Bogong & Feathertop Access /Track reports etc.

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ubiquitous Steve, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Finished up in West Kiewa this arvo....drove West Kiewa Logging Rd ...pretty greasy surface ....went out to Diamantina Hirse Yards ....well our table is a ok out there right within the National Park....

But some greenies And or crazies in four wheel drives have dragged some of the tables around campsites to position close to fires etc..
    They have also damaged some seats...that is the 2.4 m 200x50 mm.treated pine sleepers...they cut a few with chainsaw..total psychos

Also much rubbish left all over the place...

Broadford campsite tables are all a.ok
    Big logs campsite has damage
    Island Campsite neat the 1st of the two difficult fords has damage.
    Concrete bridge campsite has damage.

Now damage is minor.....dozen new sleepers will fix the problem shortly.

Doggers and deer hunters will be brought up to speed shortly on vandalism.....

Maybe their deer spy cams my yield some clues...

Came out via Dungey Track and it's in good shape with only minor debri to negotiate....

Doggers campsite at Dungeys and Stoneytops Junction is A Ok.
    Their hardwood table looks good....somebody was packing up as I cruised through and said doggers were there at my table last night as their table was being used already by this group.

West Kiewa is wet ...Dungey track out to Big Logs is boggy needs mud Tyres ....the steep hill may be to bloody wet to negotiate at moment.

High track is negotiable at moment...I had my doubts as to the surface at the top of big incline.... buts it's ok at moment.

River level is low also at present too.

So an interesting weekend.

Be warned doggers and deer hunters will not be pleasant if they catch the vandals...

Warning do not come up the steep incline directly at West Kiewa Logging Rd come at it via Big Logs Campsite then u turn and come back up hill....some bogs along here but all negotiable ....the steep incline will be as slippery as ......

2. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Xplora I am not sure what relevance your posts have above.....I have really too much to do to worry about without taking on board your petty crap...

Anyway have a good evening sir!

3. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

An example of the stupid idiots down in the West Kiewa....karma may come their way sooner than they realise....

4. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Your evidence for what classification of person who moved and / or damaged your table and chair set is?

5. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

Was this meant to be a competition or just sarcasm? I'll choose to take it as the former. By the look of the trees and the watercourse my first guess would have to be somewhere on Snowy Creek. Looking at the other clues I would then suggest a likely location would be around 10km south of Mitta Mitta (100 or so km north of Omeo) on the Omeo Highway. There is a small pull over used by tourists, fishermen, campers and the odd caravan and I would say this table would be in addition to your other one placed earlier. It is a nice spot for a picnic and a good location for your table. Was I close?

6. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Yes ..that's right...a good place to crash after a long trip from Melb.only about six kms further on than Mitta Mitta.At night the windy road takes its toll...so sometimes I Camp here and then make an early start...it's a Vic Rds Campsite Officially...well I think..It's got the little Blue Sign...

7. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Team Bears just got back from West Kiewa.....everything is back under control...
    A couple of locals I encountered in their 4x4's are pretty annoyed that "their tables"got vandalised..some are talking to the local police to see what may be done in future.

We took up a truck load of sleepers and fixed the damage...one table brought back to Melb to have four sleepers replaced also..

We finished work in dark under lumination from out light bars.....

We got tables back to their original positions and reanchored them.

West Kiewa is wet the tracks are slippery.
    WK Logging Rd is free of major obstacles.....
    We forded the W.K.at the more difficult fords....well the lower one to access three tables...water level is low and there were no problems..

The high track remains passable...the steep hill is not too bad on its most difficult bit.

Dungey Track must be Ok...as folk have been in that way.

Avoid steep hill to WKLRd....as it's probably impassable(slippery clay/steep)
    Use the lower track thro bogs to work your way up there to the new gate..

No rain in there this arvo......but slight mizzle on leaving late in the evening.

So access remains open from both routes and thus thro to the Diamantina H.Yards.
    It is wet and slippery...u do need aggressive mud tyres......water level is low at present so all fords are negotiable....

8. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

On this matter there would be very little the Police could do even if they caught someone in the act. As much as the tables provide for travellers, the Police require an owner of property if it is damaged in order to take action. Who owns the tables once you have placed them? Without permission from the land manager to place the table it does not go onto their asset register. You could say that by virtue that it is on the land it then belongs to the land manager but it could be argued the tables are nothing more than rubbish left behind by another camper if permission to place the table was not given. They are not rubbish of course but someone could argue that successfully to avoid a conviction. The tables no longer belong to you as you have left them behind and if the land manager does not want the tables where you put them then it could be considered littering. Not having a dig at you, just letting you know. Another reason why I work within the system, even if it is flawed.

9. Time

Time Active Member

Drop the Mic.... This is the single most inflammatory thing ever written on these hallowed pages.

10. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

The same group are using trees as targets....small living trees...they will cut anything for tent poles etc..rubbish is strewn all over the place..there was talk of reckless drivers under the influence...discharging of firearms in a dangerous manner close to a formed roadway.

These things are happening in addition to table damage.....

I am confident that authorities will prosecute for the conduct described above.
    My friends the doggers are most responsible and also caring for the environment....they will not be happy with any of these things I have noted.
    Seasons Rd closures will occur shortly after the Long Weekend:this is really necessary as the West Kiewa becomes water logged and dangerous for vehicle traffic....
    So yobbos cannot gain access during this time unless they angle grind the gates and locks.But then the fallen trees and river heights prevent them travelling far.

Locals I have spoken to have no doubt discussed a few things with relevant authorities and local police.

11. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Does this look like rubbish?

12. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

Serious. How rude. You quote that line but then neglect to read or quote the next -
    My comment was not meant to be and should not be construed to be inflammatory. It is pointing out the good work done by someone can be undone with little comeback and I did not call his tables rubbish. I am certainly no fan of vandals or people who intent on destroying anything regardless of ownership and I would encourage Steve to formalise his efforts. I know that is not how he works but I see the benefit and encourage him nonetheless to do so.

Chaeron likes this.
  13. VSG

VSG Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Much chatter about tables.

Steve is the best. Without his efforts, we would all be worse off. Go @Ubiquitous Steve :D

14. Time

Time Active Member

Fixed it, you are welcome.

If you both just accept each other is pursuing change by your own means and move on from this back and forth that'd be swell.

I've been around long enough to know steve has many advocates that recognise his efforts and yes at times look the other way. I also see great value in your approach to effect change from within the system.

It's great neither of you are part of the 80% who pray for miracles, but instead are making a genuine difference.

Go have a beer together, thrashing it out on the interwebs won't solve anything.

AuroraAustralis and Chaeron like this.
  15. Chaeron

Chaeron Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

The advantages of being a known entity understanding of the system's priorities, requirements and constraints.... credibility and compromise frequently goes a long way.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  16. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

The track up the Bungalow spur to Fed. Hut is in reasonable order. PV have cleared it. I was up there on June 4th and 5th.There is patchy icy snow cover from the Fed. Hut ruins site upwards. I was wearing Kahtoola micro spikes to safely reach the summit at dawn on Monday June 5th 2017.What a view !!

#366 Mister Tee on snow shoes, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Ubiquitous Steve and BillyKidd like this.
  17. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Sounds like Management 101?

18. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Yes you have a point there....let's have some road and track reports after all that's the title of the original post...
    What's that access like into Granite Flat....still trafficable up to carpark ....not too slippery on the little steeps??

Bears did notice the old picnic table at the hollow way has seen better days on their last visit too:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Chaeron likes this.
  19. Chaeron

Chaeron Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I went up Granite Flat couple of weeks back - it was good then, but one section about half-way in particular would really be more challenging in the wet.

20. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Yep I think I know the pinch to which you refer...on the Jeep Track to Granite Flat.

The forest rd...Hollow Way is pretty good throughout winter these days excepting for any fallen timber complicating the issues.When it was newly formed I got bogged for an hour or so till I managed to extricate my vehicle swallowed in a muddy section.But now those sections are much better and firmer.

