1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Biggest hill in Blue Mountains?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Bloke, Nov 13, 2014.

1. sbm

sbm One of Us

On saturday I left the car on the highway just out of Bell and walked to the campground at Mt Wilson, via Bell Creek canyon and then out the sandy bend track on the Wollongambe. 8 hours back to the tent (and the beer!). Not a huge amount of vert, but a lot of scrambling and swimming. I was pretty buggered after that!

Second time I've done a Bell-to-Mt-Wilson trip, first was via Wollongambe Crater and the upper Wollongambe in two days, both trips are well worth it.

Bloke likes this.
  2. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Bell is a mighty spectacular creek, I prefer exiting a short swim/walk upstream from the dufaur's junction, a simple side canyon which pops you on the track back to dufaurs rocks, saves all the lower dufaur's and 'gambee, and a gentler grunt. Knocks an hour or so off easily.

3. sbm

sbm One of Us

I know that exit out of Du Faur creek, but on the other hand, if you go down to the 'Gambe, you can lay out on the beach in the sunshine, and have a siesta while the gear dries out a bit, before you stroll up the hill.

4. Majikthise

Plenty of siesta space in the other, and warm rocks.

5. sbm

sbm One of Us

True. I think I just seem to prefer walking downstream.

6. sbm

sbm One of Us

Back on topic and for your viewing pleasure, Manslaughter Ridge, the slightly less awful companion to Murduring Gully.

Elapsed time: 1:44.23 Elevation gain: 512m Distance: 748m. Steeep.

[​IMG]

Untele-whippet likes this.
  7. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Ha that's awesome, So how did you enjoy the maiden kanangra trip?

8. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Was out that way (ish) on Sunday. Foolishly attempted narrowneck to Mt Cloudmaker solo with mtb leg for the narrowneck slog.

I got to the narrowneck lookout in good time (actually a pretty fun ride :)) and stashed the bike and gear in the bushes. I then ran/walked to the cox river, making good time to be there around 11.30. That's my second time down to that part of the cox and I can't get over how remote and wild it feels there. Awesome place.

After that it was time to tackle strongleg ridge. It felt quite commiting leaving the trail to get to the ridge. I Mean the Nav is not exactly difficult but i haven't really done wilderness terrain like this before with no track and solo so I found it pretty intimidating. In particular I was wary of not being able to find the track back home when I returned to the river; it's all pretty overgrown down there.

Anyway, once I got on to the ridge proper there were intermittent trails and a pretty obvious ridge to follow. I reached my turnaround time and was still a fair way from Cloudmaker so I decided to at least "summit" mt strongleg (780ish asl). It was dam hot on that North facing ridge - the 600m climb up from the cox was punishing!

I left the ridge aiming for the spot where I left the river and nailed it within 20 metres so that was a confidence booster. Had a glorious swim in the cox in a section well over head height depth. So good.

Made the slog home from there starting around 3pm and back to the car at 8.30. Sadly narrowneck will be closed for the next month starting today. Got this great trip in just in time.

Untele-whippet, sbm and Majikthise like this.
  9. Majikthise

but effective!

10. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Couple of pics

The goal
    [​IMG]

Beautiful cox's river
    [​IMG]

The always fun Taros Ladder
    [​IMG]

Some nice sunset action back on narrowneck
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. sbm

sbm One of Us

I had a fantastic day, and it's definitely a step up down there in size commitment and objective risk, and it's a long way to truck in almost 250m of rope! (we had 4x60m). Posted over in the Canyoning thread in the sports forum.

Du Fau's Creek this saturday is going to feel like a literal stroll in the park in comparison.

Bloke and Majikthise like this.
  12. sbm

sbm One of Us

One hill I think we missed here is the Red Track at Bungonia (and the White Track down to the Shoalhaven). That's about 400m vertical and pretty steep and loose going.

Bloke likes this.
  13. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

I got out for more blue mountains hill punishment on the weekend. I've been meaning to try the Mt Solitary ultra marathon course for ages so I decided to give that a crack (well a cheats version as I started at the locked gate a km down from the hospital and skipped the furber steps loop).

I've been loving the trail running thing lately so this seemed like a perfect adventure. And would be my longest ever run so also a good challenge. My running buddy failed to materialise at our meeting spot after presumably too many tins the night before so I just went it alone. Was an absolutely amazing day.

The course is so fun and engaging that the time really slips by. So many highlights: the fast descent to the kedumba, the awesome and punishing climb up to the col. The amazing views from mt solitary, the fun scrambling down the knife edge. The fast flat and beautiful rainforest run around to the scenic railway, the spectacular beauty of Leura Forrest. And finally the rugged beauty of the Jamison valley along the old service track.

By the time I got to Jamison creek I was pretty stuffed and I needed to dig bloody deep to get back up kedumba pass. But I made it up the steep bit eventually and finally back to the car. I was at it for 6 hours 39 minutes which was a good time for me - I definitely flogged myself. I reckon at about 42 km and close to 3000m of vert the course rates as pretty dam tough. Great day out for anyone who loves hills and the bush! :D

Bring on oz bc season 2015!

14. Majikthise

So will you give TNF a crack?

15. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

I don't think so. 100km is probably out of reach at the moment (although that's what I would have said about 45km a year ago).

Anyway, I don't have any qualifying times since I haven't done any official races, so they wouldn't let me in anyway...

16. Majikthise

you can enter the TNF 50 fresh

17. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Ouch! 230 bucks! Might just grab their course map and do it solo sans all the punters :D

18. DJM

DJM One of Us

@Bloke

I did the short loop last season from Wenty falls station after bonking due to running out of water. I bailed at the scenic railway and walked back to Katoomba station. Wishing I had more time to train this year but nothing like sabotaging yourself into early season floggings!

https://app.strava.com/activities/122801812

19. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Nice. Hot day running out of water? Pretty thirsty work over solitary on hot days.

So what's on the agenda in the time you do have? Is it too early to be talking pre-season? Haha

20. DJM

DJM One of Us

It wasn't all that hot from memory but hot enough to need more than I had. I don't do well in the heat generally speaking and seem to drink a fair amount. Half strength Gatorade etc.

I tend to be a little sporadic with trail running depending on injuries, so jump on the MTB every now and then. As for what's on the agenda?.....trying to squeeze in a few after work local loops on the bike before it gets dark, which is only an hour or more. I tend to get carried away on the fast techy single track stuff as opposed to long fire trail type rides.

I've been riding a fairly heavy 16.5 kg All Mountain setup so it's tough on the up and good for all round fitness. My time is no longer my own these days with a hectic work schedule etc so the daily time allocated to stay fit hasn't happened consistently for the last 2 seasons.

One thing I do like and can be done in half hour or so, is any basic floor work and basic heavy weights. eg. 4 sets of pushups, situps, basic bar and dumbbell sets to fail with only short 60 sec rests etc. I find it gives strength which most people don't find important for the endurance orientated touring and climbing steeps etc. I've not had too much trouble carrying loads which may have come from this different approach.

Check some of this stuff out. https://gymjones.com/

Get on you tube and look at the Gym Jones stuff....really cool hard core training techniques and philosophy

#70 DJM, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    Bloke likes this.
  21. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Looks pretty hardcore. Though my pin arms aren't designed for upper body work - best I focus on getting these legs into tip top shape for hill climbin' and down slidin' :D

Speaking of, for better or worse, we'll be having a crack at the 3 peaks this weekend. Leaving Katoomba at around 10pm Friday and aiming for 30 hours, but we really don't know how we'll go. Guess we'll find out. Solid mix of nerves and excitement!

I partly blame @Majikthise for this ending up on the agenda. I had long ago promised myself I would never do anything so foolish, but recent walks in the area have inspired me...

ecowain, DJM and Majikthise like this.
  22. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Good luck, go hard.

30 hours is quick.

Which route?

I've started..... but it remains on the tick list :)

23. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Path of least resistance i.e. standard route out via yellow pup ridge and home via yellow dog ridge.

24. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

After cloudride you should be in perfect shape to give it a nudge

Majikthise likes this.
  25. Majikthise

You can get yours next year, to celebrate my 50th year on the planet I am contemplating Tnf50 2016. Giving myself a full 12 months as I suspect my starting base is pretty low and the possibility of injury pretty high..I blame @climberman

26. DJM

DJM One of Us

Look at all the old farts killing it.......Stoked to see motivation in here. :thumbs:

Bloke likes this.
  27. climberman

After winter I think.

28. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

So we gave it a decent shot but came up empty handed sadly. Now the itch burns stronger.

We left at 10.30pm with the temp at 6 deg and the wind on narrow neck absolutely howling. The wind chill was thus well below zero and had us all privately thinking wtf am i doing here. I wasnt the only one to sneak an extra down jacket into my pack last minute.

Anyway we got as far mt cloudmaker after nearly being thwarted by high waters on the cox. At the summit we decided that a couple of body niggles meant attempting the other 2 peaks may not be wise. So we retraced our steps back home. Total distance was 72km with 3200m vertical in 23 hours. Long way to walk for no tick!

DJM, climberman, sbm and 1 other person like this.
  29. climberman

Nice one @Bloke . My pardner and I got just as far on our attempt, but with a different time layout.

I suspect lots of people dont get it done first time around (he tells himself reassuringly).

If it was easy, it'd wouldn't be so special.

Have you been up any of the other two? I've been to Cloudmaker (a few times) and Guouagang but not Paralyser (not the one in the Blueys, anyway :))

Difficult to get the right balance of moonlight, warm nights and cool days for those hard Blueys walks!

30. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Yeah we did a trial run in January taking in all 3 peaks starting from the walls and finishing out on walls rd (car shuffle). I guess that was part of the reason we bailed - we knew what was bloody ahead of us :eek:

yeah optimum conditions are definitely hard to come by. That might be it until Spring now...

I think in hindsight perhaps aiming to sleep might be a better way to approach a first attempt!

31. Majikthise

What time did you get to the cox,and cloudmaker summit?

32. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Cox at 3.30am and cloudmaker around 9 (I think...)

33. seak

seak One of Us

Am I at the right thread?
    On Sunday, drove past, then parked, near that Biggest Hill in the Blue Mountains - 1111m. After our days climbing, looked over BoM obs... at 12MD temp was -1.8 apparent temp, pushed down from 9 degrees due to consistent 48km/h wind. A gust of wind at that time read 84km/h. Fantastic atmosphere due to the clear sky, but we were stalling a bit when stretching for a crimp.

Untele-whippet and Majikthise like this.
  34. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Shoulda called in for a warming cuppa at Chateau Mont Vic before your departure to the low lands. :)

35. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

My chronicle of non ski season blue mountains exploration continues. On the weekend i attempted an ambitious loop i'd constructed one night while playing around with open street maps. Success!

We parked at Carlons and headed off for ironmonger at 8.20. A quick gallop down the knee breaking spur got us to the cox pretty rapidly although we did have to detour around a large red belly.

From the river we straightlined it up to srubbers hump and then along the fantastic krungle bungle range to mt Queahgong. Its amazing what you find in the bush:

[​IMG]

This crash happened in April 1968 and is documented in the google-sphere.

We had lunch at the wreckage and then made our way to Guouogang. We hit the cairn with very little trouble in what im calling a navigational coup. That was around 3.

From here we took on the mighty Guouogang ridge. Surely this is the biggest, vertical metre-wise, in all of blue mountains? At 1291 down to 175 it must be close.

We got to the cox at 5.30. This was a magnificent section of the river:

[​IMG]

Now it was just the small matter of getting back to carlons. We inched our way up the relentless yellow dog ridge, making it to mount yellow dog in the dying twilight. From here it was torches on and fast walking round to mobbs swamp. We may have startled a few campers as we passed through, lights blazing.

Now we navigated along the trail carefully, trying not to miss the junction with Black Horse ridge in the darkness. Eventually we found our mark.

This would be our final navigational challenge to finish a long day. There is the faintest of footpads and with a lot of care, we were able to follow this all the way to breakfast creek.

Our final assignment was the short walk up carlons creek - infested with stinging nettles. Since neither of us had trousers this was an unpleasant experience to say the least!

We finally got to the the car at 1230. Sixteen hours, 42km and 3000m vertical later. Hell of a day; the grand ridges of Kanangra deliver again.

DJM, coolair, Majikthise and 4 others like this.
  36. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty

37. climberman

Nice route - have done similar over a few days with old friends. Good country for old men.

Bloke likes this.
  38. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Something went wrong with image paste. Heres the river pic:

[​IMG]

39. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Did you guys find the plane?

40. Majikthise

41. Angus_McCrory

Back around 1980, a friend and I had the intention of hiking from Kanangra Walls to Yerranderie and back. Very hot weather and a case of heat stroke on the first day put paid to that, but revisiting I'm not certain what we were thinking. We had done plenty of hiking in the Budawangs but very little in the Blue Mountains.

42. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

The heat can be punishing.

So how far is that? Just had a quick look at the map; looks like a good walk

43. Angus_McCrory

I think the distance was ....... overly ambitious :eek:

Bloke likes this.
  44. climberman

I only learned about it after we returned. Pretty sure we ate within 100m of it!

45. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

D'oh!

climberman likes this.
  46. DJM

DJM One of Us

Super work mate!
    I miss a good punish.... I remember doing the stinging nettles after dark one year too. :thumbs:

Bloke likes this.
  47. DJM

DJM One of Us

Do we fit the category of old men yet?

48. Untele-whippet

No :doh:!

DJM likes this.
  49. DJM

DJM One of Us

I've ticked a few boxes lately TW. Grey in the beard, crankier than usual, random hair from the ears....

50. Untele-whippet

The simple fact you that can see the boxes puts you in the ankle biter corner --- young man.
    When your age allows you to change your name to dribble you will be entering the hallowed hall of forgetfulness and hyperbole

Majikthise likes this.