Trip Report BofSki and Red Marmalade - NZ 2014

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Well, a really great start to this year's NZ trip - Virgin have managed to loose some of our luggage :tany:

Had booked Perth to Queenstown on Virgin, which due to their alliance with Air NZ is actually Virgin to Melbourne and Air NZ on to Queenstown. As they have an interline arrangement, luggage is "booked through".

Well got to Queenstown and ski bag arrives but no bag with all the rest of our clothes. Now if anything you would expect the normal luggage to arrive and the oversize not turn up - but no.

Air NZ admit to it having been left behind and tell us it's on the next flight due an hour or so later at about 3PM. Hang around, pretty knackered at this point having done the red eye from Perth, and guess what, it's not on that flight either. Supposedly it's coming tomorrow and they will send to our hotel in Wanaka :rolleyes:

Even more interesting is that the flight that it was supposed to be on, arriving at 3PM was from Melbourne via Brisbane, and left before our direct flight, so the whole story about coming on the next flight from Melbourne was BS.

I have enough gear to ski tomorrow except for my helmet, but RM is without Jacket, gloves and helmet - not to mention neither of us have a change of underwear :eek:

See how we feel, but tomorrow looks like a rest day LOL

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
I did the Virgin / Air NZ thing on an Air NZ ticket this month from Adelaide to Queenstown via Sydney. Went ok except for my skis missing the connection in Sydney on the way home, but they made the next flight and were still delivered that night.

Still should fine to ski though, helmet or not. Hasn't been any new snow since before I left a week ago, weather has been fine and sunny but they do have a reasonable base now.

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Morning, I think today will be right off. Nearly nine, should be up the hill by now and RM still fast asleep. Hopefully luggage turns up without out us needing to drive back to Queenstown.

Anyway, this is supposed to be a trip report, not an airline rant :)

While we've been to Queenstown a couple of times before, always driven in so yesterday was first time we had flown directly in. Blue bird day and spectacular views from the plane on the way in.

P1040979_zpseb85e230.jpg

P1040994_zpsf242138a.jpg

P1050005_zps852790bc.jpg

P1050010_zps19967215.jpg

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Ah the saga continues, case was supposed to be on this mornings flight, but wasn't :(
Queenstown now ringing Melbourne to see what's going on ...... doesn't look good.

Consoled our selves with a late breakfast (well nearly lunch) at RelishesCafe in town. Went to a local Op Shop and got enough get RM up the hill tomorrow for the princely sum of $25. Not happy if luggage is actually lost - RM's ski jacket was brand new :blb:

socold

A Local
Ski Pass
May 5, 2008
Port Stephens
at least you weren't at TC yesterday, got there at 9:15, paid for ticket, up the main basin and traversed to the saddle basin, halfway up the lift and it stops for a while then proceeds slowly, get to the top and get told to go back to the main basin, where only two runs are open due to races waited around in bar till 12 when we where told the lift wouldn't be operating again for the rest of the day

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
we where told the lift wouldn't be operating again for the rest of the day
Not good Scold, and presumably because main basin lift was still running there is no come back. Was toying with half a day this PM but can't be bothered!

Draizuh

One of Us
Jul 29, 2012
Wakatipu
www.splitboardnz.com
Morning, I think today will be right off. Nearly nine, should be up the hill by now and RM still fast asleep. Hopefully luggage turns up without out us needing to drive back to Queenstown.

Anyway, this is supposed to be a trip report, not an airline rant :)

While we've been to Queenstown a couple of times before, always driven in so yesterday was first time we had flown directly in. Blue bird day and spectacular views from the plane on the way in.

P1040979_zpseb85e230.jpg
If you look very closely you will probably see my hauling my ass up the spur over the top, right hand side of this image. This is Crown peak and i was splitboarding up there yesterday :)

mauricem

Addicted
Jun 27, 2010
Sunshine Coast
at least you weren't at TC yesterday, got there at 9:15, paid for ticket, up the main basin and traversed to the saddle basin, halfway up the lift and it stops for a while then proceeds slowly, get to the top and get told to go back to the main basin, where only two runs are open due to races waited around in bar till 12 when we where told the lift wouldn't be operating again for the rest of the day

Their was a fault with the saddle basin lift, bad timing considering how much of main basin was closed off. I'd ask for at least a 50% credit on next day lift pass. Hit them up on FB if they don't respond!

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Yey! We got our luggage :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Seems it's been to Brisbane :rolleyes:

Also evidence of at least 3 other tags that have been attached and removed - quite an adventure.........

Next time I'm travelling with the luggage :D

Reactions: socold

socold

A Local
Ski Pass
May 5, 2008
Port Stephens
have fun bofski, unfortunately Im getting back on the plane tomorrow and unsure what next years plans are so there is not much point kicking up a stink about the TC ticket.

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Just back down the mountain after a second blue bird day at Cardrona. Monday was just getting the ski legs back, so there from first lifts until about 2. Same again today really.

Snow and coverage is good, I think helped by the clear cold nights. Was getting a bit soft down at the bottom of Valley View by afternoon, but judging by the surrounding cover, most of the trail is man made anyway. Do probably need another good dump in the next few days.

Avoided posting yet another shot of Cardrona yesterday. Having tried a few of the cheaper alternatives, I finally succumbed and bought a GoPro. Must admit it is by far better.

Still struggling - yesterday it appeared to have turned it's self on and the battery was flat :headbang:
Today I discovered that the little netbook I travel with doesn't appear to have the grunt to play back at the resolution and frame rate I recorded at :headbang::headbang:
Attempts to get round it by uploading them to YouTube have hit a problem - can't seem to get upload to work :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Some videos may or may not appear in this post :D

Reactions: Majikthise

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Video processing is turning out to be slow and painful. Eventually managed to get one uploaded to YouTube.

Cardrona, run down Gold Rush and Sluice Box to the bottom of White Star:

(Will view in 1080HD if you have the bandwidth.)

Managed 2 days at Cardrona, RM had a rest day yesterday and I went to Treble Cone. Back to Cardrona today. Must be off.

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
One thing I'm always noticing on the ski fields is the never ending Kiwi ingenuity when it comes to constructing roof racks (refer back to last year's thread!).

Here's this year's entry -

P1050047_zps6f88fe38.jpg

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
DAM BLAST - looks like this year's ski trip is over. Just had an excellent day of Heli with HMH, then on the last run our guide took us across a pretty icy chute. The object was simply to traverse it, but I lost an edge and tumbled 80 metres down the chute before I managed to swing my feet down hill and dig the heels in to stop me.

Once I got composed, it was obvious my right knee was sore. Not quite sure what had happened. Could stand up with out problems, so put skis back on. Managed one turn without problems, but on the next turn knee sort of spasmed, so I basically fell over on my hip rather than load the knee again.

Anyway, was able to walk to the pick-up point and HMH took me to the Wanaka Medical Centre. Good news is that I have only a grade 1 MCL strain (No ACL problems thank goodness). Bad news is 2 weeks off skiing to recover :(

Of course a phone call to RM from HMH saying what had happened was not the news she wanted. Somehow she has still managed to cook some excellent NZ waygu beef with baked potatoes, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, and snow peas. :yum:

I'm feeling better already:woohoo:

Reactions: ODNT

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Oh well, as they say sh1t happens. Have a fair bit of video to upload, but will take some time - something I have plenty of now :mad:

Last edited:

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
DAM BLAST - looks like this year's ski trip is over. Just had an excellent day of Heli with HMH, then on the last run our guide took us across a pretty icy chute. The object was simply to traverse it, but I lost an edge and tumbled 80 metres down the chute before I managed to swing my feet down hill and dig the heels in to stop me.

Bugger. Do you recall where abouts that was? Tony's chutes in the Buchanans? I know lower elevations were a bit sketchy from the rain a few weeks ago.

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Sorry Heinz, my geography of the area is non-existant. We had been skiing the North Buchanans, and this was the last run, heading back and quite close to the staging area.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Sorry Heinz, my geography of the area is non-existant. We had been skiing the North Buchanans, and this was the last run, heading back and quite close to the staging area.

Ah then I suspect you may have been on Moliefes Relief looking down to the Matuki valley? They often use that as a last run on a North Buchanans circuit.

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Well, the knee has stiffened up today, probably a couple of days for the swelling to go down. Finally got some more video processed.

An older one from TC a few days ago - Down Bullet and then Pete's Treat onto the Saddle Basin Quad

On to yesterday's Heli - Not a lot of room on this ridge - mind your step!

Amazing snow conditions given it was well over a week since the last fall -

mauricem

Addicted
Jun 27, 2010
Sunshine Coast
sorry, cant see videos, they're marked "private"

glad youre ok after your slide, was it safe runout area if you kept going? Their risk assessment seems suspect if not!

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Oops, Sorry - set as public, but then should have scrolled down and clicked publish, which I hadn't :doh:
Should be OK now.

Chute ran out onto a large snow field, so there was no risk of crashing into rocks or off a cliff. Still a pretty wild ride down the first bit. In some respects lucky to get away with a strained knee.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Ah so you heli day was with Hugh. Have had many great days with him in various parts of the world, though not the last couple of years in NZ as he has been busy on charters. Hope to rectify that next year.

Done quite a few landings like that over the years, welcome to NZ Heliskiing.

Hard to pick exactly where that was (not where I first thought though - probably further north). He has done very well to get you that snow given the conditions - lack of recent snow and amount of wind that week.

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Yes, had a great day with Hugh. He was also very helpful, took me personally to Medical Centre, contacted my wife, and took my gear back to Motel. HMH then rang next morning to see how I was. Of course I'd rather it hadn't happened, but their response was excellent.

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Knee is on the mend. Saturday and Sunday I was literally only able to hobble around the Motel room. Today I can get around with a pretty bad limp!

May as well take advantage of the forced relaxation. Went down to the Edgewater resort, had a very long lunch with RM and soaked in the views.

P1050102_zpsf8d8bcba.jpg

P1050097_zpsa16aa201.jpg

P1050093_zps532764b2.jpg

P1050088_zpse9334df7.jpg

P1050084_zpsb56a7681.jpg

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Of course we are now faced with the problem of finding things to do on a skiing holiday when you can't ski - although the high over the South Island has meant perfect spring days.

Tomorrow I have to face the ignominy of taking RM up Cardrona and sitting the session out - nothing short of husband abuse ;)

Yesterday we took a lazy drive from Wanaka to Queenstown. Stopped and looked at the Transport and Toy Museum next to Wanaka airport. Must admit would normally drive past it. While it's not exactly a top class museum, was really surprised at the eclectic collection of "stuff" they have there. Cars, boats, planes, trucks, collections of all sorts of collectables - Star Wars, Barbie, Smurfs, Star Trek, Thunderbirds, you name it! OK not at the professional end of presentation, but the sort of place you can spend hours exploring with a new surprise round every corner.

RM "poses" on a shag-pile Morris Minor :confused:

P1050112_zpsd289557f.jpg

Perfect answer to my dicky knee

P1050115_zps0325ce3a.jpg

This is a Borgward "Isabella", never heard of the make, let alone the model

P1050118_zps6d0794a7.jpg

Inside a Fokker Friendship they also have - brought back memories of a trip from Birmingham to Brussels spent with my knees up round my head :eek:

P1050122_zps6187d808.jpg

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
After that we stopped in Cromwell for lunch. About half way between Wanaka and Queenstown (lower route, not over Crown Ranges).

There is an old part of the town from the Gold Rush days that has been re-build / rescued from the flooding that happened when Lake Dunstan was created. Enjoyed an excellent Pizza in the Italian restaurant there.

P1050129_zps9ed96f15.jpg

P1050130_zps53ef0473.jpg

P1050135_zpscdfc0d1f.jpg

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
No, didn't know it existed. In fact didn't even know what it was until I googled it :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Blessed by continuing good weather we continue to search out non-skiing activities. Thought a trip on Lake Wakatipu would be ideal, so booked a 90 minute trip, which at $35 each seemed incredibly good value for the "Million Dollar Cruise" LOL

Anyway it seems that serendipity does exist - despite being 10 minutes early and sitting on the bench in front of their kiosk, the operators somehow managed to load the rest of the customers onto an alternative boat and leave us behind :eek:

Anyway, got our money back and wandered off down the wharf where we found the 102 year old steamer "Ernslaw". As it was nearing lunch time we booked a trip to Walter Peak Station which included a BBQ Lunch - pretty much expecting a snagger and bun on board.

What it actually was was a 30 minute trip down the lake to the sheep station, where we were ushered off and had an excellent buffet lunch in the main homestead while the Ernslaw left for the trip back to Queenstown. After lunch we had a brief tour of the station buildings, a sheep dog demonstration and shearing demonstration, before boarding the Ernslaw on its next trip for the return journey.

Left us thinking that missing the first boat was the best thing that had happened all day LOL

P1050156_zpsd8695bd9.jpg

P1050177_zps1619dc13.jpg

P1050182_zpsca62ad09.jpg

P1050186_zps923ea1ec.jpg

P1050212_zpsbfb165db.jpg

P1050228_zps9764f496.jpg

P1050239_zps97ca8840.jpg

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
What sort of pitch ie angle would you say the initial drop in was?
Hard to say, first few metres were near as dam it vertical. On one ridge we had to dig away the overhanging cornice just to be able to drop down. That said it very quickly ran out onto something more reasonable - not sure on angles, probably no worse than the average black.

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Departure lounge Queenstown airport. Not the most successful of trips :(
Still got to see more of NZ than we normally do, so still had a good holiday :thumbs:

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass