1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Biggest hill in Blue Mountains?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Bloke, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Looking for the best walks for summer training, so which track in the BMs has the greatest vertical ascent? Go...

2. sixty_eight

sixty_eight One of Us

The one that starts in Penrith.

JoeKing, cin and dawooduck like this.
  3. DJM

DJM One of Us

Not sure of the actual greatest vert, but Kanangra region is good for a punish. Top to bottom and back etc.

It's probably too far for training though, and I like doing the Solitary loop from Wenty falls station. Good climbing on the back side and take your pick of exits.

I met some guys running up and down the back of solitary last season, and they were camped at the bottom.

Bloke likes this.
  4. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

all the big ones 1000m +/- are kanangra, some are over a bit of distance. There are the three peaks obviously , the buttress up to Gouagang, or up Paralyser, Strongleg up to Cloudmaker are all pretty solid. :)
    My favourite sustained grunt is from coxs river up the gaspers to mt jenolan it is a continuous climb of almost uniform grade, no let up. Heartbreaker is also a good un.
    Then there are the dogs and pups of the wild dogs, start at carlons down to the creek up blackhorse and the pick a combination of down a creek return up a ridge. That'll clock up a 1000m + throw in Ironmonger or Galara pk for the return and you've really earned your dinner.
    Other than that, up out of Blue Gum has some good uns eg Lockleys, and ugh Perry's.
    In the lower mts there is some good slogs up from the junction of Springwood creek/ Grose river up to Grose head north or Grose head south . It's a fun day to start at the lookout out from Kurrajong and go down to the river, then up to Grose head North back to the river Up to GH south and back to the river cross opposite where you first cam down. All up, pretty compact but clocks up well over 1000m climbing from memory.

Richard, cin, Bloke and 1 other person like this.
  5. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

A nice scenic day out is, park car at Perry's Lookdown in Blackheath, ride bike down to the start of Lockley Pylon Track on Mt Hay Rd Leura, walk back to car via Lockley Pylon, Blue Gum Forrest, Perry's. Drive and get bike.

Bloke likes this.
  6. Majikthise

There's something about perry's that I hate..second only to ironmonger

7. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Thanks folks, that's given me plenty to think about - the spur up to Gouagang looks amazing, easily 1000m+ if you come up from the Cox - Awesome! Like the sound of the Lockleys + riding day trip. TW - do you go down the highway or can you ride back streets from Perrys?

Also contemplating a little loop planned for the snowies too: geehi flats --> Hannels Spur to Kosi (via townsend) --> Sentinel --> Opera House (via Sentinel Ridge) --> Siren Song Ck (Via Tunnel) --> Geehi Flat (Via Geehi River)

Anyone done something similar? DJM?

8. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Guaogang from the Coxs is 1000m+ Wonderful country.
    I think Cloudmaker from the Coxs is also 1000m+, if not it's very close.

@Majikthise what's wrong with Ironmonger?

9. Majikthise

Going up any of the kanangra ridges is a workout..navigating your way back down them is a different challenge.
    @climberman Ironmonger I find a particularly nasty grade up or down. maybe something to do with my optimal stride? Mind you I would be cactus on any of them atm.

10. Majikthise

When I was younger, fitter and more stupid we did the following as a july day jaunt. Set off at First light back on dusk.

Carlons, breakfast ck, backhorse, blue pup, cox, gaspers, Mt Jenolan, Jenolan saddle, cox, ironmonger, Carlons. A gawdawful number of km and gawd knows how much vertical... Thinking about it that may explain my negative perception of ironmonger...
    @Fuel probably does ridiculously stupid walks like this for enjoyment.

11. Untele-whippet

Regarding the bike leg Bloke, you can ride from Blackheath to Medlow Bath on the firetrail that parallels the southy side of the train line.
    As I type, they are putting in an access dirt road (for the powerlines I think) from Medlow Bath to the Explorers Tree near Katoomba right next to the highway on the southern side. I presume they'll let bikes access this!?
    The actual highway from Blackheath to Katoomba has virtually no verge for bikes and is quite windy
    From the Explorers Tree the highway has a good safe verge for bikes through to the Mt Hay Rd turnoff.

12. Majikthise

i believe it is actually a bike path!

13. DJM

DJM One of Us

I'd like to do something in KNP but the logistics are making it hard at the moment. I've had a fairly long stint off any cardio so may need to work up to something after Xmas. Picked the bike up from the shop the other day so keen to start rebuilding.

Funny about the timing of this thread as I've been thinking about gear choices for the winter BCTT. I don't get nervous about hardship but every time I think about the unconsolidated snow down from Olsens and back up to the firm stuff.....I have a little shiver.

5am downhill from DHG on the MTB will be f$ckin cold....will it be a bullet proof ice bike fest?

How will the ride up to Olsens go with a bit of gear on the back?

New lighter axe & crampons?

Bivy scenario....if it happens, should I do it in comfort or suck it up gearless....?

So many possibilities....So much Gnar. :)

Bloke likes this.
  14. Untele-whippet

I am speechless! Inbelievable! Unpossible! What is the world coming to ---- reason and logic!!

15. sbm

sbm One of Us

Was actually just looking at the vert on some of the canyon access tracks for training purposes.

Wollangambe 300m (about the same for all the tracks)
    Claustral exit - Rainbow ravine to Camel's Saddle is 250m - back down into the canyon - entrance gully to Mt Bell is 220m so about 470m total.
    Butterbox Pass is about 300m

At Kanangra - Murduring Gully is about 580m. Spur south of the Danae junction is about 610m.

Bloke likes this.
  16. DJM

DJM One of Us

this looks like a good hard route. The river section is interesting and I've heard the blackberries along the rivers edge can make it difficult. Packraft?

I've only done the OH hut as a day trip from Guthega via Twynam, over the sentinel and down the ridge returning by one of the chutes up the crags return. Tough day.

17. Shrek

Shrek Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

yeah but you do that 600 metres a in about 600 metres. it is not a long slow meander like some of the others. ascended murdering gully, kilpatrics causeway or the ridge next to murdering gully, and you know you are working hard.

i agree with the comments about perrys. Acetylene spur is a shocker too, but not really long enough and much further way being the exit climb from colong cave.

18. DJM

DJM One of Us

Yep Shrek, I did Kanangra car park out to the causeway and descended to the creek, then up onto Thurat Spires then returned. Another tough day on the legs.

19. Shrek

i like that one as a 2 day trip. camp on top of 2nd spire

20. ecowain

ecowain One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Agreed. It is awesome sleeping up there. But more fun when combined with Danae in a day.

21. Shrek

yeah that is tough

22. ecowain

Friends have done Danae and KM in a day. They didn't manage Danae, KM and Kalang though. That would be a tough day!

23. Shrek

is a day defined as 24 hours, or daylight hours?

24. ecowain

24 hours. Think they started at midnight to head to Danae.

25. Majikthise

Certifiable

26. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Funny you should mention that - its always been a half baked dream of mine to do that. Do you know if they went via the spires, or double run up MG? Think the spires would be required, but fear the bash around to start of KM from top of spires would be horrendous.

27. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Will be epic if you pull it off - trekking up half-filled-in-with-snow LNC sounds like a nightmare!

DJM and ecowain like this.
  28. ecowain

Spires route. And if you know where to go once you get up Spire Head, there's not too much thick scrub. Best to get away from the rim sooner and walk a bit further than to take the shortest route IMO.

Also know of a pair that have climbed from end of main part of Danae Brook canyon directly up to the saddle between second spire and Spire Head. Apparently it is a little on the very steep side.

#28 ecowain, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    Majikthise likes this.
  29. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Wow. Abseiling onto the saddle from second spire suggests 'cliffy' might be more apt than 'on the very steep side'

Majikthise likes this.
  30. ecowain

Agreed. I don't see my self going that way.

However I could imagine doing Danae and KM in a day by either Spires or normal routes. The last few times I've been through Danae has been about 8 hours car to car without going too fast and exiting up to Kilpatrick Causeway. KM seems to take about 6 hours.

31. Shrek

ok, i can see that happening. yes you can get to the saddle between spire head and 2nd spire by going straight up. i have not done it, but a mate has. from spire head to KM is not too hard, make the turn in the right place and it is almost downright simple. yes i have done that. the same route make it easy to get to the top of danae.
    much simpler that the road bash.

bloke, to get from second spire to the saddle is 3 abseils. to get to the saddle form below is a steep climb. but the climb comes out of pooken hole. not over the spires.

32. ecowain

Have only ever needed one 25m abseil to get from second spire down onto the saddle.

33. Shrek

i expect there are a few routes down

34. DJM

DJM One of Us

You blokes are mad.....I was peaking just getting to the top of the spires. I don't do great with heights so am thinking I'll do it at night so I can't see how exposed the freaking place is.

Bloke and Majikthise like this.
  35. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

The abseil off the 2nd spire onto the saddle would have to be one of the most atmospheric/exposed descents around; 500m drop either side of the saddle, it's really quite excellent

Majikthise likes this.
  36. sbm

sbm One of Us

I have to admit that despite having visited most of the popular canyons from Empress Falls to Newnes/Starlight canyon, I've never been to Kanangra. This summer though, I promise. I'll post pics.

The Thurat Spires traverse looks like one of the more classic "mountaineering" style trips you can do in the greater Blue Mountains.

Bloke likes this.
  37. ecowain

Have fun, Kanangra is a special place for me. Take care, some rock is pretty badly fractured, there is a lot of exposure, and the rock is a lot more slippery when wet than the sandstone further north.

There are some classic ridge traverses in the north of the greater BMs with a similar feel. It is very much discover your own adventure up that way :)

#37 ecowain, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  38. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Got out to the Wild Dogs last weekend. Went from Carlon's down to Breakfast Ck (they weren't lying about the nettles!) and then up Black Horse spur and out to Splendour Rock. Then on to Mt Yellow Dog, where my wife succumbed to heat exhaustion (was baking hot last weekend). We had run out of water, but were unable to make our planned camp at Konangaroo. In the end I went off solo to fetch water. Had planned to walk up the coxs to Kanangra ck but by the time I got down yellow pup ridge I was so hot and bothered I just jumped straight into the Coxs to try and lower my core temp. Filled up water right there and drank thirstily. Water seemed a bit gross but I haven't got sick yet so I think I'm OK - did put chemicals in the water but they take a while to work... Got back to the top of yellow dog at 7pm so it had been a 2 and half hour round trip - not too shabby given the heat. By the time I got back Mrs Bloke was feeling much better and had even set up camp. Then it was my turn to feel pretty shabby from the heat, finding the nausea hard to shake off.

The next day we left camp at 6am as the forecast was for an even hotter day. Got back to the car at carlon's by 10am and it was already insufferably hot, but the early start had done the trick mostly. It was a good reminder lesson about how much the heat can sap your energy and slow your progress. We had actually planned to hike up the coxs from konangaroo and return to the car via ironmonger ridge (Majik's favourite!). But we ended up well short of that - have to go back another day.

39. Majikthise

it has been dry...water would be at a premium. never a fan of drinking the cox, thankfully burragorang does a lot of diluting.

40. sbm

sbm One of Us

Increasingly I treat summer as the "off" season for just about everything. Too hot. I mean bushwalking and climbing in the heat is just brutal. Even canyoning you have to slog out up a big hill at the end of the day.

Retreat indoors and to the beach and waterways and the kayak, and wait until the shoulder seasons and winter!

(I have a theory my body runs hotter than the average. I love winter, melt in the heat, and everyone's constantly asking to turn down the air conditioning in my car. One day I'll move somewhere about 10 degrees colder and I'll be at peace)

Bloke likes this.
  41. DJM

DJM One of Us

Nice work mate! Hard going in the heat for sure.

I remember hitting the wall once on a day trip to Cloudmaker from the Kanangra end on a 35 degree day in January. I had planned to stay at Dex Creek over night but found myself jogging the downhills with a full pack. I signed the logbook on the summit at 10am and started running back but somewhere around Gabes Gap things started to feel weird. I'd never hit the wall before so knew it was probably heat trauma. After dodging more black snakes than I care to remember, I took an hour break and drank as much as I could before coasting back to the car.

I'm a bit the same sbm. I work hard outdoors all summer and am acclimatised, but don't like hauling ass in the middle of summer unless it involves water.

Bloke likes this.
  42. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

I might have to stick to canyoning.

I know what you mean about the snakes around that way. A few years ago I was walking through Kanangra ck and the place was infested with red-bellies, many of them swimming. Came round a bend and almost trod on one that had a 6 inch trout in its mouth.

DJM likes this.
  43. Majikthise

Was rock hopping down gingra creek and leapt off a rock only to see RB black in my landing zone...somehow I ended up back on the rock I left facing the opposite direction....

coolair, sbm, DJM and 1 other person like this.
  44. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Got out to Kanangra on the weekend for a long day walk out to the 3peaks of the eponymous walk. Dropped a car at a firetrail 10km north of the campground then drove down to the walls for a nice 6.30 am start. Out to Cloudmaker, then Paralyser and Guouogang then skirted west back to the car previously dropped off. Super amazing day out - those ridges up to the peaks are really amazing. Like really really amazing :) All up about 35km with 2500m vertical and a bloody long day - got back to the car at 10.30 with light rain settled in. Great trip. Special mention to @CT who did it on 1 hour sleep after arriving at the campground at 4am and @MrWendel who battled epic chaffing (and had a pretty solid cowboy-like swagger going at the end there...)

45. Majikthise

big effort, seriously big. A long time ago went down Guouogang and up Paralyser for a days jaunt, had aspirations of Cloudmaker but decided against it and headed back to froggy flats.

46. DJM

DJM One of Us

Solid effort! Well done all.
    You guys are building a bit of a reputation.....My tip for Mr Wendel is buy some Skins to go under the shorts. I have a long pair for winter and short ones for everything else. Purely for chafe.
    CT is bionic.

47. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Hehe... high praise from the man who SPLITBOARDED the K to K :)

48. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Where is this Froggy Flats you speak of? Any other exciting loops you might recommend?

49. Majikthise

sorry should be Ferny flat, below mt Krungle Bungle.
    As for other big climbs ..plenty to work with off either side of the Krungle Bungle range.
    Another fun loopy area is down to the jenolan and up again from the Black Range. The upper Jenolan " Hellgate gorge "is a great trip. Lower Jenolan likewise..all the ridges "go" more or less....
    If you want a time economical max metres hill climbing , you can do the "tops' working your way back and forwards from Gingra creek and back to the Kowmung, do as many as body and time allows and then back on the Gingra Range.

#49 Majikthise, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    Bloke likes this.
  50. Spiersy

Spiersy One of Us

Nooroo buttress is another beauty!