1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Blue Cow $99 8:30AM Private Lesson (2 hour) - what's the catch?

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Pete Holden, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Pete Holden

Pete Holden Early Days

Why is this so much cheaper than a 9:00AM 3 hour lesson, which is around $500. Is there a catch? Or disadvantages?

It says in the Perisher website that the lesson is for beginners. So as a beginner, I can take 2 x $99 lesson on two consecutive days for a total of 4 hours/$198, vs $500 for a 3 hour 1 day lesson?

Is there an advantage (or disadvantage) to that extra hour on the first day?

2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Not uncommon for resorts and ski schools to incentivise beginner lessons.

When I was instructing there was research done to show that it took 3 days for someone to really ‘get’ skiing and fall in love with it, but the dropoff after day 1 was massive, so getting people to get over that hump is beneficial to hopefully create a lifelong skier.

3. Pete Holden

Pete Holden Early Days

Ok that makes sense.

So I already bought the 3 hour $500 lesson x 3 days weeks ago and this new price $99 2 hour price is obviously a bummer for me. I could have bought 8 hours for 4 days for $396 vs $1500 for 9 hours over three days.

I don't want anyone to justify my past purchase decision, but is there any advantage to having 3 day 3 hour lessons vs 4 day 2 hour lessons in terms of my progression (I'm just a beginner), if the price was the same? Lay it to me.

skifree likes this.
  4. Aractus

Aractus Hard Yards

Hey Pete, welcome. I only took one lesson myself and even that I quit half way through. Personally I'd say don't take lessons as a beginner, other than just one to get the basics set. I mean even in my lesson a few years ago there was no instruction on how to properly do up your ski boots which I reckon is pretty important information.

5. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Jeeeesus.

siballah, sara777, qwill and 15 others like this.
  6. Pete Holden

Pete Holden Early Days

Sorry to be more specific, I had one group lesson last month. I'm returning this week to take private lessons.

With the lesson you're talking about, was it private or group? What made you quit halfway?

7. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Not sure when you’re going but you could try calling Perisher and changing the lessons from the one you’re currently booked for to the beginner package, you never know they might do it. I’ve had luck in the past with changing arrangements with a few days notice.

8. Aractus

Aractus Hard Yards

It was group (in Thredbo) and I guess I just wasn't happy with it. If you're taking private lessons that's completely different.

9. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

LOL

Ozgirl likes this.
  10. Pete Holden

Pete Holden Early Days

Fingers crossed. $1100 difference for 1 extra hour is lot of dough!

piolet and dawooduck like this.
  11. southpaw

I see wetsnow and crikey are making some headway with you.

12. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I doubt that they would approve of the use of the Messiah as an expletive. *personal comment deleted by mod*

13. Aractus

Aractus Hard Yards

Eh to be fair I'm just speaking from my own experience. An athlete benefits from a trainer, personally for me I didn't see any benefit for it as I know I'm never going to be competing ,I just care about being competent. If I thought I needed help for competency then that would be different.

14. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Harsh.

cold wombat likes this.
  15. skifree

Just wet myself reading this.

Kopite, Ozgirl, sara777 and 9 others like this.
  16. Aractus

Aractus Hard Yards

Are you saying I'm not a competent skier??

17. skifree

Nooo not at all, actually I didn’t even think about your skiing.

Your writing was too wonderful.

18. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

Stopping, turning, being able to get on a lift/t-bar/carpet, guidance on how to participate on snow safely are all pretty important.
    Doing up your ski boot should be taken care of when you hire or buy.

Though I do have a vague recollection from '91 that the instructor at the time did check. Along with showing how to step into the skis on a slope.

19. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Social Media Mod Ski Pass: Gold

I'm in the "always have lessons" camp so I'm gonna shut up.

Ozgirl, qwill, FINCL and 10 others like this.
  20. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

No advantage in fact the 4 x 2 over 4 days may be better. The early lesson may also be a smaller group.

Good luck, welcome to skiing

21. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Not at all. But which runs do you frequent? Asking for friend.

Kopite, sara777, qwill and 7 others like this.
  22. Pete Holden

Pete Holden Early Days

No this is not a group lesson. It's a one on one private lesson for $99 for 2 hours.

23. dawooduck

Even better, hope you get a well qualified instructor.

24. Pete Holden

Pete Holden Early Days

Thanksbut hold the congratulations. Back to the original discussion.

Unfortunately I already booked weeks ago. I booked at the regular private lesson price of $500 per day for 3 hours (for 3 days, so $1500 in total).

Southpaw suggested I contact Perisher for an exchange to the $99 2 hour price. It makes sense from a monetary point of view ( 8 hours over 4 days totalling $396 vs 9 hours over 3 days totalling $1500). But does it make sense from a progression point of view?

Will I progress faster taking 4 days x 2 hour lessons vs 3 days x 3 hour lessons?

25. skifree

It’s a very individual question.

I think it comes down to the attitude you take into the process. If you approach either option really positively you’ll get a shit tonne out of it,

I really applaud your commitment to learning & seeking good lessons & follow on. It’s something Aussies don’t do enough of.

Whichever option you choose good luck and pace yourself and take a drink & a snack.

26. hipo

hipo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Reckon it would be the purple runs with all the staff that are in the car park at 6.30am:whistle:

Ozgirl, sara777 and qwill like this.
  27. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future! Ski Pass: Gold

ROFLROFLROFL

Ozgirl and cold wombat like this.
  28. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

wow? Really? That's your advice? Don't take lessons as a beginner? So when SHOULD someone take lessons?

29. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I suspect your definition of competent may be rather individual.

Kopite, cold wombat and Ted Harper like this.
  30. Snowfi

Snowfi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Concentration span? Fitness? Ski fitness?
    2 early hrs x four days gives you plently of time during the rest of the day to practice what you worked on, on the same runs but at your own pace (technically and physically) Then onto more the next day.

Either way, congratulations on your committment to progressing! You will soon be hooked and asking what equipment to buy first! My answer: nothing yet, if you keep up lessons your skill increase will make beginner equipment redundant.

cold wombat likes this.
  31. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I thought this attitude was confined to a small number of snowboarders
    clearly wrong - sorry to any boarders whom I may have offended
    wish I’d seen Legs’ deleted comment

32. dawooduck

8hrs over 4 days would be my recomendation.

33. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

Years ago I was told that some people progress faster, some slower, but after about 5 days most people end up around the same competency.

34. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

nothing yet but get some boots at the next sale of a reputable place that does proper fitting

35. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Considered offended
    Let's stop the snowboard bashing bs eh?

36. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Are you are beginner who has never been on skis before? If so, the 2-hour private lessons over 4 consecutive days makes a lot of sense. Or 2 days with 2-hour lessons, a day off from lessons, and then another 2 days with 2-hour lessons. If this is your second or third season but you haven't had that many days on snow and you are in pretty good shape, then it doesn't make any difference.

I'm not an instructor. Started taking lessons regularly as an older adult after a knee injury. I was an advanced skier but had some bad habits. What I learned to do is make sure I had lessons with very experienced instructors, meaning 15+ years of experience teaching. Not the instructor with less than 3 years of teaching experience mostly teaching beginners and intermediates. Small group (< 4) was just as effective as solo private, sometimes better because of my personality. I learn a lot observing an instructor teaching someone else. If I knew 20 years ago what I know now, I would've started taking lessons when I put my daughter in ski school at age 4. Since I didn't, she was a better skier than I was by age 11. Took several years of lessons for me to catch up, only because I could ski more often than she did once she got to high school.

The payoff for learning good technique from the start as an adult is that you'll be able to continue to ski the same terrain you end up enjoying long after retirement. Meaning you won't have to "slow down" because your muscles aren't in as good shape due to natural aging after 50 or 60 or 70+. Good skiing requires far less strength than some people imagine.

piolet, cornice11, Snowfi and 4 others like this.
  37. Skiing Gus

Skiing Gus Hard Yards

Thanks for the comments - its been years since I've had a lesson. I've now improved my confidence to move from Green terrain into covering Perisher 'Black' runs. These look like great value - the only catch is that it appears you get who you get rather than being able to specify/nominate a particular instructor.

skifree likes this.
  38. southpaw

This a really thoughtful and well explained post!

I guess everyone’s experience is different. I have taken lessons each season whenever I can afford it to keep tuning up technique and trying to get more comfortable on steeper runs. I feel however I’m a perpetual intermediate level skier and have come to terms with that.

What does shock me though are people who show up to the snow for the first time, usually with friends, hire gear, get on a chair lift and the hurtle down front valley (or even more challenging runs) out of control, a danger to themselves and others.

I spent sometime recently standing behind the netting at the bottom of FV watching one out of control skier after another careen into it. BTW I realised the netting provides no safety for those behind it!

It occurred to me that ski resorts should really ensure that skiers and boarders have had at least one lesson before allowing them to obtain a pass. Of course that would be a tricky matter to implement but goodness there has to be a way to ensure some baseline skills given the danger these people pose to themselves and others.

39. Aractus

Aractus Hard Yards

Yeah but I think all those basic skills you can learn through practise and repetition. I remember spending lots of time teaching myself how to turn, practising that very basic stuff. I've never really struggled with any lifts, all you have to do is stand straight whether riding a T-Bar or unloading off a chair (and hold your polls out of everyone's way).

Yeah the operative word being "should". Here's a short vid showing correct buckling:

I wish I knew that when I first started, it wasn't covered by either the hire place (KT) or by the beginner's lesson. Really that's the first thing any skier should learn before even putting the skis on.

My apologies for some reason I didn't realise this thread was about private/solo lessons originally, I definitely can see the value in those. For people who have already learned the basics that is, the OP as a beginner I would think would get better value out of practising on his own with just a little instruction, you can go at your own pace. The only thing it might be worth getting instruction for (as a beginner) is how to properly parallel ski, it's not hard but it's not completely intuitive - but once you know what to do just practise practise practise to build competency.

I actually don't consider myself "competent" FYI, that was a rhetorical question, I do however know my ability and what I need to work on to improve.

skifree likes this.
  40. cold wombat

/me struggling to stay shut up

41. southpaw

Don’t fight the urge; no one else seems to;)

currawong, MarzNC, skifree and 2 others like this.
  42. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Even as a intermediate to advanced skier I still take lessons occasionally. I don’t compete either, the lessons really help tighten up my skiing though and allow me to go a bit harder (and maintain control) whilst out on the planks.

43. cold wombat

You're not making it easier. Good thing I took enough lessons to stay in control when things get unexpectedly difficult.

:p

Marty_McSly, currawong and southpaw like this.
  44. MarzNC

Thanks!

Warning, more stories below . . .

I was a "terminal intermediate" for close to 30 years as a grad student and working adult. Had perfectly good fun cruising easy blue groomers for a few days every 2-3 years after I had enough money and vacation time for a ski trip to a big mountain. (A lot less vacation time in the U.S.) I didn't learn until about 10 years ago that there was a professional certification process for ski instructors. That made a big difference in how I went about taking lessons. Without the knee injury in 2012 (not skiing), not sure I would've ever gotten serious about improving technique. I've experienced what a really good instructor can teach in an hour or two that allowed me to know exactly what to practice. My first instructor (25+ years teaching, PSIA Level 3) at my small home hill (1000 ft vert, 75 acres, a long run takes 3 min tops) told me point blank that ingraining new habits would take at least a season, if not two. I was getting in about 30 days on snow per season then, with no more than 15 at big mountains. Since then I've worked with over a dozen different instructors with comparable experience and training as teachers. I've learned something fundamental from every lesson regardless of the terrain. For that matter, the big breakthru moments happened on green or blue trails. Also completely understand why "mileage" makes a difference. And I don't mean mileage on challenging steep terrain.

A friend who is in his late 30s decided about 5 years ago it was time to learn how to ski correctly before he hurt himself. Has wonky knees from too much basketball. Never had lessons when speeding down short slopes with his buddies as a young teen. He started skiing more often locally and taking 2-3 trips each season to big mountains in the Rockies. Took a few private lessons with instructors recommended by name. Based on his experience and mine, we decided that for a dedicated intermediate who skis less than 20 days a season, it's possible to become an advanced skier but it will take a while. Meaning 4+ years with lessons and at least a week at a big mountain every season. What both he and I started doing a few years ago is going to Taos for a Ski Week. Quite a concept . . . 6 consecutive morning lessons with the same very experienced instructor (15+ years) in a small group. Surprisingly inexpensive, only US$300 plus tip. Taos is a bit harder to reach than destination resorts in Utah or Colorado, so the Ski Week is one reason it survived in the 1960s. To get the same attention at another destination resort in the U.S. would be a lot more expensive.

Along with the lessons, what really helped was finding a ski buddy who was both patient and a better skier. His story about lessons in recent years is even more interesting but not relevant to a beginner.

45. cold wombat

Did learning to do up your boots help?

/me struggling with control despite lessons

southpaw likes this.
  46. MarzNC

?? Did you mean to quote someone else?

Actually what I learned to do was to practice a little with the top buckle undone or loose. But that's was as an advanced skier, not a beginner. I did need to learn how to buy properly fitted boots after reps in demo tents in 2004 made fun of my 1990s rear-entry boots. :)

southpaw likes this.
  47. southpaw

LOL

48. cold wombat

I meant to quote you but the question wasn't aimed at you.

49. sara777

sara777 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

FWIW, I've skied for a long time, but my technique took a bit of plunge due to constantly & unconsciously trying to protect my knee after I've done my ACL. Thanks to @Ozgirl and then @Sandy in Japan, I gained more confidence in skiing powder (and in general).
    However, I missed two seasons due to finishing my Masters last year and ongoing injury issues this year. So guess what will be the first thing I'll do next year? Taking a lesson right at the beginning to get my confidence back (and work on my technique). I would never think I don't need lessons. What a silly concept.

Marty_McSly, MarzNC, Tonester and 3 others like this.
  50. cold wombat

Accurately reflects my philosophy.

/me goes back into a balanced position

Marty_McSly, southpaw and sara777 like this.