Blue Runs and Thredbo compared to Coronet Peak?

slotmachine

Hard Yards
Jun 27, 2007
Heading to Thredbo in a weeks time and needed some advice
What blue runs at Thredbo would be comparable to the ones at Coronet Peak.
Say, Greengates and the M1 for example?

Yardsale

Part of the Furniture
May 22, 2001
Melbourne
Concrete peak is about comparable to thredders in run steepness (I'd say that Buller is about the same grades as well).
I'd say that falls and perisher would (on average) be on the low side of it. Hot Ham is on the steeper side.

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
There is quite a range of what they call "blue" however. Some of the gentle slopes at Merrits are blue and High Noon is blue, yet the difference is quite dramatic.

Steeper blue runs at Thredders are comparable with anything blue at Hotham.

Start at Merrits and if you find things like "Ball Room" very comfortable them move across the mountain to other blue runs but expect them to be a little more testing. If you find Ball Room testing then expect to have to pick your way down some of the other blue runs - especially off Sponars T-bar and the steeper parts of High Noon or Dream Run.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Usually need grass skis, or iceskates, or mud wrestling outfit for Dream Run. Its the only blue run with a black diamond sign at the top. Athough this season they had a black sign for Eagle Way too.

Starting at Merritts is a great idea, I often warm up there first thing before the school arrives. True Blue is another steepish in sections blue.

slotmachine

Hard Yards
Jun 27, 2007
Awesome, thanks guys,

So looking at progression, after Merrits would you say off Antons T-Bar would be the next place to hit?

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
huckanddyno.wordpress.com
Nightmare Run, Ego Alley and around Karels are gnarly as they tend to have horrible snow conditions (poor cover on Dream Run, ice/windpack/rocks on the others)

High Noon and True Blue are steepish, used to be marked as black runs and are now probably double-blue square.

The rest including the Supertrail are about par, no surprises.

edit: I have actually skied at Coronet Peak.

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
huckanddyno.wordpress.com
slotmachine said:
Awesome, thanks guys,

So looking at progression, after Merrits would you say off Antons T-Bar would be the next place to hit?

I would say yes. After that on to Sponars and the Supertrail for the next challenges.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Good onya slottie. But don't leave it there. Tell us which runs you hit, in order if you can remember. which ones were good? Which were light blue, dark blue etc?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

slotmachine

Hard Yards
Jun 27, 2007
Ramshead said:
Good onya slottie. But don't leave it there. Tell us which runs you hit, in order if you can remember. which ones were good? Which were light blue, dark blue etc?

I reckon SBM was pretty close to the mark to be honest.

Merrits: Fun times but nothing too challenging. Light blue.

High-Noon: Didn't really think this was much different to Merrits. There is one steeper section in the middle just after the park but it's only short. Nice and long though, gets the legs burning. I'd say mid-upper-blue.

The Glades?: Into the trees by jumping off the track just after you get off the Gunbarrel? Probably the best runs of the trip in there on Friday. Plenty of fresh snow. Not steep but was tight in places. Mid blue.

Runs off Antons T: I really liked it in there. Nice wide bowl up top and very cruisey. Lots of windblown snow on Friday. Light-blue again.

Runs off Karels: Snow was really wind affected up there on Saturday which made things tricker. Wasn't really a fan. Mid-blue.

Supertrail/Worldcup (from eagles nest): It was loooong. Snow seemed to get chopped up pretty quick and ordinary at the bottom. Preferred high-noon to be honest. Mid-blue.

True Blue: Bit like high-noon in that there was one of two steeper bits but only short. Mid-upper-blue

Didn't ride Sponars and Dream Run was closed. A mate ended up in there by accident and said the top was steeper and narrower than high-noon so it would probably be upper-blue.

Bushranger?: Into the trees at the top of Snowgums. Looks like lots of people had got in there so the snow was choppy but another fun run in there with mates all taking different lines.

Next time I go back I think I'll be asking the same thing about the black runs. Anyone care to rank them now?

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Excellent rundown mate. Seems like you saw a fair bit of the hill. True Blue (formerly called Wood Run) and Hi Noon both were black runs way back in the day. though in fairness, lack of snowmaking and grooming probly contributed to this.\

Hardest black run at Thredbo? Prolly funnel web

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Depends which way you go. Was following a really good tele down Micheals Mistake, except it was the Tunnel, then chucked a left, a right, short sharp drop between a rock and a tree shoulder width gap, then a left and into Patrollers Nightmare, a big drop into Micheals Mistake. Thought I was going to die.

Id say you are right if you do it straight. The Bluff is pretty easy too, and Wiamea, is it black? Bushranger is an easy black if you arent fazed by trees, though there are some techy bumps towards the bottom.

Cannonball is a good black, when you can ride all the way. GCB has some pretty techy terrain.

Most of the really hard runs I have done arent marked. Id have to agree that FW is the blackest marked run, generally.

slotmachine

Hard Yards
Jun 27, 2007
telecrag said:
Bushranger is an easy black if you arent fazed by trees, though there are some techy bumps towards the bottom.

We ended up in there with some beginner mates by accident. They weren't exactly happy but they made it through OK.

telecrag said:
Id have to agree that FW is the blackest marked run, generally.

I saw where it is was the map but sort of hard to picture on the mountain. Is it off to the left as you go up the kosi 4 seater? Really narrow with huge looking bumps?

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
That would be it, but you can only see the easy bottom bit. It has a really cool narrow, and very steep section in the middle, sometimes the bumps are overhanging. I have seen grown men cry on it, probably intermediates that wanted to try the hardest run.

BigWaveDave

Hard Yards
Jun 7, 2010
Sunshine Coast
www.surfshots.com.au
Theres really not a lot of 'black' runs at Thredbo. I agree that Funnelweb is the longest 'difficult' marked run (as the snow is usually suspect and the bumps get big) but theres also short sections of offpiste areas which can be harder (but aren't necessarily marked runs). Hitting the dropoff and getting 2 or 3 seconds of air at Michaels Mistake when the lip is massive is pretty balls in the throat stuff and ranks right up there but as soon as you land, you're back into easy terrain again.

slotmachine

Hard Yards
Jun 27, 2007
telecrag said:
I have seen grown men cry on it, probably intermediates that wanted to try the hardest run.

There was some drunken discussion that our crew was going to try it. Sounds like we made a wise choice in bailing.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
slotmachine said:
telecrag said:
I have seen grown men cry on it, probably intermediates that wanted to try the hardest run.

There was some drunken discussion that our crew was going to try it. Sounds like we made a wise choice in bailing.

Yeah, once you're in you're in. No traversing out of that bugger. not a place for the intermideates or even lower advanced

wangster

A Local
Oct 24, 2008
Luckily Funnelweb is a little harder to find your way into. I've never seen a total beginner stuck in there, but it does turn intermediates to jelly

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass