 at 12:58 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 3:17 PM
    Zeroz, nfip and Telemark Phat like this.
  9. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter

Good thing there isn't gate judges or equipment scrutineers in Alpine Racing.

10. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty

Ha. But there aren't style points for how you round a gate or how you land your jumps. You either pass through legally or not.

11. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture

I can watch moguls for a while, but the best thing at freestyle worlds for my money is skier cross. Real racing, minimal judging (officials watching for shenanigans in the turns is all). Despite being part of the freestyle family in the eyes of FIS, several countries run their ski cross program through their alpine NSO rather than freestyle.

Snowboard cross is ok too, provided they have their own course. Boarders don't fare well on the modern ski cross tracks, rhythm sections don't suit them and the jumps have to be downsized or most heats have a Bradbury finish.

nezumi likes this.