1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Bogong & Feathertop Access /Track reports etc.

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ubiquitous Steve, Jul 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Out on the Hollow way heading for the Big Fella for some strenuous green season trekking.That is the silver TEE Mobile with the small bull bar.

Chaeron and neilmny like this.
  4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mr. Tee on top of the Big Fella. 13.1.18.

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Day 2 . Ascending the Quartz ridge in clearer conditions. The wild flowers were extraordinary!

neilmny likes this.
  6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Coming up from the Old Helipad along the Quartz Ridge on 14.1.18 onto the summit ridge of Mt . Bogong. The wind above the treeline was icy and fierce. The wild flowers were profuse and I could not feel my face at all.It had gone numb from being hammered by the wind . One could not loiter up there. It looks benign in the photos but it was bleeding murder hiking up hill in that wind.

#706 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    neilmny likes this.
  7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Grand views on a clear day looking out towards Mt. Buffalo from the ascent on the Quartz Ridge. 14/1/18.

neilmny likes this.
  8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ancient snow Gums on the Quartz Ridge.14.1.18

neilmny likes this.
  9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Steep rocky slopes of Mt. Bogong as seen from the Quartz Ridge.13.1.18

neilmny likes this.
  10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Descending the Eskdale spur and heading for the Granite Flat spur seasonal closure gate. We parked our cars there. The last bit of the track was 4 WD only.

11. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

This Toms Hut I have not seen before.....is it close to the little river valley you pass with the bridge over the small creek on Trappers RdI have seen 4x4 down there but have never gone out to the east down there!!

12. Ubiquitous Steve

Would you recommend Granite Flat Spur over Eskdale as a winter approach now you have seen it....a couple of dudes have come off Via Eskdale to Michelle Hut then over link Track back to Granite Flat Spur and deccended to Barrier.

13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

RE:The 4 x 4 Track approach to the intentions book at Granite Flat spur( see the photo). The track is navigable for high clearance full time 4 x 4 traffic during the green season. Bits of it are very steep and bottoming out and ruining the underside of your car are likely results if you take a vehicle that is not a Beefy Toyota Hilux or a Chunky Nissan Patrol. If it is wet or icy then it could end in tears if you take an SUV and try to test your sphincter tightening driving skills.
    :p
    It is simple to walk up to the intentions book at Granite flat spur from the seasonal closure gate. It gets the heart pumping after all that driving to get there. RE: finding Tom's Hut: Get the Rooftops Map of Bright to Lake Dartmouth. I was using that and I never took a wrong turn. That road to Tom's hut was 'marginal ' for an AWD SUV.
    I would say Granite flat spur is the best way up to Michelle hut and /or the Mt. Bogong summit as far as I have determined.
    I have yet to check out Mulhauser spur/ Long Spur but it is in my large in tray of trips to do .
    The T spur is just torture to ascend.
    The Staircase in deep soft snow is just nuts and possibly treacherous as we discovered in September 2017.
    The Eskdale spur is very steep and in deep snow with the dreaded drain after the small creek crossing , it is effing bleeding tough.
    I did remark that the Granite Flat spur would still be a nutcracker /ovary crusher ;-P in snow shoes, ski boots or microspikes.
    The upper section of the Quartz Ridge in white season even with ropes, ice axes and crampons potentially could end in a funeral and a coroner's report( death by misadventure= read :triple black run suicide mission ).

Attached Files:

prcoy likes this.
  14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

One could drive up to the Eskdale trail head from Mtn. Creek in white season, park at Camp Creek Gap and walk the closed 4 x 4 road around to the Granite Flat spur ( GFS) trail head. It could not be worse than the Eskdale spur in deep snow.The section of the GFS road in this photo looks simple to drive on but the steep up and down bits were well beyond what a Subaru or RAV 4 could do without risking damage to the vehicle.Yes I have driven up Stoney Tops track this summer to the gate but bits of this track are rougher and steeper than that track is.

15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Weather that threatened us with rain , wind and fog subsequently delivered the wild and cold conditions on 13.1.18.

16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The R. Man on the return leg , ascending the Quartz Ridge on day two , 14.1.18.Like me, the R. man is a happier camper going up hill rather than down hill with a heavy pack.

17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Eskdale spur views 14.1.18.

18. Ubiquitous Steve

There is a little debri on the 4x4 Mulhauser Track from /Snowy Log Rd..... a little of which will get removed on subsequent trips by Team Bears....we tend to take a few things out with each approach....eventually no tight spots will be left...But it's quite negotiable at the moment.Dry weekends you will get two wheel drive into the camp over summer.
    r

19. Mister Tee on XC Skis

A weekend in March may permit me the time to do the Mulhauser spur mission.

20. Ubiquitous Steve

You get Neo up there and he can run around as your Sherpa .......after his training on Hannels ....this stuff is like Mickey Mouse Country..
    ....you get him to run ahead and have morning tea...(coffee ,scones with jam ready at Cleve Cole) for your arrival!

He will think he is in Melb Botanic Gardens up there compared to the Western approach from Geehi to Moiras Camp.You will just have to get him back from NSW....

21. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I have offered the Hannel's spur crusader a meal and two cold drinks if he cuts and tags the Hannel's spur route.Having gone up, over and down Mt. Bogong on 13.1.18 with a full pack and guitar and returned the same way on 14.1.18 I can say that I have ascended and descended the Big Fella twice in one weekend. No wonder I have been sleeping so well this week!.

weerab and Ubiquitous Steve like this.
  22. Ubiquitous Steve

Bears up and about in Mitta Mitta....very hot up here.....Wodonga going for 40 deg C according to guy in servo an hour ago.Hot and dry up here in the NE of Vic.Sime more work planned today for Longspur .....but it's ganna be a hot one!

23. Ubiquitous Steve

Chainsawing sorte got done today along Long Spur to the picnic table half way to Bossiea Hill.
    It was bloody hot ....thought Team Bears were going to get heat stroke.Saturday night at Camp Muhl was frigging warm!Some work done around Campsite too.Aprroach track got a few things tied up also.

24. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Take care up there in the hills @Ubiquitous Steve with heat and fire risk. Don’t get caught out without a line of retreat or two.:thumbs:

Untele-whippet and Chaeron like this.
  25. Ubiquitous Steve

On way home to Melb now .....the fire risk has gone up a few notches.
    There was no dew the fell on Saturday night ...that's at about 1,400 meters......very trying weather.....you are correct skifree one needs to be very vigilant now....goodness knows when it will rain again.
    Longspur is dry ....any lightening strikes and the NE is ganna be in for trouble!

26. Ubiquitous Steve

Those Wangaratta forecast max temps are all around 40 deg for next week..:tany:....there are some places I would not be in commming days!
    With stuff all rain predicted too....

27. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

A storm tracked across the Long Spur early this morning but no fires seem to have been recorded.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  28. Ubiquitous Steve

CFA incident site is showing problems in the NE around Mt Beauty......we presume due to lightening strikes last night.....

Not the type of weather to be on the Grey Hills it seems.
    Wangaratta in high thirties....Falls Ck around low twenties.............

29. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Over the coming long weekend,I should be scouting out : Spargo's hut ; The Twins and Mt. Blue Rag for white season day touring on skis. It looks like it will be hot in the Ovens Valley this week.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  30. Ubiquitous Steve

Mr T have you been to Youngs(sec Hut).......it's really good once you are touring because it's not a large altitude drop off from the plateau.....just Ski straight down major gulley?

skifree likes this.
  31. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I have visited Young's hut and camped there in green season. The views of Mt.Loch and subsequently Mt.Feathertop as you ascend the pole line from the hut and get back onto the treeless high plains are mesmerizing.

Chaeron and Ubiquitous Steve like this.
  32. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears at end of 4x4 track on Long Spur....cut one moderate size tree out of way in getting out here.Still night.no electrical storms at all.mild still night tiny bit of moisture in air.Track a bit bushy for 4x4 but surface is pretty dry at the moment.A bit of track work in morning on Walking Track over to Camp Mulhauser walking track.....to micro Saddle on the West of Mt M.
    Team Bears will do a chainsaw pass first then brushcutter one too.then some work on the first steep rise west of the micro Saddle.

Passed solo walker on Longspur while cutting tree....he is doing whole of AWT .he is heading for Big River Saddle tonight.He said that last night there were intensive storms around High Plains and Mt Bogong.

33. Ubiquitous Steve

The Track over Mt Mulhauser has been brush cut last year....so we turned our attention to overgrown jeep Track.....we have cut about half kilometre ....so less scrubby plants around 4x4 now.

#733 Ubiquitous Steve, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  34. Xplora

I mentioned this twice to you earlier in this thread. It was cut this year. There is still a great deal more to do from Mulhauser track toward Bogong but a chainsaw and whipper snipper are not the right tools. A petrol brushcutter is the way to go.

35. Ubiquitous Steve

Xplora I used two and a bit tanks of 2stroke clearing tree heads from the Walking Track...last weekend....so a chainsaw is very much one of the necessary tools up there.

There is now nothing on the track to dodge around or to do gymnastics.Long Spur is well and truely clean out to the halfway point before Bossiea Hill.Brush cutter blade probably needs replacing after today's effort!!Line cord is good around picnic tables and campsites but we fit a three point blade to the beast for scrub.
    When time permits we will do more work on Longspur 4x4 Track and also the last section of Track that comes over Bossiea Hill....

Team Bears are watching an electrical storm towards Wangaratta from Windy Corner...looks like it could be an exciting trip down the Hume tonight!!

36. Ubiquitous Steve

Had a conversation with Sunbury Motor Mower Man this morning....Bears are ordering a tungsten blade with teeth to tackle the 4x4 track out on Longspur...man says you really need 50 cc output brushcutter....ours is about 30cc 4 stroke.... but as it was less than 200 dollars from Aldi it's going ok so far.
    Finally steering box that is leaking dextron in a big way is comming out....it's done one million and two hundred thousand kms.....so it has done well.
    1200,000km. Impressive ....still working ok but pissing out dextron....

#736 Ubiquitous Steve, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  37. Ubiquitous Steve

A copy of part of guidelines for campfires in Vicco :Forest Fire Management Vic/Parks Vic.....note**you can only use designated fire places with Vic National Parks

The important sentence I read is as follows"If you light a campfire or BBQ you are legally responsible for ensuring that it is safe,doesnot escape,and is completely extinguished before you leave."

We also read "solid fuels placed onto your campfire cannot be bigger than one metre long"

Bears say being able to use chainsaw enables one to comply with this regulation above

You are required to keep a 3 metre air and ground clearance of all flammable material using a designated fireplace where available..

38. Ubiquitous Steve

From a brochure we picked up in Mitta Mitta....

39. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I think a 50 CC 2 stroke brushcutter with a metal blade would help me clear the jungle in my front yard.
    Steve your reading list is a bit dry. So dry you could start a fire with it ;-P.How about a novel such as "Dirt Music" by Tim Winton?. I am surprised you are not a member of the Mt. Bogong Club. I am planning to join that club.

40. Ubiquitous Steve

Not sure I could cope with all the rules ....Parks told them not to use chainsaw when getting wood ready for winter!

Now a book for dedicated brushcutting expeditions that little Bears recommend.....in fact our favourite author..

Our missions involve many failures!

41. Xplora

I believe the chainsaw in question was in fact confiscated, as the story was relayed to me by someone who was there at the time. It was also relayed to me that is was pretty stupid to use the saw when others (non members) were around and in particular PV. There are a number of good saws in the hut which are available to members and cutting wood with them is not hard. In fact it warms you up. Usually there are enough members around to make the task easy enough and you get some exercise at the same time.

Chaeron likes this.
  42. Ubiquitous Steve

It's pretty bloody silly of Parks Vic to pull a stunt like that IMPO.

It's not a punishment camp up at Cleve Cole......electric chainsaws or two stroke saws do the job in mins sparing members of Cleve Cole to concentrate on other tasks associated with up keep of their Hut.

Xplora really!Its 2018......a chainsaw used for half an hour causes little disruption but provides all those wet and bedraggled walkers/skiers/snow shoers(hey Mr T.) with the opportunity to sit and thaw out!

Cutting logs with hand saws is slow and tedious......if I tried that on Longspur ...then I suggest I would spend the whole week trying to cut through one Log .You seem to have a hangup in relation too chainsaws??

I doubt punishing those engaged in providing for others is doing the image of Parks Vic a great deal of good!I doubt that those of the Bogong Club were monstering green trees or cutting excessively.

If you really like hand sawing then maybe you could try a workout on something this size ..(as shown above )....Team Bears suggest that you would generate much heat to the bemusement to all and sundry.You could be harnessed to the electricity grid if the energy converted to heat could be trapped!Everybody could stand around you and warm themselves on your glowing body....they would not need a fire...you could be the heat source!

