Question Best way to get to Asahikawa from Australia

Grimsey

Hard Yards
May 31, 2013
So I'm trying to figure out my options for getting to Asahikawa from Australia (Brisbane / Gold Coast). There definitely aren't any direct flights, and it looks like I absolutely will need to overnight somewhere between flights...there are no late connections from Tokyo - Asahikawa apparently.
Has anyone else done this trip? What's the best way to get there?

Would you...

1. Fly Jetstar departing Gold Coast 10.50am arrive Tokyo Narita 6.55pm.
Overnight in Tokyo (perhaps near Haneda?).
Travel to Haneda airport (there are no flights from Narita) and catch morning flight with Airdo or other.

2. Fly Jetstar departing Gold Coast 10.50am arrive Tokyo Narita 6.55pm as above.
Overnight at cheap hotel near Narita and catch morning flight from Narita to Sapporo, then catch train or bus to Asahikawa

3. Any other / better options??

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
Fly direct to Asahikawa from Tokyo.
I would O/N in Tokyo and fly the following morning.
When I went, the flights were out of Haneda.
I took JAL, but I would say there are other carriers as well.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Have a look at the Japan flights thread. I did KL - Narita, then Narita - Asahikawa with Skymark this year, however they seem to be in some trouble and no longer fly that route. Someone did reply with another cheap airline that does - you just have to wait until closer to the date to book the domestic leg. But it is worthwhile - much cheaper than with major airlines.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Arriving Narita late in the day though does pretty much limit you to the 2 options you have listed. Not likely to get any evening domestic flights out of Narita. Just depends on what time you can get flights. Narita more convenient, but flights out of Haneda more frequent. Train from Chitose via Sapporo to Asahikawa though is easy. Try and get one where you don't have to change in Sapporo.

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
So I'm trying to figure out my options for getting to Asahikawa from Australia (Brisbane / Gold Coast). There definitely aren't any direct flights, and it looks like I absolutely will need to overnight somewhere between flights...there are no late connections from Tokyo - Asahikawa apparently.
Has anyone else done this trip? What's the best way to get there?

Would you...

1. Fly Jetstar departing Gold Coast 10.50am arrive Tokyo Narita 6.55pm.
Overnight in Tokyo (perhaps near Haneda?).
Travel to Haneda airport (there are no flights from Narita) and catch morning flight with Airdo or other.

2. Fly Jetstar departing Gold Coast 10.50am arrive Tokyo Narita 6.55pm as above.
Overnight at cheap hotel near Narita and catch morning flight from Narita to Sapporo, then catch train or bus to Asahikawa

3. Any other / better options??

From Brisbane, definitely try EVA Airlines.

Either:
Brisbane - Taipei - Sapporo (Chitose), then train from Chitose to Asahikawa (~2hrs)

Or:
Brisbane - Taipei - Tokyo (Haneda), then local Japanese airline carrier direct to Asahikawa.

Basically the flight out of BNE departs at like 11pm then arrives in Taipei around 6am the next morning. Then the connecting flight into Japan (depending on final location) is generally around 8-10am and you'll arrive approx 12-2pm.

azzski

Should know better
Ski Pass
Aug 6, 1999
St Kilda, Australia
Arriving Narita late in the day though does pretty much limit you to the 2 options you have listed. Not likely to get any evening domestic flights out of Narita. Just depends on what time you can get flights. Narita more convenient, but flights out of Haneda more frequent. Train from Chitose via Sapporo to Asahikawa though is easy. Try and get one where you don't have to change in Sapporo.
Agreed. SYD-NRT (J*) then NRT-Chitose (Skymark) last year, and found that flights to Chitose were cheaper from Narita than from Haneda - so we stayed close to the airport as a late connecting flight to Chitose (there were some from Narita) would have just left us trying to find overnight accomodation at that end - which again was cheaper at Narita than Chitose.

Grimsey

Hard Yards
May 31, 2013
Appreciate the further suggestions, thanks.

If I were to take the option of flying Jetstar to Narita, overnighting in Tokyo, and flying out of Haneda the following morning to Asahikawa, can anyone suggest a hotel or hostel conveniently located for this? Will it be easiest if I select a hotel near Narita? Haneda? Or somewhere in the middle (e.g. near a train station which I will have to travel through)?

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
When I flew out of Haneda, I stayed at Shinigawa.
It was convenient because the Haneda train passed through Shinigawa station.

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
I have stayed in a couple of places there... the prince and another which is near the american cafe

azzski

Should know better
Ski Pass
Aug 6, 1999
St Kilda, Australia
Picked up an overnight at the Radisson on lastminute for about AUD60 for the night near Narita - can't speak for elsewhere but that was perfectly fine.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

azzski

Should know better
Ski Pass
Aug 6, 1999
St Kilda, Australia
I have stayed in a couple of places there... the prince and another which is near the american cafe
Haha I stayed at the "Prince" in Shinagawa a couple of years go. Turns out there's about 4 separate hotels called the "Prince". We visited them all when we were trying to check in :D

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Appreciate the further suggestions, thanks.

If I were to take the option of flying Jetstar to Narita, overnighting in Tokyo, and flying out of Haneda the following morning to Asahikawa, can anyone suggest a hotel or hostel conveniently located for this? Will it be easiest if I select a hotel near Narita? Haneda? Or somewhere in the middle (e.g. near a train station which I will have to travel through)?

Several possibilities off the top of my head, depending on timing of flights, how much gear you have, costs.

1. Stay near Narita, use free hotel shuttle bus from airport and back in the morning, bus to Haneda.
This is probably the easiest if you have a bit of luggage. Also need to allow time in the morning, flight from Haneda should be no earlier than 10am.

2. Get limousine bus to Haneda and find hotel near there, though I don't recall many (non expensive) hotels in that vicinity.

3. Bus / train to Shinagawa, stay there, then bus or train/monorail in the morning. Be wary if you have a bit of luggage esp if y3u are catching a local train in the weeklday rush hour. Otherwise use a hotel near the limousine bus route.

4. Keisei train to Ueno, lots of cheapish hotels there, then train & monorail in the morning. same proviso as for option 3.

Last edited:

Jamesc

Addicted
Oct 12, 2011
Sydney
Is your final destination asahikawa or elsewhere,
we goto furano each year and used to do syd - tokyo (narita) - asahikawa.
But as skymark isn't flying that route anymore so its cheaper to fly to sapporo and get the resort liner to furano.
You can also get the train from chitose to asahikawa

Reactions: freddy

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
4. Keisei train to Ueno, lots of cheapish hotels there, then train & monorail in the morning. same proviso as for option 3.

This one. We did it in reverse. Flew into Haneda and had to fly out of Narita with Skymark. We stayed at the Marutani near Ueno. Easy walk to Keisei Ueno and easy access from Haneda.

Pity about Skymark. Enjoyed my flights with them.

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
From Brisbane, definitely try EVA Airlines.

Either:
Brisbane - Taipei - Sapporo (Chitose), then train from Chitose to Asahikawa (~2hrs)

Or:
Brisbane - Taipei - Tokyo (Haneda), then local Japanese airline carrier direct to Asahikawa.

Basically the flight out of BNE departs at like 11pm then arrives in Taipei around 6am the next morning. Then the connecting flight into Japan (depending on final location) is generally around 8-10am and you'll arrive approx 12-2pm.

Personally I would be trying to find something like this to avoid the loss of time of an intermediary overnight, I like to get straight through to my destination if possible. They are a great airline and their flight times are great.

When are you planning to go? Brisbane has pretty much some of the best and fastest options/connections to Sapporo from any place in Australia such as the following which all avoid the need to spend on some overnight accom.

CX: BNE-HKG-CTS - 00:50-14:50 (fastest flight times and arrive in Asahikawa that night)
TG: BNE-BKK-CTS - 13:35-08:00+1 (allows plenty of time for your train/drive to Asahikawa could ski in the afternoon)
KE: BNE-ICN-CTS - 08:20-21:25 (hiring a car is probably the only way to get to Asahikawa that night)
CI: BNE-TPE-CTS - 23:15-13:15+1
BR: BNE-TPE-CTS - 22:45-14:05+1

Reactions: Crispy013

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
Or fastest way on JQ: OOL-CNS-KIX-CTS - 06:50-20:55 (again hiring car probably only way to get there at that time of night.

hotsaki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2010
Darwin Australia
I need to book flights Haneda to Asahikawa.Somebody posted a website(I think)that was good to book flights on.Not Skyscanner.But I cant find it.Anyone know this?

JA2340

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2004
Tasmania
Be aware that the "express" bus transfers between Narita and Haneda are in the order of 1 hour, and traffic dependent, so need to factor that into the schedule.

D

d15812

Be aware that the "express" bus transfers between Narita and Haneda are in the order of 1 hour, and traffic dependent, so need to factor that into the schedule.
I was on the Airport Limousine last week and it took 2 hours - traffic was terrible.
The old Skymark flights NRT->AKJ were the best, I used to be able to land at 06:05 on QF21 and get the 08:00am flight to Asahikawa. That transfer from NRT to HND is a pain.

hotsaki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2010
Darwin Australia
Thankfully we fly into Haneda from Singapore.I expect (hope) customs clearance shouldnt take too long there.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass