Trip Report Bogong Creek, NSW

teletimmo

Addicted
Jul 16, 2008
I usually aim to ski the Crags at this time of year, but given the marginal conditions, my mate and I opted for two days of Thredbo-accessed backcountry.

Our intention was to ski Twin Valleys, however given that Thredbo doesn't offer a one-way Merrit's Gondola pass, we opted for Bogong Creek instead.

I was pleasantly surprised at the easy access and the good snow depth considering that Thredbo was barely operational! Day 1 wasn't great visibility-wise, but the weather opened up nicely for day two, making for a great end to my season.

Attachments

• DSC06205.JPG
    DSC06205.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC06229.JPG
    DSC06229.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC06247.JPG
    DSC06247.JPG
    986.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC06250.JPG
    DSC06250.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC06251.JPG
    DSC06251.JPG
    908.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC06293.JPG
    DSC06293.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC06294.JPG
    DSC06294.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC06344.JPG
    DSC06344.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC06370.JPG
    DSC06370.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 2

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Good choice, looks like you scored well for what's on offer at moment. Bogong crk/ultraworld is a poachers delight.
I reckon TW from Eagles Nest is probably easier/better option than Merritt's. You only have to skin a quiet Conrod straight up to the Sponars top station and then its a slight downhill to the top of Merritt's crk basin. As opposed to skinning up thru a busier morning Merritt's area. TW from CP is same same as doing Bogong crk from Kosi chair.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Yeah, I normally go from Sponars for TV, Cruiser for Vortex. Often boot up and do Ultraworld/Bogong as a DHG lap variation, just have to cross and boot up the main line. Sometimes a bit of a laugh, as a mate is on his lunch break, and we have to really hoof it to get him back in time.

Thanks for the pics tt!

Reactions: Townsend

teletimmo

Addicted
Jul 16, 2008
Good choice, looks like you scored well for what's on offer at moment. Bogong crk/ultraworld is a poachers delight.
I reckon TW from Eagles Nest is probably easier/better option than Merritt's. You only have to skin a quiet Conrod straight up to the Sponars top station and then its a slight downhill to the top of Merritt's crk basin. As opposed to skinning up thru a busier morning Merritt's area. TW from CP is same same as doing Bogong crk from Kosi chair.

I assumed the gondola went to the top of the mountain, but you're right having looked at the map.

I'm a little surprised that Bogong Creek wasn't included in Thredbo's lease as it would be so bloody easy to run a T-bar there!

I find it frustrating that it's not easy to use CP for winter BC access due to lack of overnight parking at Perisher. The cost and time of both skitube/oversnow make that option less appealing.

Reactions: Myazma

teletimmo

Addicted
Jul 16, 2008
Yeah, I normally go from Sponars for TV, Cruiser for Vortex. Often boot up and do Ultraworld/Bogong as a DHG lap variation, just have to cross and boot up the main line. Sometimes a bit of a laugh, as a mate is on his lunch break, and we have to really hoof it to get him back in time.

Thanks for the pics tt!
No worries

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass