Big VM days at Thredbo

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Laska Goralska, Oct 24, 2018.

1. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass: Gold

I can see how people could get attracted to it, its like any competition. You get to compete with yourself first, and others second.

Im a joy seeker though, so its not for me. doesnt bother me if others do it, but I reckon some caution is in order.

2. sastrugi

sastrugi Part of the Furniture

:(:(

At least no one will ever get to see me in a g string in public ever again ;)

3. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty

4. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter

Thats cause helmets do nothing to prevent concussion.

5. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons A Local

...just watch out for the drones! :eek:

6. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Cheers - @Onlybackscratchers not quite up there with that Buller pic but not bad.....not bad at all.

In case anybody missed it (I think the story was referenced in the perisher thread) here was a couple of links to the story as per original comment above. Its an interesting read (one day I would love to do a season in Whistler - I wouldn't be setting any VM records LOL). As per your comment @telecrag a couple of quotes from the first story "It's unlikely there'll be another competition this year after complaints that the quest for vertical encouraged reckless behaviour." and "This season, WB Plus will be redeveloped to encourage "different behaviour."". Have a read - pretty cool (some people are just at another level):-

https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/desperately-seeking-vertbag/Content?oid=2856982

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/whistler-vertical-ski-competition-1.4033187

If memory serves you aren't up at the snow FT anymore are you @sastrugi ? How long were you based up at Thredbo?

I get less annoyed at the folks that have no idea skiing out of control etc. as I do the ones that obviously can ski/ride but still choose to be reckless (or only thinking of themselves and not considering others on the slope) - you've got the whole empty run to ski but you choose to ski within a foot of me at "Mach 10" whilst I am sitting off on the side talking to my kids :mad:

Anyway, I like the apps @Laska Goralska - great tech and whilst no doubt having the numbers (like speeds) is going to encourage some to push things I think if you are competitive and of a particular mindset (and you could probably generalise that as young men :p) you are going to find reasons to "compete" regardless.

Laska Goralska and telecrag like this.
  7. sastrugi

sastrugi Part of the Furniture

Hi Scooter, I did the '91 season, moved back to Thredbo Easter '93 "for one more season" but stayed year round 'til October '05 :D During that time I had one year in Canada and one year in Melbourne but Thredbo was still my home base as +1 was there. Canada in 96 was the only year I didn't have a season pass.

8. sourmash

sourmash One of Us

15,647 vertical metres
    34 runs
    130.1 km's

9. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us

Huge day. Bet the cold beer went down well after that.