Question Bluff Hut BC ski trips: Stashing Firewood?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Mister Tee on snow shoes, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Ski Pass - Silver

Hi
    The Bluff Hut in the VIC ALPS has a perpetual shortage of Firewood. In Winter it would be crap in that hut with no fire.
    What do experienced BC skiers do if they are basing themselves at the Bluff Hut or snow camping next to it for a spot of BC XC ski touring out to Lovick's Hut or across the Bluff Summit area?
    I thought of stashing some precut red wood and kindling somewhere up there near the hut in May or even early June , the firewood like what you buy at Petrol stations . One would have to wrap it up in 2 or 3 Rubbish bin liners to keep it dry .
    Can Team Bears be persuaded to go up there and cut up some dead trees just before the Gates are locked in June?
    Or perhaps the Hut has a decent bow saw and the dead trees just mysteriously become firewood for BC skiers ;-P ?
    .What does the panel say about this?

2. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

I imagine introducing foreign timber into a National Park is a neglectful act. Bring a saw and cut your own dead/fallen limbs. Go in summer and gather your own stockpile if you must, IMO.

3. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Ski Pass - Gold

Gas stove and sleeping bag if in nowhereville.
    Bring firewood if car camping somewhere popular.

Cam Walker, skifree and POW_hungry like this.
  4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

Removing dead timber from around huts destroys critter habitat. An equally neglectful act. One reason why huts are not necessarily a good thing.

5. POW_hungry

Ski Pass - Gold

*if you must
    Personally, I agree with @climberman ... gas stove it only.

Chaeron likes this.
  6. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Ski Pass - Silver

Imagine, hypothetically in a parallel world that one were to cut some dead limbs from near the Bluff Hut. Is there a decent saw at that hut?. I have not been up there since May 2016. The Bluff Hut is closed to 4 WD access between June and November. The walk in from the gate along the 4 WD track is about 6 kms uphill.
    The other option is a hardcore climb up the cliff face of the Bluff, an icy snow covered steep rock face ascent in crampons with a full pack and an ice axe.
    I am not keen on that option at all.

7. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

Or carry clothes appropriate for the conditions.

I did a lot of walking in the late 70s and 80s. At the beginning a blazing fire every night. At the end fuel stoves and no fires. It was the vibe at the time. Take only photos. Leave only footprints.

Tanuki, GS and zapruda like this.
  8. neilmny

neilmny Hard Yards

Bringing of your own firewood into the ANP is encouraged by PV and in a some Victorian NP cases the only option for having firewood. Bluff hut is not a stove only zone, far from it. When the roads are open it is chockers with anyone having a 4WD and the inclination to be there. Good luck to anyone trying to get that lot to feed themselves using a Trangia or sit around the Trangia telling stories of their 4WD prowess. :D

9. POW_hungry

Ski Pass - Gold

Brought in for ‘consumption’, yes. Brought in to store, probably for months, I bet any park ranger in Australia would discourage.

10. neilmny

neilmny Hard Yards

I understand your thinking but I don't think PV would care about dead wood. If dead wood was a problem they wouldn't prefer it in the first place. They might be concerned about the plastic bags or containers it was stored in being left behind. Bluff hut is a cattlemans hut which was historically surrounded by grazing cattle when grazing was still allowed in the ANP and is far from your typical national park pristine environment.

I'm assuming your from NSW POW_hungry and it's great to see that your Rangers actually get out and do something. It's a rarity to see a PV Ranger anywhere these days.

11. POW_hungry

Ski Pass - Gold

Yep, NSW and sure do agree with your remark there about NSW rangers.

As for wood being stored I am more thinking from the point of view of transporting in disease such as die back and introducing foreign insects etc. not so much the ‘dumping’ aspect of it.

neilmny and zapruda like this.
  12. sidetrack

sidetrack One of Us

With the amount of 4x4 traffic up there during summer there is very little dead wood left in trees let alone in the ground. Please don’t cut anything down as the place is trashed and has been for years. There is a great campsite at the bottom of the gully straight ahead of the track up the bluff and some really nice ones just before Mount Lovick. Also I’ve needed crampons a total of 2 times going up through the cliffs in maybe 50+ winter ascents. It rarely ices up due to aspect, it’s either fresh snow or very little snow once you get to the cliff bands.

#12 sidetrack, Apr 14, 2018 at 6:32 PM
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018 at 11:38 PM
  13. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

True, sad state of affairs.

Chaeron likes this.
  14. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

The most likely place to see a PV ‘ranger’ is behind a till in a gift shop in a ‘park’ on the urban perimeter-

I’m NOT dissing PV staff who do amazing things in the field with immensely limited resources and outrageously extensive responsibilities-

I DO have an issue with PV management and their Spring Street political overlords!

15. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Please forgive the tangent here:
    I think this issue aligns with the Mt Buffalo chalet reconstruct & lift reinstallation issues.

Ie. PV & DELWP top brass cater to a city-centric audience. They spend most time, energy and money on the parks close to Melbourne (day-visit locations) and decreasing amounts (at least on a per visitor/hectare basis) with increase distance from Melbourne.

Closer to topic:
    The Bluff/Lovic area deserves its popularity - summer and winter, but suffers greatly from this 'love'.

Unless things have changed a lot in the last five years, a major management change is required as vehicle / user damage exceeds maintenance and repair.

If PV were really serious about protecting the Bluff Hut/Lovic Hut area and approaches, they'd either close the track for a year or two while they significantly rehabilitate and where need be relocate in the most eroded sections.

Better still a pass system to limit vehicle nos. the open season, would help to keep the track in good condition. This would obviously need either a locked gate & or pin system and or regular PV patrols.

I don't see PV doing this anytime soon. I'd suggest they'd keep status quo as long as possible (keep piece with bushies and FWD clubs) until the track is so bad it has to be closed for years. (As above).

...same old.....!!

16. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

+1 @snowgum. I’d also love to see ParksVic gate the ‘popular’ parts of the High country and charge admission like Parks in NSW do - AND then use the proceeds to upgrade the tracks for the users and also increase alien vegetation and critter control. User pays.

Mod Alert: usual argument on national parks and access will now probably follow. Bear Pit argument vs. access reports forum issue as usual up ahead....

17. sidetrack

sidetrack One of Us

You just imagine the uproar from the 4WD clubs if they closed that road

Chaeron likes this.
  18. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Exactly, so Govt should maintain it - charge fees if need be!