Bogong & Feathertop Access /Track reports etc.

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ubiquitous Steve, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Spiersy

Spiersy Active Member

2. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Vicco one a whole lot more interesting with more topographical relief>>>
    I think I can make out Etherridge but not sure I can see Seamans....
    first glimpse I thought u had long bar chainsaw till I realized my error!!

#102 Ubiquitous Steve, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  3. frqnt

frqnt New Member

FYI for anyone heading to North Feathertop in lieu of forecast Wx. event; track sans impeding trees to Stoney Tops winter gate after clearing work on September 5, looked like nobody had been up in a while.

Can't comment on current conditions but it was clear when I left it. Recommend taking chainsaw and having good clearance as the ford at the beginning of the track will be running high.

@Ubiquitous Steve you're a legend, love your work.

Attached Files:

4. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Team Bears have had a month of "down time" cos Ubi injured leg( a little) on a recent Bungelow Clearance Op. But we hope to go to Stoneytops Gate shortly may be weekend after Grand Final weather permitting..
    We have another table to establish at the Stoneytops Site adding to the one that went in earlier..when the first table went in we spent considerable time gaining access past a mother fnn fallen tree about 1km short of gate just to get the job done!!

I need an easy trip so to speak in vehicle to road test my recovering quad muscle..
    also rodeo has to have one of its front 4wd hubs replaced on Monday(a part time system) and pretty small job..
    cos we aint going up there without 4wd capacity..:cool:

5. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

we were pleased with this installation..hope u got a chance to get down there
    [​IMG]
    please feel free to brush any of these new tables with suitable oil...we have been coating them with el cheapo bunnings $19 a can oil ...the five of the six in the field got a good coat before winter...the big stag in the end of clearing we hope gets toppled with current weather when nobody is around...its ganna fall sometime...
    the second table will go up that end :again located to minimize vehicle/camping conflict.... tracks into West Kiewa are closed till the Melb Cup so we intend to do some work on alternate sites...one of which is this special Stoneytops Campsite...

6. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

oh frqnt...just saw your pic too..excellent work....good to see everybody cutting those fallen trees out of way...

7. NickJ

NickJ Active Member

Has anyone been to/from Camp Creek since the weather a few days ago. It was in great condition a fortnight ago but noting the Bogong High Plains Road having a closure due to fallen trees and landslides has me concerned for my planned weekend!

8. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Team Bears have not been out for a while cos Team Leader has sore leg...expect surface will be ok but slippery but carry a saw,wedges axe etc...

9. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

And a big shovel.

10. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Team Bears managed to get the new Picnic Table into Stoneytops Campsite even though it was a bit full on driving up the Hume on Sunday Morning and then across to Bright....

Others have done a superb job in clearing major fallen logs on the way in.....some big trees have been cut to provide tight access particularly on section to start of Stoneytops Track(where it diverges from Dungey Track near the little ford(which we call Stoneytops Lower Campsite).Team Bears only had to cut one small brach off track on our drive up....

So we installed table this being the second for this campsite...one up one end and the other at the other...

now the wind was not so bad up there as in Melb..maybe we had more shelter from the northerly winds....so table came off back of ute easily and we had it erected under half an hour....looks good..

then we tried to tidy up protruding poles and logs around the track on way down ..we spent a couple of hours and as we said wind was not too bad during our activities....we got a lot of junk out of the way....

track surface is good ..it had been dry for a few days which helped....
    we saw a sign advising that the gentler track to left on the Stoneytops Ring Rd was closed because a Root Bowl had landed on track..so we took the right steeper alternative...surface good no problems for 4x4......

also note road ..Dungeys Track is closed past Stoneytops Junction according to signs ...Sign says landslips have occurred on Simmonds Rd ....we did not investigate ..cos we had a job to do at Stoneytops Top Camp site...

Ford was ok on way in...running high and fast but its only little(has limited catchment too) but watch it after a down pour..

so Feathertop Access is good this way to the locked gate at present and track surface is good on Stoneytops no slips or rock falls....our campsite has had no further tree falls which is very good too....
    pics to follow later in week...

Snow Rd and Highways good at moment cos there has been a few days with little rain also....

11. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

Wonder how the road into Camp Creek fared with the winds?

I'm thinking of heading to Bogong this weekend.

12. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

not sure ...that access into Camp Ck probably get more winds from the Nth.....hopefully somebody that's returned can help u out...

CarveMan likes this.
  13. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

pics r in....Team Bears set off from home on the blustery windy morning sunday...
    [​IMG]
    morning tea Neds Burgers Glenrowan
    [​IMG]
    Stoneytops campsite(upper) the new (2nd table) is set up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    looking from first established table done earlier in year to this new one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and more pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

left loop of Stoneytops Track is closed ..we did not investigate but travelled up the steeper track to the right instead
    [​IMG]

15. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

we did appreciate the informative signs that somebody went to trouble to do....so Stoneytops still accessible to locked gate and no major obstacles except the blocked left part of ring rd and several cut obstacles to negotiate past....

16. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

No big obstacles on Eskdale but definitly overgrown with shrubs. Our mates came up from Granite Flat and reported an easier walk.

They are young so I put them to work:

skifree, GS and Jellybeans1000 like this.
  17. CaptainC

CaptainC Active Member

So what are Neds Burgers in Glenrowan like? I've never been there.

18. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

good place to stop coming up from Melb ::nice and restful,dunny across rd too..
    less hustle and bustle than Glenrowan Maccas/Petrol Station...

then just stay on the Glenrowan Main Rd passing the above mentioned facility till you get to Snow Rd at T Intersection.Continuing straight on to Wangaratta also...

50km speed limit so slow right down from turn off /on its only 1km so its negligible time off Hume Highway..

and if u need to get petrol come into above mentioned facility from the other side...

30sec from turnoff into Neds from Hume......watch Winton Rd as you sweep in on your Right..

19. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

It is on my list to go up to Fed. Hut via this route , even if I have to hike it in.

20. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture

S

Should be part of Citizenship process.

21. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

they also keep up with Team Bears Operations with our coffee break communications...done almost weekly....other folk dropping thro cross pollinate with creative ideas...o_O

sometimes they perform quality control activities on newly constructed picnic tables which delights the bears..

22. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

well we got another one up to Stoneytops Barrier neatly placed pics will follow...

Good news is that a dozer has cleared all Stoneytops Trail to the Barrier(both sides of the loop too)
    Dozer has not gone above barrier.
    Road along valley from Germantown Bridge is 100% clear :all log jambs in State Forest have been delt with...

Also dozer has done good works in putting little drainage ditches or clearing old ones...

so excellent conditions up to Barrier coming from Bitumen...

23. Team Weasel

Team Weasel Active Member

Bungalow spur is pretty good at the moment...a couple of minor logs over the track up high. Snakes are out and about.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  24. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Deer Hunters camped at Stoneytops Lower near Dungey Track/Stoneytops Junction tell me road/track out to Dungeys Track/Pyramid Hill Junction is good also...they came thro slips on Simmonds Creek Road from Mt Beauty but tell me a 4x4 will get thro the drainage furrow that's been placed across the road/track....

25. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

now the new table at Barrier(Stoneytops)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    well tucked out of way....
    one obstacle on way in we did a tempory fix too and as we had time on way out Team Bears removed it completely..
    Hope Ziggy likes the Bunnings Tape
    [​IMG]

26. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

[​IMG]
    pic after operation as we came out..always take chainsaw in there...only needed a 14inch bar with this one...
    was snowing a little at 6pm just after we finished instillation...
    [​IMG]
    hope u guys like this new thingee.

27. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

For anybody looking forward to winter trail closures ending this Thurs as gazetted, Parks Vic have announced that a number of trail closures will remain in place until Nov 30. This includes Granite Flat track.

28. AndrewA

AndrewA Well-Known Member

I haven't been in via Granite Flat since they closed the road around from Camp Creek Gap, and put the "Super highway" in from Trapper's Gap. Carveman commented that some of his mates came in from Granite Flat a few weeks ago - which bit of Granite Flat Track gets closed? I presume that if you follow the Camp Creek Gap around you get to the Granite Flat track, and beyoind this do you eventually get down to the Mitta valley?

A

29. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

I haven't been that way but they said that there was a gate, then they walked on what was clearly a 4WD track for quite some time, then there was another gate and it became a walking track.

They reckon it's a little quicker to go up when the lower gate is closed, and when it's open it would be a doddle to Michell.

30. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

not sure ...I would presume the super highway is open to Granite Flat(Omeo Highway)via Hollow way...(Granite Flat Spur Area)...AND that the small Track Leading into Granite Flat Spur Access is closed at its seasonal Closure barrier.....all conjecture though...

31. AndrewA

It's always a bummer walking on a perfectly good 4WD track. Granite Flat track is a great cruise up Bogong though .

32. stansi

stansi Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Seem to remember low range needed?

33. AndrewA

Low range used to be needed when the track continued on from Camp Creek Gap, but the actual Granite Flat track was NTB - there was some rock dodging which required some clearance, but I don't recall anything else (mind you, memory is a bit hazy!)

34. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

somebody recently told Team Bears that the tricky section(steep,rough.slippery) on the last bit of Granite Flat 4x4 Trail just as it crests the ridge proper has been reworked(probably dozed) to make passage much simpler....but this is second hand info.....and certainly its a nice way up to Bogong or a contour around a well cut track to Michelle Hut...so once track is open again it should provide easy access to the Granite Flat Spur Trail Head( well we would not call it a carpark as such..)
    so remember the old up and down approach directly along Granite Flat Spur from the Hollow Way has been closed for a few years and has management mounds that prevent vehicles form re entering this way....but the new ascending traverse(the new developed track) comes in at a saddle on GFSpur Trail and then climbs a little over the last km of track roughly..a gate(barrier) marks the start of this track...

#134 Ubiquitous Steve, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  35. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Does that mean my current Vic Map of MITTA MITTA is inaccurate?. I am saving up for a 4 WD so I can access these routes more easily .

36. FloatOnSnow

FloatOnSnow Just Registered

Hi All,
    newbie to this forum but wanted to get some info about the Staircase spur. Is there much snow from the treeline to the summit. Is the summit ridge out to Cleve Cole and or West peak clear?
    Ta!

37. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

Right now you would be walking on a little but not much snow at all from Staircase to the Summit.

Summit to CC would be 50% snow I reckon, West Peak closer to 100% unless you go over to the northern side instad of walking on the plateau.

38. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

The Granite Flat track going from the Camp Creek carpark is a super highway through to the winter gate. Beyond that it was really overgrown until I think Feb this year. PV did a lot of dozer work through to the permanent closure. It is still steep and with a predominantly clay base would be very slippery at the moment. The winter closure means about a 3km walk on fire trail till walking track but heaps easier access to Michell.

39. FloatOnSnow

Thanks! Do you know what the snow depth is like- or snow shoes required?

40. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

Hard to say - ridges are definitely burned out but still deep snow in the lee/S/E faces.

41. Mister Tee on snow shoes

I would take snow shoes or microspikes at very least just in case. Deep drifts on Southern and Easterly facing slopes above 1800 M in spring can cause large units such as myself to sink down to one's waist and that is not always helpful.

42. AndrewA

Ha - the other thing to watch out for in Spring are snow caves. I remember almost skiing over one that the roof was melting out on up above Cairn Gully, and thinking how miserable it would be to fall into one! Can anyone who was up there last weekend tell me whether there is still snow at Black Saddle, or on the very last flattish bit on the Eskdale before you do the steeper climb onto the ridge? I'm thinking of some more interesting campsites than my norm.

A

43. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

Western side of Eskdale is completely burned out. You could almost walk to Eskdale Pt without getting your shoes wet, snow on the Eastern side to ski at least part of the way back down.

44. FloatOnSnow

Thanks All for the info!

CarveMan likes this.
  45. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Team Bears failed to get into West Kiewa as Dungeys Track is still closed and will be reviewed late Nov: sign says that it could open sooner if conditions permit!!

Bears went to fall back plan and established a new picnic table in Lower Stoneytops Campsite...:p
    which is more frequently used than all other sites..And this site is gateway for West Kiewa and Stoneytops(Nth Peak) from the Melb(Ovens Valley side ) so it is a useful stopping point.

Table went in shaded area under a few little wattle trees.

Bears cut some long grass with wiper snipper around vicinity and did a clean up of a few logs:so a good supply of firewood is drying out near the fire place...

Access to the creek for drinking water is good just here.

Again we wanted table established out of way of all other conflicting campsite uses.

A table right out in open was not considered because of lack of any shade over summer:UV index is starting to go extreme now.

A few hazards were delt with around campsite before summer intensifies...

Weather was kind:light winds/sunny and warm for sat/sunday.

We are up to table 12 now....

Bears waiting till Dungeys Track Opening restores access into West Kiewa..
    We have a few more plans to instigate down there in coming months.

Pics to follow later in week of this operation.

Grass is going into overdrive so a wiper snipper and line cord are a good item to carry when camping..

46. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

not sure whats happening at Stoneytops Barrier:as Bears had other activities to occupy their time.

Certainly Dungeys Track is passable around to Pyramid Hill Track and to Pyramid Hill Fire Trail(personal observation) and beyond..( according to realible sources regardless of present signage.)

Dungeys Track Barrier is padlocked as outlined above...so no access is happening into West Kiewa at moment..

47. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

hey we go..Stoneytops Lower Campsite with new table
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

48. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

49. Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Good job @Ubiquitous Steve for the tables among other things and the track status updates. Also now what you mean by Team Bears;)...

50. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold