1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report BHP from Trapyard Gap 13/8 - 17/8

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by Dr_Phil, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Dr_Phil

Dr_Phil Hard Yards

First time we've tried BHP from Trapyard Gap carpark (at the closed gate on Bogong High Plains Road). Drove in on Monday morning with snow on the road up, and plenty in the carpark. We were the only car there.

Good fresh cover on the road (except for a 80m stretch running North South we had to walk) but some other ski tracks made the going easier. Lunch time on the side of the road.

Bumped into a school camp group at the start of Buckety Plains who had skiied in on Sunday (making the tracks). Skiied on to Raspberry Hill campground through untracked snow - much harder work. Great cover tho :) That's the top of the road marking pole in the foreground.

Pretty windy in the campground so we set the tent up on the other side of the road.

Tuesday even more snow on the road going up from Langford West

Wind was blowing a gale at Cope Hut, the forecast for Wed was horrible, so we decided to head for Wallace's Hut (as did another school group).
    Snow arrived Wednesday morning, wind was horrible, we spent the day in the tent (the school group did the same).

Thurs arrived a beautiful day.

But still windy up top and looking like more weather was on the way

We skiied back to Buckety Plains campground which has a reasonable cover of snow.

Got another dusting overnight

Friday skiied back to the car. Overall, the cover was still great, but despite the snow during the week, we had to walk more of the North-South stretch, and snow at the carpark looked a bit less.

We think we got pretty lucky on the year we decided to try Trapyard Gap :)

2. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

You certainly nailed the time. Another month and you would be walking a lot more. By October we ride the mountain bike through before the road opens. That north/south section is always the first to melt. Fortunately it is not very far. The snow was good to drive on last week up there as well. Mittagundi would have been the first school group to cut the tracks for you. Word from them was the snow was fantastic as well. I need this road open for the second weekend in November but not as hopeful now.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed Ski Pass: Gold

Good effort.

4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I was planning to do a Trap yard Gap/BHP trip this season but time has raced away from me and it is now in the in tray of trips to do ,for the 2019 XC ski season.Thanks for your report.

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I enjoyed looking at your photos. I think towing a sled out there with skins on my skis or with snow shoes on would be the way I might try it. I can't ski with much weight on my back.

skifree and Chaeron like this.
  6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

One would have thought that in poor weather in August repairing to Faithful's hut rather than hiding in the tent would have been a better option. It is roomy and sits in a sheltered area below the Buckety plain camping area.

#6 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Dec 25, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    Bogong likes this.
  7. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Both McNamaras and Faithfuls are well protected ......Weather can get pretty full on around Cope Hut .......sometimes is better to push through around Mt Cope to Pole Line and then via Cope Saddle Hut to Ryder’s Huts as it has better protection than Cope Hut.
    Alternatively pick way east of Mt Cope over the ridgeline and then on to Aquaduct that leads to Cope Saddle.That is ...go around sthn aspect of Mt.Cope.

However with a sled to tow.....probably better to just push through crap weather till Cope Saddle is reached

8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Also near Wallace's hut is the Aquaduct which is a little more sheltered. The emergency public shelter at the Rover lodge has enough room for two cold and wind blown ski tourers. Cope hut itself is quite cozy and has room for many people to escape bad weather but it is situated right in a spot where the wind just rips through.