Big White 2020/2021

bigwhite-rameok

Addicted
Aug 29, 2003
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Have not been out in a few days. Cold snap descended on Canada. Only got 5 runs in at -18C this morning before calling it quits. Supposed to get to a high of -13C today. Better than Northern BC, I imagine.

FSJ.JPG

Not much better at Northern ski hills. Wind Chill = -36C at Jasper this morning, and -30C at Banff.

Reactions: Chalkie

Captain Caveman

Early Days
Sep 24, 2020
Have not been out in a few days. Cold snap descended on Canada. Only got 5 runs in at -18C this morning before calling it quits. Supposed to get to a high of -13C today. Better than Northern BC, I imagine.

FSJ.JPG

Not much better at Northern ski hills. Wind Chill = -36C at Jasper this morning, and -30C at Banff.

Oddly I look forward to the cold snaps as I don't feel the cold so much. Anything in the -20 to -35 range I am a happy camper. Keeps the punters off the hill, dries out the snow and grips it up. However I wouldn't be able to without electric boot warmers and boot gloves. Cold feet is very unpleasant

Reactions: Roymond

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat

FSJ.JPG

are you still working from the hill ?

bigwhite-rameok

Addicted
Aug 29, 2003
Kelowna, BC, Canada
are you still working from the hill ?
Hey Crystal - Yep, still am. Although most days are only 2 hour ski days, that's better than nothing. Just passed 50 ski days so far this year. Would not have been able to do that just skiing weekends and holidays! Typically up at 5:30, at my desk by 6. Work for 3 hours till 9, then ski for 2 hours till 11 (barring any meetings). Back at desk by 11, work for an hour or so till a quick lunch, and back at desk again. Usually done by 5 PM, which gives me a 1/2 hour lunch, 2 hours of skiing and 8.5 hours of work. We get up at the same time (5:30) on Friday and drive back home before heading to our one day in the office on Fridays. Spend Saturday in Kelowna, and drive back up to the hill Sunday mornings (for the only FULL day of skiing). Repeat. It's a nice rhythm that is working for us.

bomber

Having a good time
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2001
Brisbane
Hey Crystal - Yep, still am. Although most days are only 2 hour ski days, that's better than nothing. Just passed 50 ski days so far this year. Would not have been able to do that just skiing weekends and holidays! Typically up at 5:30, at my desk by 6. Work for 3 hours till 9, then ski for 2 hours till 11 (barring any meetings). Back at desk by 11, work for an hour or so till a quick lunch, and back at desk again. Usually done by 5 PM, which gives me a 1/2 hour lunch, 2 hours of skiing and 8.5 hours of work. We get up at the same time (5:30) on Friday and drive back home before heading to our one day in the office on Fridays. Spend Saturday in Kelowna, and drive back up to the hill Sunday mornings (for the only FULL day of skiing). Repeat. It's a nice rhythm that is working for us.
Jealous, lucky you don’t have lawn to mow on the weekend :whistle:

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC

And a measured comment from a friend with a good degree of knowledge on these resorts..... I completely agree.

Would like to comment in a more upfront manner on a recent CTV video showing a free for all party at Big White Ski Resort in BC after the announcement of more restrictions due to the pandemic.

Not in any way condoning the behaviour of these young people or the venue that supported this behaviour.

That said, let’s break this down a bit.

1) BC implements the new restrictions with zero notice prior to a long weekend. Like they hadn’t been thinking about this given the increasing case numbers and absolutely had to spring this with less than a day’s notice? Restaurants and other businesses have to write off stock and inventory they had bought prior to the long weekend. Not like they haven’t had it hard enough as it is.

2) The resort employer in this case laid off their people immediately after the new restrictions. Likely with no notice or short term support. Gee, I might be a little pissed.

3) The restaurant offered 50% off alcohol sales thereby encouraging a free for all and advertised it as such. Not smart or responsible but maybe they’re hurting and just a little desperate.

4) The people attending willingly obliged. Not condoning the behaviour but at that age, I wonder if I would have acted any differently.

5) The resort management self righteously placed all the blame on the attendees and restaurant when in fact, they kindled the flames in the first place. Seriously? Pretty bad management.

A relatively predicable outcome.

Provincial authorities, Municipalities or in this case Resort Management needs to do a better job with risk assessment prior to actions during this pandemic. This reeks of totally incompetent management skills.

Before we start blaming younger people for recently escalating cases, let’s think about the behaviour of those of us in leadership roles.

bigwhite-rameok

Addicted
Aug 29, 2003
Kelowna, BC, Canada
While I mostly agree with what's been said above, don't forget that Big White is ALSO down a ton of business. How many folks who HAD reservations at the hill (for ski passes, accommodations, and restaurants) will likely cancel because of the new Public Health Order. Let's not paint Big White in this as "they are entirely responsible for this". They are fighting as hard as the restaurants are. What's their option ? Pay a bunch of restaurant workers to sit around while the restaurants are closed? They'd be out of business pretty quick if they did that as well. Same reasoning you can't blame the restaurant owners either.

Do I get it that these young folks do what they did ? Probably. And like others said above, probably would have done the same thing at that age. No winners here really, but let's not paint Big White management as the big ogres, responsible for kindling flames.

Reactions: Crystal

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
UPDATE 12:45 p.m.

Big White is taking the unprecedented step of trying to terminate the lease for Charley Victoria's Restaurant.

Ski hill senior vice-president Michael J. Ballingall confirmed to Castanet News that Big White is taking legal action to terminate the lease.

This comes after restaurant owner Justin Reid hosted a large party Monday night, just hours after the province announced the suspension of all in-house dining due to a sharp rise in COVID-19 cases.

The video, showing several dozen people partying in the restaurant without masks and not observing physical distancing, has gone viral.

"This can't be overlooked," said Ballingall.

"We've initiated legal proceedings to terminate his lease and evict him from the premises."

This is the first year of operation for the restaurant after Reid signed a three-year lease with a three-year option last year.

Ballingall says Reid is meeting with Interior Health, WorkSafeBC and the provincial liquor licensing branch later today.

"They're not going to go easy on him," said Ballingall, adding the ramifications for his actions are real.

Ballingall says this is the first time the ski hill has ever had to initiate this type of action against a leaseholder on the hill.

He says the damage Charley Victoria's has inflicted onto the ski hill as a result of Monday's event is being felt.

Ballingall also confirmed two ski hill employees have been fired as a result of the party, but added most people inside the restaurant had just been laid off due to the earlier order by the province.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
An influx of reservations from the Lower Mainland prompts Big White to close a week early
Big White closing Monday
Wayne Moore - Mar 31, 2021 / 1:00 pm | Story: 329664
big_white_p3521574.jpg

Photo: Nicholas Johansen/file

Big White will shut down operations for the season a week ahead of scheduled.

Senior vice-president Michael J. Ballingall confirmed Big White will close for the season Monday afternoon at 4 p.m.

"We have seen an unprecedented amount of inquiries for accommodations and lift tickets from the Lower Mainland," said Ballingall.

"This is obviously because of the fact that Whistler is closed. What we are enormously afraid of is if we stay open, people are going to travel that shouldn't be travelling, and just by the law of averages and numbers, COVID-19 and the P1 variant will be amongst those people.

"In order for them not to travel, we are going to turn off the resort so they don't have a reason to travel."

Ballingall says if Big White had stayed open, they would have been the only resort west of the Kootenays open after the Easter long weekend.

"We are getting calls to our 1-800 number, on our website, we can see where people are inquiring from. We can see that lift ticket sales are from the 604 area code.

"We made the decision that it is not worth staying open and these people showing up in our back yard. It puts everybody at risk."

Big White was originally scheduled to close for the season Sunday, April 11.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
I was working at one of the Naramata wineries yesterday morning and watched the food delivery truck pull up with a sizeable order of food for the coming long weekend, which of course is now wasted with the closure of indoor dining. The restaurant manager was visibly anguished at the sight, knowing they had to pay for that fresh food yet much of it would spoil before they could reopen. "If only we had more notice," she kept saying.

So I sympathize with businesses and employees over the immediate closures, but incidents like the BW party are why it had to be done this way. If there had been a week's notice, we would have seen a week of 'last chance' partying like this all across the province. People act irrationally when they perceive something is being taken away from them.

bigwhite-rameok

Addicted
Aug 29, 2003
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Well, that's a wrap folks. Saturday was the final day of the season for us, with the mountain closing up shop today. With the temps in the Valley getting nice, I'm sure more and more folks are turning to gardening, boating, golfing and the like. Like Sly did for the Apex thread, I'll report that Big White will close with a 233 cm base, on a 640 cm cumulative snowfall. March seemed to be a particularly dry one. Hope it doesn't stay that way as the Valley is already looking dry. Didn't get the head above the sign due to that so dry March. Hope y'all enjoyed the progression pics.
Secret End Season.JPG

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
& much of that snow to melt and find it's way into lakes & rivers...... Okanagan Lake is quite low for this time of year so i suspect they are looking at a large influx of snowmelt.

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
Is this an earlier close than most years? I seem to remember Revelstoke, Pano etc being open until about April 15 previous years?

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Is this an earlier close than most years? I seem to remember Revelstoke, Pano etc being open until about April 15 previous years?

See my post #66 just above.....

Most resorts are done by the end of the first or second Sundays of April,..... Typically the sun is shining and the days are longer & warmer in the valleys,.... So people are golfing,... & in our case,... gardening & boating.

In good years, there would be ski-able snow well into May,.... But it's not cost effective to remain open just so a few die-hards can ski it.

Reactions: Chalkie

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
My suspicious side wonders if BW and Revy used covid as an excuse and cut their costs by closing early. Sometimes, April days are money losing days, more so this year with few tourists and mild dry weather for so long already down in town that locals have almost all stopped skiing.

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
Well, that's a wrap folks. Saturday was the final day of the season for us, with the mountain closing up shop today. With the temps in the Valley getting nice, I'm sure more and more folks are turning to gardening, boating, golfing and the like. Like Sly did for the Apex thread, I'll report that Big White will close with a 233 cm base, on a 640 cm cumulative snowfall. March seemed to be a particularly dry one. Hope it doesn't stay that way as the Valley is already looking dry. Didn't get the head above the sign due to that so dry March. Hope y'all enjoyed the progression pics.
Secret End Season.JPG
Just being curious but what was the notice attached to the sign upright?

bigwhite-rameok

Addicted
Aug 29, 2003
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Just being curious but what was the notice attached to the sign upright?
If I'm not mistaken, it was something about that location was going to be an area where you could ski to with the kids on Easter Sunday morning to hunt for Easter Eggs. They seemed to be scattered around the hill. They DO cater to young families well at Biggie.

bomber

Having a good time
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2001
Brisbane
Youngest is only 16 months so will wait until he is maybe 4. I might have retired by then

bomber

Having a good time
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2001
Brisbane
Youngest's birthday is Dec 27 so will just be 3. That is why I think I will wait a year.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass