1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Bogong & Feathertop Access /Track reports etc.

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ubiquitous Steve, Jul 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I rode that route a few weeks back (called Camp Ck Rd IIRC) . It's rougher than I've ever seen it but still passable when dry.

2. Ziggy

Parksvic has had huge budget cuts while maintenance and protection needs continue to rise. The State government commitment to parks and reserves is poor. The funding 'model' is hopeless.

This is an election year - a chance to send a message.

3. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Spot on Zig. Managing a very small budget means you have to be astute and the government is only handing out pennies to the local offices. We sit on the outside and point fingers saying our particular need is not being met but then of course that is easy when you do not have to full picture and our needs are always more important.
    I actual fact I think the parks belong to the people (strange concept) so we should get involved in looking after our assest. ParksVic are the managers to make sure what we do is in the interest of all and not just our own private agenda. When you realise how poor they are compared to DELWP and how much they actually have to deal with (with a small staff) then tracks like the Grey Hills will have slide for a while. It is a favourite of mine but it is not as frequently used as other tracks in the area. It is not impassable and we did not find it difficult to navigate. I know Megan, she is new there but she is spot on. Each summer the local office will get a fire crew whose job is to ensure essential tracks are clear for fire control purposes. The Grey Hills does not fit that category. A small part of PV's job is providing for our entertainment but as I have said, if you have a concern such as the Grey Hills then muster your volunteers and put forward a proposal. PV will in fact provide assistance if they can. I am currently involved with 3 volunteer projects with the park and one is from a proposal I wrote less than a month ago which is already off the ground.
    I know someone who came down the Long Spur last week (walking) and was going to give him a call anyway. Should be along it some time in the next week or so. I know Big River Log road has been cleared.

4. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Sign me up - did the Grey Hills last year this time. However, it’s an open question how much traffic this gets - there are probably other routes in the area with greater visitation which deserve priority.

5. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

The Grey Hills is an awesome route & very under rated, it should be an iconic wander.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  6. Ziggy

#656 Ziggy, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  7. Xplora

We have done this online and it is really simple. There is a volunteer hub so you can see what projects are currently being run and once you have your details uploaded then there is no need to fill in a form every time you want to help out. Isolated and small jobs can still be arranged via the local office. It makes it easier for us anyway given we are involved in a number of things. I used to fill out the forms every time.

For Steve's info and others. The Long spur vehicle track is clear but the upper section will rub the car a bit. Once on the single track you will find the track easy to follow with no (or very few rubs) from the scrub up to Mulhauser track junction.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  8. Xplora

Absolutely my thoughts. Looking over on Grey Hills Knob to the start of Big River is awesome. It is a bushwalker's walk and can't wait to do it again. It does not bother me that it has overgrown a bit. I prefer it not to be a super highway of people and can appreciate the challenge. It is dry though so you need to be prepared.

9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

The Grey hills are very scenic but there should be a solar powered water cooler at the top of Mt. Arthur ;-P .

10. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Total Fireban declared two days early .(unusual event)...for Saturday pretty predictable really.
    Donot get fried!Donot be on those dry ridges and Spurs after midday.
    Be somewhere safe....be aware where a safe area may be.....

Don't be in Grey Hills,or on Staircase etc....it's dry fires will run fast.....

11. skifree

Did you not find the chap with a wheel barrow full of ice & pepsi midway along The Grey Hills? You musta gone the wrong way.;)

12. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears will see if Xplora can use his contacts with Parks Vic to install a minibar kinda solar powered fridge at the helipad.So Mr T can make a rapid recovery in case he undertakes Grey Hills again......we undertake to see if Pepsi market a magnesium rich product for the delerious walker.But you will have to register with Parks Vic to have access to this machine ..

skifree likes this.
  13. Xplora

He must have been there on my weekend off.

skifree likes this.
  14. skifree

15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I don't like fizzy sugary drinks. I may have made an allowance for an ice cold bottle of 'Gatorade' on that occasion but the vendor that you describe was indeed missing, possibly disorientated in the thick scrub .

skifree likes this.
  16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I should be driving up from Mtn. creek through Trapper's gap to Granite Flat spur via the Hollow way later next week, as long as there isn't a fire warning.

17. Ubiquitous Steve

Lots of pics please....and track report of Granite Flat Barrrier to 4x4end.please....We want to know if it is drivable in 4x4 to the end.When are you getting your chainsaw too?whats happened to finance.??

18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Sorry , but my Money tree has wilted after buying boots, bindings and skis. The Chainsaw (and related gear )are next on the lay buy scheme, then the roof rack, wheel chains etc. So Much for funding the editing , mixing and pressing of copies of my new music album. That will be still in the can, unmixed etc. by winter 2018.
    I will report back about all BC summer routes I investigate.

19. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

I'd move the chains up the priority list Mr Tee. Having your own chains saves a lot of stuffing about at shops on the way now you have the ski gear.

20. Mister Tee on XC Skis

OK, Consider the roof rack for the skis last on the list now.

skifree likes this.
  21. Ubiquitous Steve

Just back from West Kiewa having trendy coffee and jam donut in upmarket bakery....

Was a hot weekend....Team Bears got the camp at the twin fords sorted.....fireplaces much safer...debri cut and raked away....grass has any go over with wipper snipper.

Now first Ford in to Campsite is A Ok but second has got worse....the approach to the second commming upstream has lots of boulders...like big ones randomly located on what used to be the track....the litttle creek runs off the West Kiewa to just at the Ford...

This Ford needs attention...I saw a party of 4x4 with trailers all turn around here and I directed them over High Route(vehicle route)Unless you got enormous clearance then donot attempt this second Ford .It needs boulders moved and stones relocated so folk can negotiate it with any confidence.

22. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

A great spot that one Steve. Made even better by your hard work :thumbs:

23. Ubiquitous Steve

It's a really nice Campsite...but watch the brush tail possums they got my blood plums and some of my orange juice and nibbled the 2min noodle polystyrene cup!!Dont leave anything out at night.We suggest that folk only attempt the first Ford .Its shady there in extreme conditions...which I think was like Saturday !

Those brush tails look cute...Big brown eyes and rubber red noses but don't get taken in by their devious behaviour.

I was going to spray some blackberries too but my 5litre hand unit stuffed up!

24. Ubiquitous Steve

The approach to the second Ford is stuffed till the DSE decide to intervene with some machinery.....or some super strong folk turn up with crow bars!!

25. Ubiquitous Steve

Mr T you can get in there via West Kiewa Logging Rd from Big Hill without fording the river.Just park on the far bank....the first Ford into Twin Fords Campsite is not to bad.And by using the vehicle route(upper track)you avoid the twin fords and later just cross West K.at big concrete bridge..then Diamintina on the little concrete bridge which is just before Diamintina Horsey Yards.The walk between the twin fords is only five mins...approx one kilometre.I think the brushy tail possums are related to those of Wilsons Prom....they just like good food!

26. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears are planning trip back to Mulhauser Camp to clean up the Walking Track above and possibly attending to debri on Longspur out towards Bossiea Hill.We should get up there around lunch time Saturday..Total Fire Bans seem unlikely....weather conditions seem moderate too...

This is our first track sorte for awhile as we have been flat out with campsites and picnic tables..
    But we have recently been to our twenty seven installations .... and have done work around each.

But now we are on top of the work load so some track work can get organised.

We wish the NSW guys well in their endeavours to bring attention to the degraded Hannels Spur.
    KNP needs to rethink the Wilderness Classification the prohibits work on this track.... it's just to far for us to drive to help out.

A well cut track will keep folk well and truly to a narrow strip of this so called Wilderness ....so it probable less disruption will result from a well maintained corridor .

But too much politics here for Team Bears....the National Parks need to deal with this issue.....
    Locking up Hannels Spur is not bright management.Volunteer resources are on hand for the job.

27. Ubiquitous Steve

The stupid state govt and Melb Council just wasted many dollars on bloody fireworks!!

This stupidity has to end........some of those funds should have been directed to Parks Vic....
    bloody mockery all right ...Garden friggin State ....but won't provide adequate funding for necessary programs and works .If only dogs could vote we would see an end to this vast waste.....

And what's this we are reading of the Melb City Council booze bill of $100,000 for the year???

And Boozy Tuesday??wtf??

#677 Ubiquitous Steve, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    neilmny likes this.
  28. Ziggy

You can help by eg. joining the VNPA. They're probably the biggest parks lobby group and over the years have achieved some great things. https://vnpa.org.au/

The govt won't do more until there's a rocket under them.

29. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The VNPA have been pushing for better funding just to maintain and manage what PV have under their noses rather than pissing money up against a wall on crazy plans such as the FHAC, turning the Diamantina Spur into a wheelchair friendly version of Club Med. crossed with Lego Land.

#679 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  30. Mister Tee on XC Skis

One of the problems the VNPA faces is that most people, have no idea where somewhere outstanding such as Mt. Bogong is located nor have they even heard of it. My g/f had never heard of Thredbo or Jindabyne until she met me. When I got back from skiing at Charlotte Pass in the KNP in October , she asked me how was Sydney? ( i.e NSW=Sydney).Perhaps a few people go car camping at Tidal River or Lake Catani but not enough slog it up the Bon Accord spur or XC Ski out to Pole 333 to make a ground swell of difference in terms of ensuring National Parks in VIC. are adequately funded , so that they can even be maintained and managed on a rudimentary level let alone improved and expanded.

#680 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  31. Ubiquitous Steve

Perhaps Parks need to put in free Wi Fi on some Huts!

32. Xplora

Apart from your comment being slightly offensive (I hope your girlfriend does not mind being called a fat city slicker) and stereotyping of city people (which you are one of) I don't think you are quite on the mark with your assumption. National Parks have the ability to suck up money because of their size but there are many parks or parts of parks which are well attended. Sure they may not go much further than a short walk from the car but I have seen thousands in one day around the Grampians and over 15000 each year will visit Wallaces hut. At present the focus is on improving the visitor experience at what they call tourist nodes. We all know there is a need for work outside these areas but put into perspective, that could take a huge chunck of funding for the benefit of a much smaller cross section of people. Most people and governments are city-centric because that is where most people live, work and play. My father and many others I know in NSW think I live in Melbourne. When the fires were raging in the Grampians he rang to ask how we were doing with the fires and I told him I could drive to him quicker than the fires. The fact is most people have a basic lack of geographical knowledge about their own country unless they have toured it. Improving the visitor experience at some places may encourage them to visit and then explore a bit more. Personally I am happy not to be dealing with hoards of people when I walk and I don't mind things a little rougher. Tourist season on BHP annoys me. Every time I drive to Falls or Mt. Beauty there is some idiot stopped in the middle of the road taking photos of flowers, or bike riders and runners taking up the entire road who think they are the only people on earth and still more who have no idea how to drive or ride a bend.

Lobbying for more money in general to go to PV may not be the way forward. It would be better to lobby for specific projects as then the money would have to be directed to that need and not thrown into frivolous causes at the whim of some other Parks executive. We all see the needs differently and much is based on our own small perspective but if you can convince them many others have the same idea then you could win. That is where organisations such as VNPA have some clout but they are still very small in the grand scheme.

Chaeron and neilmny like this.
  33. Ubiquitous Steve

But it's a pity that the "Grand Scheme"is more of a dream than a well thought out group of management policies put down by Parks Vic.

Perhaps when the Parks Executive come on a tour of the West Kiewa again .....Team Bears are requesting they come on a dozer thro the difficult Ford.....perhaps in a little wagon drawn by the D4!

#683 Ubiquitous Steve, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  34. Ubiquitous Steve

Then It will be a win win for all!

We can see a busted sump comming soon unless action gets taken....expensive for a D4 and operator but not as expensive as a major oil leek into the West Kiewa...we think cost is less than tea and biscuits provided for all the FHAW Draft meetings??

35. Mister Tee on XC Skis

. I retract my ill considered remarks about corpulent city folk and apologize to urban denizens of all shapes and sizes, but our National Parks need broader investment to preserve the native flora and fauna for generations to come.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  36. Ubiquitous Steve

But the "fat" cats of head office need to get out more often and speak to bush people and campers etc and to spend more time assisting district staff!

37. Xplora

Apology accepted. We just got back from Bogong with our 20kg heavier than she would like good friend from the city. She has also done the Crosscut and Grey Hills with us. Two children, a stressful job and some medical issues has had her struggle over the years with weight but she still likes to go bushwalking and it is a lot harder for her to do than us. Just imagine carrying a 20kg pack around all the time and then put another pack on and walk up a mountain. Put 35 or 40kg on me and I would not get up the first hill.

38. Ubiquitous Steve

Get up on to Long Spur with the wipper snipper and she will shed weight by the hour !But well done we say!

39. Ubiquitous Steve

Mitta Mitta is busy as!Pie and coffee...on way up to Camp Mulhe shortly

40. Ubiquitous Steve

Mulhauser Walking Track to Long Spur now clear!Couple of hours of work only.Mild to cool up here but no rain yet.that was only big one all other trees were small

41. Ubiquitous Steve

Looking out towards Bossiea Hill end of Long Spur.....

42. Xplora

Did the Long spur but just with a pack. It was hard going in places. I say well done to her also and it is a lesson to us not to be so judgmental with appearance. Whipper snippers not of much use on the Long Spur. Petrol brush cutter is the go.

art likes this.
  43. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Met ParksVic team in West Kiewa on Friday - they’ve been clearing the track between Dibbins and the bottom of Machinery Spur. Of necessity they’re focusing on the higher usage areas.

The fords on the lower stock track were manageable, but anyone worried about clearance would be well-advised to take the higher route.

Westons hut is in great shape, going by the logbook it’s intensively used in the summer months but very seldom visited in the snow. I’m tempted to do a 2018 circuit between Pretty Valley, Tawonga huts, Westons, Cope & Langfords.

The track between Blairs hut & Westons is in good nick as is the descent along the AAWT to Cobungra Gap.

44. Ubiquitous Steve

Weather turned a bit savage after I got back down on sat night,,...pretty wild in Camp Mulhe.......but Sunday cleared up and I brush cut back up the Walking Track to the rd sign that indicates the traverse to the right is reached.In comming weekends Team Bears will return and take a chainsaw walk out towards Bossiea Hill and over Mt Mulhauser till the Longspur 4x4 track is reached the other way.A little bit of wipper snipping was also done in the camp too.Team Leader got a bit hypothermic after rain but survived ok.

45. Xplora

No need to do this section. It is clear. Unless you just want to have a look.

46. Ubiquitous Steve

Longspur had some fallen heads when I looked two weekends ago..most stuff is easily walked around however.I saw no major trees blocking the track.

47. Ubiquitous Steve

Most debri was pretty small and easy to remove....big one was fun....but the chain was sharp and Team Bears were fresh....Good that it was dry as we did this.....shortly after it got cold wet and miserable ...Camp Mulhe is either still and pleasant or a place you just don't want to be when it blows and rains.

48. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The Quartz Ridge and Granite Flat spur tracks have been recently cleared by PV.A friend and I walked them both ways(up, over, down and back the next day) over the week end.Now I am knackered ! ;-p .

#698 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Chaeron likes this.
  49. Mister Tee on XC Skis

AWD access from Mtn . Ck. campsite to Mitta Mitta via Trapper's Gap road was clear on Sat. morning (13/01/18). We visited Tom's hut on the way.The Rodda creek track to the old hut is ' interesting ' to drive on since the heavy rain fell on Friday night (12/01/18).
    The Hollow way Rd. was clear of major fallen timber going up to Granite Flat Spur track gate and back, coming in from the Omeo road.(13, 14/01/18).Next time I drive on such back roads I should have a chainsaw. Otherwise who are you going to call if a tree should fall ? Ghost busters?

#699 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  50. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Tom's hut in the Trapper's Gap road/ Mitta Mitta area.

MarkV and neilmny like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.