Mister Tee on XC Skis and prcoy like this.
  43. Xplora

Its not your club or your hut so why does it really matter to you so much? On the working parties there are usually so many people standing around looking for a job to do anyway and all the maintenance on the hut is always accounted for. If you are not cutting wood then you are hauling gas bottles up Eskdale spur or moving rock piles and still there was time and people to spare to fix up some snow poles last year. The process has worked fine for years and nobody has complained as yet. I did my share and others do theirs. It is not like you are stuck at if for hours and there always seems to be more than enough wood for all, including those who have not contributed. Whatever you do with your time is up to you and if you get caught doing the wrong thing then you pay the price. Personally I don't see why the Bogong Club should be treated any different to others so if PV turn a blind I for some then others will see it as their right as well. If you break the rules and get caught then you pay for it in the same way as everyone else. Seems fair to me. It appears to me the 'hangup' with chainsaws is not with me. I use them when appropriate but not to the annoyance of others in the NP. This discussion was had on another thread. You have set yourself apart from the rest and feel reg 73 does not apply to you. When you attempt to justify your actions you only cement this position. If I want to listen to chainsaws and generators when camping then I would go to a State forest.

Chaeron likes this.
  44. Ubiquitous Steve

Typical over the top reaction Xplora!But I am getting accustomed to your outbursts in different threads.

Not many folk I know with any sanity make noise on chainsaws just to annoy other campers.Perhaps you could outline exactly regulation 73 for us.My position on noisey generators was quiet clear.

Again you told me that no chainsaw work was required on Longspur.....which was bullshit .....I used over 2 tanks of two stroke on Longspur and one and half on Mulhauser Walking Trail.So I conclude you like to give inaccurate reports out to keep chainsaws off Longspur.....all chainsawing work was necessary to cut fallen timber off the track....Team Bears did not cut anything out that was unnecessary.Please try not to give innaccurate track reports out in future.

Our chainsawing work was necessary and of benefit to most users....if you want to scramble last fallen trees then that's cool ....it's your personal choice....but try not to mislead others that may be wanting accurate reports of tracks.

So Team Bears conclude you have a hidden agenda here....trying to push some National Park Line or ideology.

My recent trips to Longspur and Mulhe Walking Track we have encountered not a single soul!So hardly anybody is upset by our chainsaw activities.We did pass a solo walker on Longspur 4x4 track just as the Team were working out to tackle a large diameter Log limiting any vehicle access.The walker was heading for Big River Saddle and was asking about the stream noted in guide books some 300m from the site.We informed him that we had cleared debri with chainsaw and brushcutter that facilitated getting water easily from this water source .....so any noise we may be making for a short time previously had been of considerable benefit to this chap and any comming after.
    But we see you are pro National Park management regardless of what ever position they take......

We will not trouble you for future reports of tracks because they are misleading at best.

Anyway good luck to you in your endeavours .....

45. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

While I plead guilty to owning a GPS, PLB and digital camera, and using them, let’s keep machines out of National Parks except for ParksVic and DSE staff and official work parties.

OH&S, insurance liability, protecting the public, keeping the peace and quiet, protecting the environment- so many reasons.

Like keeping snowmobiles out and cars and trail bikes on the road only.

46. Mister Tee on XC Skis

"My position on noisey generators was quiet clear".
    I wish noisy generators would be 'quiet'....;-P

47. Ubiquitous Steve

Oh let's give up on critical thinking all together.

Nobodies worried about glamper camping on Diamintina Spur.....all that Draft proposal stuff must have been "fake news"

Good to know that Parks Vic is looking after everything and we can all just munch scroggin and just keep on walking like forest gump?

Let's all return to the Stoneage ...Team Bears heard it was a fun time!
    Team Bears can craft stone axes and everything.....let's even ban the wheel barrow !!

Well it's all been a downhill slide since corrugated iron was invented according to some hardcore purists!

Team Bears can well understand why Les Southwell did a lot of trips by himself.
    Parks need a special regulation to cover "nuisance bushwalkers "they canmake life hell in the backcountry! Oh we quite liked Les.....but some other fellows must have sent him silly!

48. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ubi. Steve ,Downhill slides are what skiing is all about if you ask to the Down Hill skiing crowd.
    The Persians invented the wheel but Who invented the Wheelbarrow?
    How does Forrest Gump walk? Does he chew trail mix and walk at the same time? I have yet to master that skill... :p

49. Ubiquitous Steve

It's not so much that forest gump walks ....it's the crowd that follows blindly.....he walks they follow!The crowd just follow ....they are not sure why they follow...they just do....

So we don't need to follow? We all have the capacity to evaluate the situation ..it's just so easy to follow....don't ask where we are or where we are going.....

50. Ubiquitous Steve

Note from old :)English bearwe.....:cool:seems Team Bears carrying more than their weight...:thumbs:..
    Teams Bears not so keen on the "second class :oops:lever "Classification though!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.