1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

BloomSky Weather Camera Station: The first to take images of the real sky every 5 mins in addition t

Discussion in 'Daily & Chat' started by kelsea, Aug 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kelsea

kelsea First Runs

A friend of mine works at BloomSky, a tech company whose goal to change the way we observe the weather.

It's a neat device that captures real-time images of the sky and combines it into a time-lapse at the end of the day. If you're a smart home or outdoorsy kind of guy, you should check it out: kck.st/2aQQYCx

2. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Old n' Crusty Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Interesting product. IMO they've reinvented the weather station, albeit with a camera.
    Coming from an active weather buff, an image of the sky is only a small percentage of what I care about when checking live weather. An AWS is more about live, factual data where I can build a profile of what the weather is like.

I could see this being a novelty for your average-Joe but by in large it's just another weather station. I am intrigued as to how the live data is displayed and recorded and how customisable it is.

It might be just me but if I want to see what the sky looks like for a particular location I just type 'webcam + location' into google and I can usually find something live... Accurate, comprehensive, consistent weather data is a little trickier to find IMO.

3. The Fallen

The Fallen One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

What POW said :)

4. kelsea

kelsea First Runs

Thanks POW for your reply! If you're interested in seeing how the live data is displayed, you can download their free app on the App Store. I had no idea you could google a sky image, thanks for the tip!

5. kelsea

kelsea First Runs

Thanks The Fallen for your reply! If you're interested in seeing how the live data is displayed, you can download their free app on the App Store. I actually like their app very much

6. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Old n' Crusty Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Just downloaded it.
    Very basic in it's display. Just a jazzed up google weather IMO.
    Personally, it lacks a lot of detail (pressure trend, rainfall total, wind). WeatherUnderground has had this wrapped up for years.
    The only real USP to a BloomSky station seems to be the camera/time lapse - again this only serves as a small percentage of what I look for in weather obs.