Best time to book flights?

Discussion in 'Flights' started by Sbooker, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Sbooker

Sbooker Active Member

My family will be heading to Europe very late December 2018 or very early January 2019. Likely flying into Milan. When would be the best (cheapest) time to book flights? As soon as they're released in presumably January 2018? Or wait until the first available sale? Is there a general rule of thumb?
    If it makes any difference we would prefer to fly out of Venice.
    Would prefer to fly Qantas or Emirates I guess.
    Also would be looking at an internal flight from Milan to Munich - any best time to book that?
    Thanks in advance.

2. silva

silva Active Member

If you are after particular dates and airlines book as soon as the flights become available. Late Dec/Early Jan you are very unlikely to get any sale prices so best to jump in and get the lowest initial ticket price IMHO.

3. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

I would be setting up skyscanner alerts now. Be aware that prices can and will fluctuate wildly.

Apresski likes this.
  4. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Another similar app is Hopper.

5. The Bluff

The Bluff Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

I'm in early planing for a Europe trip around this time as well.
    Very little experience with flight bookings/prices.
    I presume diferrent enter and exit destinations are more expense then in /out of same city?

6. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Not necessarily. That used to be the case with limited Euro options for carriers from Australia where you needed an additional Euro flight, but is no longer an issue with the Gulf based carriers with numerous direct Euro destinations.
    For example with Emirates you can fly direct from Dubai to Vienna, Munich, Milan, Lyon, Geneve, Zürich etc and I doubt there would be too much difference in cost.
    https://www.emirates.com/english/destinations/

The Bluff and skifree like this.
  7. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Flights to Edmonton have fluctuated from $974 to $1854 over the past two weeks.

It's a lottery without rhyme or reason.

Paid $1290

8. Beerman

Beerman Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

HI Duck, what are your travel dates approx, and who did you book through and airline?? I am looking at similar for next year, 18/19

9. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Just get Skyscanner, or it's equivalent, alerts. If you google the question, the answer is around 7minths prior to travel. However there are so many online ticket sellers, the competition is considerable and sometimes you can get amazing deals even closer to departure.
    If you want to fly in and out of different airports, when using Skyscanner just tick the multi city option. I flew into Venice last year and out if Milan, I recall the difference was around $100. I flew on a code share Emirates/Qantas.

The Bluff likes this.
  10. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 Well-Known Member

I have obtained some very low cost flights at the last minute, though I traditionally travel in early March which appears to be quieter. Thai airways also have some very good deals (including free stopovers in Bangkok sometimes). They fly direct to Munich. Their fleet were getting very tired but have improved in recent times. When travelling from Venice to Munich, do consider train travel as it is a beautiful part of the world to travel through. Try Rome2io (train $55-$150, Fly $78-$383) which is my Go-To website when moving around Europe. It is incredibly accurate and helpful.

11. Beerman

Beerman Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Just had a look at some Skyscanner results. Its interesting to see that their "best flight" for a given flight and date is $700 more than their cheapest, with both flights being direct and no stop overs, on what would both be considered full service carriers.

12. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

@Beerman

I am going on Sat 14th October (next Sat) for 10 days. It is not a ski trip. My advice for this time is to set up alerts a few months out and be patient. The price fluctuates by $800 with a mid point around $1300 with AC. I bought the ticket 10 days ago and two days after I bought it I received an alert for the same seat $300 cheaper. Its a shit seat arrangement on AC but the quickest route to Edmonton by a mile. Prices appear to start to ramp up again mod November.

Good luck

13. The Bluff

The Bluff Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

great site thanks!

14. Beerman

Beerman Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Thanks @dawooduck , we aren't going until Dec next year, so i have plenty of time to scan and plan, but as you've said, from mid Nov prices go go north.
    P.s. In my experience cookies from web sites cost money, ours.

15. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

No not at all.

we flew into Zurich and out of London. so classic 'open-jaw' ticket.

It was cheaper than SYD/:HR/SYD and cheaper than SYD/ZUR/SYD

I played with every possible combination.

i didn't care about entry and exit airport and woudl have planned my trip accordingly around the cheapest one (and did)

The Bluff likes this.
  16. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason with fares and the weird cases are where it is more expensive to go to a stopover than via the stopover to a final destination. In August last year I looked for fares to Vancouver for the mid September a few weeks later and as an option also looked at Seattle. The latter would have been about $1300 return economy via Vancouver (on Air Canada into YVR and onto SEA) whereas to Vancouver return was about $2000 (on Air Canada).

dawooduck likes this.