1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Blue Cow $99 8:30AM Private Lesson (2 hour) - what's the catch?

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Pete Holden, Aug 18, 2019.

1. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I only ever took 1 snowboard lesson when i was a kid then ended up teaching it, my little brother same and he ended up with a board sponsor. I went from snowboarding back to skiing as there was a lot more work skiing because skiers take lessons snowboarders don't. I would think there would be 4 ski instructors to every 1 snowboard instructor in ski school

piolet likes this.
  2. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

To me, skiing is as much about aspiring to technical precision and improvement as it is to have fun. I think that's what keeps me hungry to ski....knowing there is always something to work on or improve. I always have a little something to work on while I'm skiing. Never gets boring

davec1, MarzNC, currawong and 5 others like this.
  3. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Social Media Mod Ski Pass: Gold

So much this.

4. Pete Holden

Pete Holden Early Days

Just an update Perisher agreed to change to the Blue Cow special and waived the fee as a gesture of goodwill.

5. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Pleased to hear that. I’ve had to make a few changes this season and found Perisher very accomodating, it’s easy to complain about the resort but it’s good also to give them credit when it’s due.
    Look forward to hearing how the discount lessons go.

6. cold wombat

In my experience Perisher are usually pretty good at earning good will when it counts.

Ted Harper, D-eye and southpaw like this.
  7. Pete Holden

Pete Holden Early Days

Happy to report that I've gone from a snow plougher at the start of the ski lessons to carving gentle sloping, wide areas like Pleasant Valley.

Parallel/carving (or at least I think I'm carving lol) kind of clicked on the afternoon of the second day.

Booked 4 lessons, but had to cancel the last one as I was heavily fatigued and didn't want to risk injury. I didn't ski at all on the last day of the 4 day ski trip. Was fully knackered. I did ski pretty much 8:30 to 4ish on days 1 to 3.

The instructors didn't teach parallels per se, but gave me drills and tools to get there. Particularly foot lifting exercises of the supporting leg really helped me go from pizza to french fries. From there I just picked up more speed on long hills and sort of worked out carving.

Still have a lot to learn obviously. Particularly on the afternoon of the last day, i was working on doing more parallels on narrower corridors.

The instructors right off the bat will take you from carpet to early starter to guthega to pleasant valley to roller coaster, etc after initially asking you what you did the prior day and showing them what you already can do. They will really push you and take you out of your comfort zone, which gives you confidence for the next day of lessons.

8. silva

silva One of Us

Sounds like it all worked out. Great news on your huge improvement. Its a shame you had to miss the last day - next time you know to make day 3 a half day.

9. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Sorry I just need to say people reading this, they should ignore this post. It’s bad advice. The best and quickest way for the vast majority of people to get better more quickly is to do lessons.

nezumi, Telemark Phat, Snowfi and 5 others like this.
  10. cold wombat

It has to be one of the worst pieces of advice I have seen posted to these forums. Ever.

11. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Good to hear it worked out so well. We had a couple of absolute beginners with us this trip and who after two days of lessons were thrilled with the progress they’ve made. It goes to show it’s possible to get reasonably competent on easy runs quite quickly as long as you invest a bit in lessons. Personally I like to get at least one or two lessons each season as find i regress between the end of one season and the start of the next.

12. Pete Holden

Pete Holden Early Days

I think 2 days on and 1 day off should work for me.

I've contemplated going back this weekend or sneaking in a weekend in September, but I've decided I'll save the money on Perisher lifts and accommodation for a Japanese trip next year instead.

I only have 4 days collective ski days so far. But at my age (I'm just about to turn 40), I think rest is essential.

My plan is to book a 2 week ski holiday to Rusutsu or Niseko in January. I know I'm only a beginner, but **** it, there's more to Japan than skiing if my knees don't cooperate.

2 weeks ski holiday is about 10 days of skiing and 4 days rest if I stick to my plan of 2 days on, 1 day off. In days, that's 2ski,1rest,2ski,1rest,2ski,1rest,2ski,1rest,2ski=14 days.

Hopefully I learn to ski POW at some point in my planned January trip. If I don't, that's ok. I'm patient and give myself 2 decades to learn it :).

My priority right now is to get stronger. I'll give myself from today til end of December to get fit. I really feel lucky I didn't get injured in Perisher given my bad knees and ankles.

Anyway, my "skiing life" plan at the moment is to ski a week in Perisher during the winter and a week or two in Japan during the summer for the next few years. And maybe US or Europe instead of Japan in some years, if finances permit. Hopefully, my body cooperates.

southpaw, Ted Harper and cold wombat like this.
  13. cold wombat

Hooked, good and proper!

:)

SnowRabbit and Marty_McSly like this.
  14. Skiing Gus

Skiing Gus Hard Yards

I reckon I got your cancellation! I had a good morning working on improving my turns in my first lesson in 6-7 years!

15. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

You might give the Bumps for Boomers fitness self-evaluation a try. Their series of videos about ski conditioning can be a good place to start.

https://www.bumpsforboomers.com/ski-fitness/self-test-fitness-screening/

How is your 1-leg balance?

16. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

I'm late to this thread.

What's the difference between a snowboarder and their instructor ?

:evil:

17. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future! Ski Pass: Gold

What time is it?