1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Use the Force filters, Guest!

Skis     Snowboard     Telemark     Clothing     Boots     Bindings     Accessories     Roof Racks     Chains     Outdoor Gear     Wanted     Free     Sold

TUTORIAL: How to post in Gear Swap so it sells

Sold Blizzard Brahma 173cm - 14-15 - Sidecountry Touring

Discussion in 'Gear Swap' started by Byron, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Byron

Byron Hard Yards

Blizzard Brahma 173cm - 14-15
    173cm in length and 88mm waist width
    $500 with bindings (and skins)
    $200 without bindings (or skins)

Purchased new in 2015. ~6 weeks on them.
    Currently fitted with small Marker Baron bindings
    If you buy them complete they will come with a pair of G3 climbing skins I cut down to fit.

I bought these new in 2015 as my daily driver all mountain skis when I first became serious about skiing, deliberately buying them short so I wasn't to "overskied" while learning (I'm 185cm tall). They are a fairly stiff ski, having two layers of titanal, however with the rockered tip they are very forgiving with turn initiation and release. The torsional stiffness lets them bite in and rail on hard snow or ice, without so locked in that you can't release the turn at will. Being a little wider than pure on piste skis along with the rockered tips make them great fun in softer snow while the dampening of the two layers of metal make charging through chopped or variable conditions a blast. The only reason I am selling is that I have outgrown these due to their short length, so I am moving up to a pair of 187cm Brahmas.

They are fitted with frame touring bindings as I wasn't sure if ski touring was going to be my cup of tea. It was, and I now have a dedicated touring setup, however the bindings have proved invaluable for quick sidecountry dashes, such as ducking over to poach lines on Paralyser while retaining all the benefits of alpine boots and bindings.

These skis would be perfect for someone who is looking to move up to a more advanced all-mountain ski, who wants to cruise the slopes while still having enough ski to charge when the mood takes them. Alternately if you are looking to dip your toe into the world of ski touring this is an inexpensive way to begin exploring beyond the resort boundaries and expanding horizons.

$500 with bindings (and skins)
    $200 without bindings (or skins)

Chaeron and Annabuzzy like this.
  2. Chaeron

Chaeron A Local Ski Pass: Gold

A great ski and a very convincing price!

3. Chaeron

Annabuzzy likes this.
  4. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

The Brahma has been the reference ski in the class since it was released. Jumping from 173cm to 187cm is a big step up though. Even the guys on Blister Gear debate the merits of the 180cm ski v's the 187cm version, and they tend to go for long skis with all their choices.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2014-2015-blizzard-brahma

Then again the latest review says this: "But I do think this new version [the 2019 model] is easier to ski and is a bit more forgiving than the previous version, while at the same time I have yet to find it lacking in terms of top end."

A friend of mine skis the 2019 Brahma (180cm) at +2cm from the recommended line. That's broadly consistent with the Blister Gear review (where they talk about mounting +1.5cm) so take some time to consider your mount point with the new skis, especially if you're buying the 187cm version.

I have some 2017 Brahmas in 180cm although I need to remount the heel pieces forward to fit my boot before I can ski them. I'm considering doing that ahead of our next trip and waiting on a weather forecast before making the call. They seem to be mounted for a Mondo 32 boot (super large) and I run a 29, so I'll end up around 1.5cm forward of the line, which sounds fine to me.

Chaeron likes this.
  5. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I do. A great ski.

I’m on the 173cm but I’m only 177cm tall. I could flit between the 173 or 180 but for Oz conditions I find the 173 fantastic.

For a 185cm guy I’d think a 180 or 188 would indeed be the length.

FatBoyDave, Jacko4650 and Chaeron like this.
  6. Chaeron

I ski the wider Blizzard Bonafide on the 173cm also at 177 cm tall -

Narrower ski can mean you could go longer, depending on ability and power to drive the ski.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  7. Annabuzzy

Incidentally for me a 175 or 177 would be ideal. But then it would be called a Volkl Kendo lol

Chaeron likes this.
  8. Chaeron

LOL

9. Byron

Byron Hard Yards

I know going to the 187cm Brahma a big step up is size, and when I demoed both the 180cm and the 187cm I was surprised to find that I preferred the longer length. The 180cm really didn't do it for me. The other ski on my list is the Kendo in 184cm, which felt completely natural, but not as "chargeable"

I might just be over compensating after the last season on the 173cm Brahmas which had obviously become to short and were causing me issues.

Any other skis you guys think are worth looking at in the ~90mm all mountain range?

Chaeron likes this.
  10. Annabuzzy

I can only go by what others say, but the Blister guys say the Brahma is the reference 88mm underfoot ski. You really can’t go wrong.

Chaeron likes this.
  11. linked_recoveries

If you managed to demo the Brahma in two sizes and were happy with the 187cm ski then you’re miles ahead of the game. It’s on the ‘stout’ end of the spectrum in that space but is still a very versatile ski.

There’s a YouTube video review of around sixteen different skis in that same category. Unfortunately that just screws up your thinking. They have positive things to say about every ski and checking out too many skis tends to leave you in a sort of decision paralysis.

LaNeige, Jacko4650 and Chaeron like this.
  12. Byron

Byron Hard Yards

Reading the Blister review has me second guessing myself - past experience has taught me that Jonathan Ellsworth skis the same way I do, and skis he likes, I like. So his call of "get the 180cm" is giving me doubts.

Just had a look at my notes (yes I take notes on skis I demo) and it appears the ski I didn't like was the 82mm version of the Brahma in 180cm, and I didn't ride the 180cm 88mm Brahma.

Here are my notes on the skis I particularly liked in case anyone has an interest:
    Vokel Kendo 88 - 180cm
    All Mountain
    Felt like home. Totally comfortable and able to run at ten/tenths. Easy upgrade from the current brahmas
    Vokel Mantra M5 96 - 184cm
    Charger
    Big, chargey ski. Likes the tips driven but not unforgiving. Maybe a little to much ski right now, but not by a lot.
    Blizzard Brahma 82 - 180cm
    Carver
    Did not like it. Felt a little hookey and unforgiving
    Blizzard Brahma 88 - 187
    All Mountain/Charger
    One ski quiver. Chargey, fun, able to be driven but forgiving enough that mistakes can be papered over.
    Icelantic Nomad 115 - 181cm
    All Mountain/WTF!?!?!?
    Easy GS turns on a 155mm ski. It's absurd. Tips a little flappy. Softer tail and bulk tail rocker bake it ski shorter, but once laid over it locks in and rails. The soft tail make it easy to change the arc and adjust the tuns on the fly. Or just slarve through it. Oh, and it works on ice (somehow)
    --would like to try a size larger, all thoiugh at this width it might be to much ski

LaNeige, FatBoyDave and Jacko4650 like this.
  13. Chaeron

Sounds like the Volkl Kendo....but you’d have to give the Wailer 100 serious consideration :whistle:

skifree likes this.
  14. linked_recoveries

In that space, of the skis I’ve demoed, the Nordica Enforcer would get the nod. The new 88 or the 93, either would work. Mind you I haven’t been on the Brahma (in the correct length) or the new Kendo.

I’d like to demo the K2 Mindbender and I was looking forward to trying some dps skis in July although circumstances meant dps Driver didn’t make it to the demo weekend.

Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone.

Chaeron likes this.
  15. Chaeron

@Byron @skifree - What about splitting this thread into two - one for the sale and one for the ski discussion

- that way the conversation can continue even when the skis are sold and that way the extended conversation won’t end up confusing potential buyers and delay the sale?

16. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

There is already a few threads on this topic & these skis even.

Maybe I’ll fool with the thread split when I’m back at a keyboard.

Byron and Chaeron like this.
  17. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Great price . Spose it depends on your ability ?
    I am sure you know what you are doing but going from 173 to 187 cm at 185 cm tall sounds a bit of a jump ?

18. linked_recoveries

Rocker at tip and tail makes them ski a little shorter than the numbers imply. From around 2017 they introduced carbon into the tip and tail which reduced the swing weight a little. The Blister guys are saying the newest version is a touch easier to ski than the earlier versions. Mounting a little bit forward of the manufacturer’s mark will quicken up turn initiation. All of that makes the 187 ski more approachable.

#18 linked_recoveries, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Chaeron likes this.
  19. Annabuzzy

Inspired by this set up I bought myself some Tyrolia Adrenalin 13 AT bindings. I’m not sure whether I’ll put them on my current Brahmas, or put them on their replacement (coming either this winter, or the winter after).

I think it’s a good idea the 88 underfoot ski with a frame AT binding for Oz resort skiing and side country.

Byron and Chaeron like this.
  20. Conkers

Conkers Early Days

I'm keen to see these, please drop me a PM or tag me here

Conrad

#20 Conkers, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2020
    Chaeron likes this.