1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question BHP road from Shannonvale to Trapyard gap:snow ploughed?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Hi.
    My question for the panel is whether the BHP road coming up from the Shannon vale side is cleared of snow at all during white season up to the Trap yard gap gate.
    I would imagine a few trees would fall down over the road well before the gate.

I walked the terrain during summer out to Faithful's hut. It would only be about 5 kms from the Trap yard gate in snow shoes with skis strapped to the pack. From Faithful's hut one could day tour on skis sans heavy pack along the aqua duct and make a loop of it via Cope Hut and be back at Faithful 's hut for a hot meal and a log fire etc. quite easily.
    :)

2. CaptainC

CaptainC Hard Yards

It must be 5 - 10 years since I did it in winter, but it was never cleared in those days. You had to be careful because the road is fairly undulating for quite a way before the road closure, so if you got a low dump it would be difficult to get out.

I can't see why they would clear it. It was cost a lot and there would be no economic return.

3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Don't the kids from the Mittagundi Outdoor Education centre near Shannonvale go up to XC ski and hang out at McNamara's hut near Buckety Plain?. How do they get up there? Do they walk up ?As you can deduce, my brain ticks over with ways to get some BC snow action without paying or having to walk in from TOO Far.

pegasusSki likes this.
  4. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

If the road needs clearing of trees then Mittagundi will do that on their way up to Trapyard but there will often be trees down. No snow is cleared on BHP road and if they can't get to the gate then the kids have further to ski. Last year we made it to the gate without chains but put them on for the way down and that was after a low dump but not recommended in a RAV4. Your front grill would have been under. Mittagundi were at the gate also but used chains up. Some years you would be walking on tar for quite a way but usually there is some snow about before and after the gate mid winter. The road after the gate is protected for a way due to the southerly aspect. If you intend doing this then ditch the snowshoes and just ski or vice versa. No point carrying both. The kids will be first time on skis and are carrying a pack. The downhill slopes are not severe. There is also a nice way across to Faithfuls hut that avoids the road but I have only ridden it in summer. Not sure if it is a good ski.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It might be best to walk the Kelly's hut track/ Lanes track next green season from Shannonvale . I can get myself in and out of most situations on foot. Then again if one leaves the car lower down before the Trap Yard gap gate by the side of the road then it would turn a 5 km journey on foot into a 10 kms journey on foot/ skis or snow shoes. I shall leave it for next white season and stick with the JB Hut plan driving in from Omeo.

6. Xplora

This is true and it is the chance you take. It may be OK but as not many drive up there you will not know unless you do. Still will have a longer harder walk in up the Lanes than BHP road even if you have to park well before the gate.

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

What about in the first week of September? Would the BHP access to Trapyard gap gate in a RAV 4 with All terrain tyres, chains and a chain saw be a better bet then?
    T.

8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am tempted to try this later this season. I will contact the people at the Outdoor ed. centre and see when they are using McNamara's hut on Buckety Plain. Who dares wins !

9. Xplora

I'll check the weather report for September and get back to you. Mittagundi have a program finishing the last day August so first week of September you should have the hut.

10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

If the Outdoor ed. people are accessing the area at the end of August then the road should be relatively clear. Of course , one should have wheel chains, a chain saw and snow shovel handy. My RAV 4 with All terrain tyres and AWD should be suitable. Last year on the first weekend in September there was a lot of snow on the BHP and it was well worth the trip out there.

11. legend

legend One of Us

We used to regularly ski from Trapyard Gap onto the BHP. Subarus were always used, only had one year that we had to stop about 3Km from the gate. The eastern side of the BHP tend to be in a snow shadow and gets much less snow than the western side.

12. CaptainC

CaptainC Hard Yards

I walked down the Lanes track last year. It was in good condition but had a locked gate fairly low down. I'm not sure when the gate would be closed.

13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am going to scout that out next Green season. I prefer not to have to pay $$ to visit the BHP in ski season.

14. Xplora

Permanently. It is now a MVO track as per the Greater Alpine National Park Management Plan.

Chaeron likes this.
  15. Xplora

There would have been a least 3 times last year when you would not reached the gate in a Subaru or RAV4 and 2 this year but that may only be for a few days and then it melts. It is really about timing and keeping an eye on weather systems. No idea what the first week in September will bring. It is most likely the road will be clear of trees but sometimes Mittagundi will use Fitzgeralds hut, although not as often if there is good snow from Trapyard Gap.

16. CaptainC

CaptainC Hard Yards

Yes, I'd avoid Trapyard Gap if low snow is forecast. If you're going for several days the the forecast becomes less reliable to the end. But for 2 or 3 days when no low snow is forecast, then it's a fairly easy way to get to the BHP without paying fees.

17. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

The road goes gently down into Trapyard Barrier......leaving the vehicle at the top of hill before this half km decent may be a good idea....pushing vehicle Uphill into snow so much harder than flat terrain.If you have any doubts ...then I would err on the side of caution....the heaviest snow will lie in that depression....so maybe Park just off side of roadway where you start your journey on a flat road surface..the black bitumen also helps to melt the snow...I am not aware of anybody getting snow bound up there when they have 4x4,chains ....the fallen trees are the problem....but many have been culled along there in previous years....so those big monsters are less of a threat...but "who dares wins" is the most relevant bit of the posts .....if you have a chainsaw with you....then I am sure you are fine on this approach.Again I would talk to Tony Fitzgerald in Shannonvale cos he can be most useful should u have any trouble...

18. Xplora

Let me know how you go with that. You have experience with needing help from Tony? I would be interested to hear about it. His Dad (Brenny) was very helpful and would take the Rover scouts up to the lodge on horses with pack horses for supplies. He died in 1984. I know of people who have asked Tony for help. Better being properly equipped and not to bother the man.
    Last year the problem would have been clearance and the RAV or Subaru would be catching snow on the grill and would not be able to push through but as you say it usually goes in a couple of days so getting stuck is a matter of sitting it out or parking further back if you can find a spot that will allow other cars, which are more capable, of getting past.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  19. Ubiquitous Steve

Fitzgerald property backs on to the roadway as far as I know.
    So I would be talking to Tony if possible ....and saying hello for a start.

Tony might like Mr T to play a few songs on his guitar?Anything is possible if one is polite and courteous to local land holders.;)

20. Xplora

Good luck with that. You obviously do not know the man very well. There is also no road access from his property onto the BHP road. Not sure how you would contact him anyway apart from go to his house. Just tell me when you intend to do it so I can stand back and watch. Leave the man alone. He has mellowed over the years but it will take more than a courteous hello and a melody on the guitar to cut the ice.

Not worth going this way at the moment anyway unless you want to walk. The base is only 100mm and less in some parts (bare bitumen for the more exposed areas) which get sun. There were some icy patches on the way up to the gate in the areas that don't get sun but OK for any AWD vehicle. The indications are thought that the snow came down low last dump so it would have caused some problems on that day and a couple of days after.

21. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am not planning on driving up there until the end of August /First weekend of September. Of course the weather window needs to be favourable and some decent snow needs to be at Buckety Plain,Cope Hut and the Aquaduct pole lines for XC skiing.

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

It's a winter closure.

Did you check if the chain was padlocked?

Edited

23. Xplora

No it isn't. It is closed permanently and is listed as an MVO. There is a sign at the start of the track indicating no vehicles.
    Regularly.
    For verification call PV Mt. Beauty.

Poppies likes this.
  24. sidetrack

sidetrack One of Us

Some of the most fun trips I had were helping out on the ski trips with Mittagundi kids. One trip they had to walk the whole way up to Langford’s before we found snow and they still had a ball. Then two days later they walked to Fitzgerald’s from the gate. It was just great to see them stoked to be there.

#24 sidetrack, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Ziggy likes this.
  25. Xplora

Back in those days the bottom gate would likely have been unlocked so the walk in from the top gate is not as demanding. They still walk up in summer with one horse and camp at Fitz's a night before meeting the kids at Watchbed creek. Mittagundi have not used Fitz's hut for a number of years now in winter but will when conditions are like you found at Trapyard. Bitumen for a long way. I came across some pretty grumpy kids a while back on a Mittagundi trip. We were on our way out and them on the way in. It was in the afternoon and they were standing in line just before the first big left hand bend (the one that always melts first) while some leaders where chatting. One kid asked me if it was much further and I told him no but asked if he was not having fun. He responded quickly. 'No, I just want to get there before dark'. Apparently they had been standing in the cold getting a briefing at the gate for 2 hours before getting started. Hope their trip improved. One girl was laughing. She was kept at the back because she was always falling over. She was taking it in her stride.

You obviously know Tony as well.

26. Ubiquitous Steve

The intent was not to ask Tony for help but to say hello to him......but Xplora seems to have gone off tangent here again!
    I would not be ignoring the most important family in Shannonvale ..........

27. Ubiquitous Steve

Why did Parks put a management gate at the bottom of the track anyway?

28. Xplora

So you are suggesting the only reason to buddy up with the man is just in case you need to use him later. Not off tangent at all. Have you buddied up to Tony? Dropping names but with no idea. Completely rude to even mention Tony in this manner on a forum without asking his view first. He has no way of helping you out anyway. If you can't get out then how to you expect him to get to you? And you would not be able to call him anyway so then what?
    If you in fact knew Tony you would know that he is just fine with being ignored by skiers and bushwalkers. He is not real fond of fishermen either. Tony likes to be left alone and it takes years for him to warm to anyone. He is not a nasty person, just very private. Stop trying to get some mileage out this and stop encouraging people to annoy Tony. Perhaps it is just another one of your less than funny jokes.
    A number of reasons. Ring them up and ask. You have the number of PV Mt. Beauty.

29. Ubiquitous Steve

That’s the kind of response familar to the forum now.....we are getting used to this over the top stuff comming from you Xplora!

I don’t need to amplify any thing said before.It was intended in a thoughtful way to folk using the area.
    Team Bears were also paying the Fitzgeralds a compliment too.

Cheers Xplora....perhaps we just need to put you in the egocentric box.....I won’t respond to gross insults....Team Bears just feel that you are a sad sad case!

30. Xplora

I think most people see it for what it is and not what you want to make of it. You always avoid answering questions because you do not have the answers or the answer would not fit. So Tony is a good friend of yours? That is a question. From your lack of response to my previous questions it would be safe to say you do not have any experience with him but you compliment the man you do not even know because he bears a name. There are other Fitzgerald's who also share a boundary with BHP road. Perhaps you should drop their names as well.

31. Ubiquitous Steve

Perhaps Xplora you can tell the forum of the state of the Rd into the Barrier ....because that’s the relevant question....and having a deep understanding of all things in Shannonvale we are certain that you can help us all with something so simple!

Well there are many Fitzgerald’s but only one Xplora of the Ski Forum!
    The guys in Mitta Mitta have even heard of you ....!:thumbs:

Yes I think the whole forum is across this concept now!

Cheers Team Bears......:whistle:

32. Ubiquitous Steve

Oh Team Bears would never poke fun of the Fitzgeralds....

But we certainly will take the piss out of any character that is a smart asse?

33. sidetrack

sidetrack One of Us

Jeez, I think I’ll disappear for another 6 morning months.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  34. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Relax. I am not going to try to talk to somebody I don't know with the view to possibly trying to subsequently seek assistance from such a person if and when I become stuck on the Eastern section of the BHP road .
    I have had some common sense and good luck to avoid being caught out in the Vic.Alps by difficult conditions. I was trapped in the flood at the Prom in March 2011. That was declared a natural disaster. It was scary and everyone had to be evacuated by helicopter.
    I merely asked about possible white season access to the Trap yard gap gate on the BHP road .

35. Xplora

This was post # 20.
    Hope that helps. And I am famous in Mitta Mitta. That is something to write home about.

Wally likes this.
  36. Ubiquitous Steve

Yes even :emoji_anguished:the kids of Mitta Mitta :emoji_face_palm:are scarred in case you chastise them for an hour should they unfortunately drop a lolley wrapper when you travel Nth .Yes you certainly have a reputation my man.:emoji_cop:

Let’s hope your snow reports and road access information are a bit better this year than last!:whistle:

Let us all hope you are more observant of your surroundings from now on!

Perhaps you meant “infamous” rather than famous....but you certainly are known to the locals of Mitta and their neighbours!

Perhaps it’s a wonder why “wanted dead or alive” posters have not been spotted in the watering holes of the Mitta Mitta ,Eskdale and Dartmouth ??

And Team Bears say that even those in Yack.. are familar with your adventures!

37. beefa skiing

beefa skiing Early Days

38. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am doing it this August 2019. I have hidden a supply drop near Faithful's hut and will base myself there. @pegasusSki wants to join me for some BC XC activities via this route. Do you want to come too? .It is a L O N G 7 hour drive from Melb. so I plan to drive up on a Friday via Bairnsdale and Omeo and camp at Angler's rest or thereabouts , drive up to Trap yard Gap on Sat., trek into Faithful's hut (7kms) and set up camp. Then Sun. and Monday will be all about the skiing and then I will break camp on Tuesday and start heading back to my car.

39. beefa skiing

beefa skiing Early Days