The approach to Camp Ck Saddle is always good now except for fallen trees now and again.

Chaeron likes this.
  21. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Mulhauser approach is unknown at moment..via Snowy Log Rd:love:..have not been there for awhile.
    I would counsel against coming in from Big River Rd on the freshly dozed Jeep Track (part of Longspur)even with a winch and differential locks.:thumbs: A couple of sections are steep and will be very wet now.

#371 Ubiquitous Steve, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  22. VSG

VSG Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Click for larger

Bogong

Attached Files:

23. VSG

VSG Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Legend to the map tracks above..

skifree likes this.
  24. Mister Tee on snow shoes

I might go up the NW spur of Mt FT on the weekend of June 24th and 25th .It is weather dependent. If I do I will give a track report. I am getting match fitness for winter ascents with a full winter snow camping pack.

25. Mister Tee on snow shoes

You would have to be a monger:confused: to get lost somewhere between Fitzgerald's hut and Kelly's hut in fair weathero_O. The snow poles are obvious and the Marum point track down to the aquaduct is not the same as the Watchbed creek track back to Rocky Valley dam.Putting more sign posts up may not help people like that because they are defective.;)

26. BillyKidd

BillyKidd Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

^^ That would be a minger LOL

27. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

Part of the road fell away during the big wet last year but logging operations have ceased for the moment. The road is in good condition on Snowy Log Road and apart from a small steep, wet section the Mulhauser track section is OK. Likely to be trees down at any time on any part and given no logging operations they will not be cleared regularly.
    My thoughts are this track should be a seasonal closure. If a winch, big tyres and a diff lock are required then those with them are just going to destroy the track in winter. We never do it in the winter for that reason. After any big dozer work the track should be locked up anyway so the disturbed soil can settle. The track to Jamison hut was dozed a few years back and in the summer after a bit of rain it was just one big muddy hill. What a trap for the unsuspecting day tripper with crappy tyres. We were stuck there for half a day until the road dried out enough and even then it was a bit dicey.
    Trees are already starting to fall and it is not even wet. If any are planning access via these tracks and do not have a chainsaw then you should take extra food. A UHF radio would also be helpful.
    Please explain? And a minger is an extremely ugly person. I guess defective may be a bit harsh but lacking the skills needed to be in the area what I was meaning. Some locals would call them nuff nuffs. Signs will help most tourists but then how many do you put up? Some will be beyond any help. Snow poles can blend into the surrounds. They are made from wood and with so much dead timber around some people may simply not be tuned to looking for them. Snow on the ground changes everything as well and an obvious track is much less so to inexperienced people. I am not making excuses for them but certainly the type of person visiting the area has changed considerably over the years and it is clear the area needs better signage. PV Mt. Beauty are on to it and they can use both accounts as history to justify the expenditure. I am sure there are more occasions which go unreported.

Chaeron likes this.
  28. Mister Tee on snow shoes

A Monger (not Minger) is local colloquialism for a defective, an NQR unit.

29. Mister Tee on snow shoes

A mOnger is something /someone akin to a nuff nuff. mOngers have ruined the world because apparently it is acceptable to be monumentally thick and compliant with things that warrant some kind of independent and questioning thought.

30. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

You can make things fool proof, but not damm fool proof, cos there will always be a damm fool. To quote my Dad.

31. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Good post Xplora...The Big River Rd approach is trickey and track degradation will result during winter.I would support a seasons closure perhaps in the small clearing just after the first incline...after the dozing even this section of disturbed track would be getting slippery.The little steeps further on are prone to erosion and also high enough to have snow also.We noted the wisdom of the DSE operator as he cleared fallen debri with his blade but did not doze scrub surrounding the upper half of this route which though a nuisance for passage in summer provides better stabilization during winter.l
    It's obviously difficult for Parks staff to draw a line in provision of signs here and there.They do have concern for the day trippers and a responsibility to help them get to those close by Huts while on their day walks.
    I saw some vertical signs(new additions)out near Langford Gap recently and I sat there looking at them not understanding the direction to Wallaces etc that they referred too.So they they appear pretty but they failed to clearly point the direction of travel for a newbie.I could not make any immediate sense out of it!!
    But as MR.T says it's not possible to design a system that is fool proof.
    The little foot Track to Blairs from the Saddle needs a little sign..Blairs Foottrack 1kilometer ....most folk unless they study the map assiduously will walk down the roadway and see Blairs just down the hill over the creek the first time they come down there..which I have done ..it's pretty funny when you see the best way in via the foot Track.You blunder on via the vehicle access track (longer)back tracking into Blairs from the east!!And you see your goal so close but unreachable down the steep hill over the creek!!

#381 Ubiquitous Steve, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  32. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

well perhaps we could develop signage at the trail heads ...
    "Nuff nuffs and mongers" prohibited unless accompanied by a responsible adult.Regulation 101 Parks Vic Act 1945.

33. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

Setting up a seasonal closure can be a long process. It involves talking with many interested groups such as 4wd Victoria. In the case of the Long Spur it could also involve the ADA or Sporting shooters Assoc as it is a declared hunting area under the control of DELWP. Fortunately, for the track at least, the large number of trees that came down last winter was just too much for the average punter and it could be easier to rely on that than trying to get a gate put in. They are often snatched or cut regardless if the track is popular with those wanting winter access. I casually know one of the DELWP guys in charge of that area and it was he who told me they were going to work on the track after winter last year. I believe it may have been planned before I told him about all the fallen trees. Next time I see him I will make sure to pass on thanks for the work and canvas the idea of a gate.

So true but it is all about risk management. There are 2 types of risk, a potential and a real. Risk management is a fluid thing, always changing as new risks are identified and Parks are obliged to take action once a real risk has been identified. At the very least they have to address the extent of the risk and ensure adequate measures are in place, not necessarily to prevent it but to mitigate it. This has two effects. The first is to make it safer for those at risk and the second is to reduce liability. I would hope the first is more important but both have value. The most change is affected once the coroner is involved but fortunately the the average ranger would rather things did not get to that. I have seen the new signs but confess it has only been at speed. I don't need them to find my way on the High Plains and tend not to walk the tourist routes as much unless I am taking tourists for a walk. I see them as a sign of the future direction for the area and the type of visitor being attracted to the area by tourist promotions. Perhaps they have been designed for the average tourist who can understand directions on those shopping mall boards where I would get lost trying to find the toilet. Anyway, rest assured, those in charge who have the power to affect change read these pages (from time to time) so making the problems known is the first step.

34. The Bluff

The Bluff Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

With respect.....and acknowledging your efforts in good faith...and knowing how pissed off I would be if I had made these tables ..in the context of the tension your activities cause amongst some forum members........I am giggling at little at this.....just a little;)

35. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

I took some Melbourne people for a walk out to Fitz's and Kelly's huts yesterday and blow me down, with a sign right in front of them pointing the way they were confused about the way back, which was the same as the way in and even the footprints in the snow did not give it away. To their credit, they would not have ventured out there without us guiding or good map. A herd of 10 feral horses are in the area currently but no sign of them yesterday. They are causing some considerable mess digging up the snow to get to the grass not to mention all the green bullets left behind. A great deal of sign on the ground of domestic horses (horse shoe prints). Looks like at least 3 and they camped overnight at Kelly's before heading down 107. Not supposed to be there this time of year. Very naughty.

36. Mister Tee on snow shoes

What is the snow cover like out there now?
    I will be heading out to Fitzgerald's hut from Windy corner at the end of August/ First weekend of Sept for some snow shoe/ snow camping action.

37. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Team Bears caught up with Doggers and their families and their two pups down in West Kiewa at Big Logs Campsite.(Briggs Old Logging Site).

Doggers were aware of vandalism and like most folk were pretty disgusted.
    All tables fixed.The two most distant ones have had a coat of oil too.Everything back to normal now.

Team Bears went for a ramble out to Blairs and put Saw through all logs that had been prepared as firewood and also split most with our axe.Last winters rough hanypanel fix on window is still there keeping the weather out.Oh so much for the system....really!!!

Only tension we generate in this forum is due to crazy dudes that are a bit out of it and away with the faireys.But we say this in a good spirited way.:thumbs::whistle:

It's not just me that was pissed off....just about all that come into the West Kiewa (well there is only a handful really) are keen to catch up with the culprits big time ....and the locals may get to giggle some time in the future when they do.
    Doggers report that tables were being used over the weekend at several of our sites.So the quiet majority would seem to be more than happy.

Management Gates are set to close later this week.....and the West Kiewa becomes a wilderness for three months so to speak.

Poor old Blairs looks like it needs some work done on it....but we will let the so called system step up to the mark to do it all.

The Bluff and BillyKidd like this.
  38. Chaeron

Chaeron Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

They've been there quite some time- came across them in early May - hope they move down the valley - they were in 2 family groups.

39. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

We spotted them on our last trip in a few weeks back. Reports of them around Nelse before the snow. We only saw one stallion and recognised him as one who used to be around Mt. Jim with one mare and foal. The mares look like the herd around Tawonga. There seems to have been a shake up of the herds and this little fellow has stolen some mares and run off. Information about this has been passed on to Parks in Mt Beauty and they are keen also to have them move down to grassy areas over winter. Horse management has been suspended for a time while vested groups and Parks come to agreement on management. I would encourage all new information regarding this group to be passed on to Parks.
    Thin and melting but it is not August. I would be concerned if the current cover was indicative of August cover.
    There is no official caretaker listed for Blairs hut but it has some significance. It has been a while since I was. The Blair family used it until 2003 when the last of their cattle were moved off the mountain. Maybe the only good thing about the FHAC is that money has been allocated for work to the historic huts which are near the route. Major works on this hut have a permit from heritage groups or council and all work must be done in consultation with the National Trust. This does add a bit of a level to the system but the first part is informing. Not sure how much they already know or how far the ball has rolled already.

Chaeron likes this.
  40. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Well till the wheels of the "system" start turning maybe some Park Volunteers could be well deployed to Block up some of the huge gaps between the logs.The "sunlight panels "that have been deployed in the roof were a good idea to get some light inside there.Though our handy panel fix was a bit rough on the window it is still highly affective....

Nothing much has changed at Blairs or the Horseyards....no feral trees causing issues so far.The horsetrack down to Blairs from Main Road was well cleared previously by Parks or another group and is in good condition.
    Track condition from Blairs to Weston's Hut I am unable to comment on as I have not been up there for awhile.

41. Mister Tee on snow shoes

https://get.google.com/albumarchive...hoWvVBmF-8?source=pwa&authKey=CKGdiNWvkfHS1QE

skifree, VSG and Ubiquitous Steve like this.
  42. Mister Tee on snow shoes

June 5th 2017 Monday morning at Fed. hut , getting ready after a successful dawn summit mission on Mt FT to descend back to Harrietville.

43. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Dawn/Sunrise as seen from the summit of Mt FT on Monday June 5th 2017. Photo By Mr. Tee on kahtoola microspikes ;-P

#393 Mister Tee on snow shoes, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    BillyKidd likes this.
  44. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Sunrise over Mt. Bogong as seen from the summit of Mt. Feathertop, on Monday June 5th 2017. If you disagree that it is effing great to be alive , esp. at moments like this then switch the idiot box off now because the other photos I have taken will just bring you down even more ;-P

#394 Mister Tee on snow shoes, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  45. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Day Break on the Mt. FT summit ridge. June 5th 2017.

BillyKidd likes this.
  46. Mister Tee on snow shoes

June 4th 2017, Sunday , dusk over the Razorback , Alpine N.P. Victoria.

47. frqnt

frqnt New Member

Did you hike the NW Spur last weekend? Or has anyone recently?

I'm going up tomorrow and would like to know if I need to carry utilitarian hardware or if the track is clear.

Thanks

#397 frqnt, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  48. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Hi
    I am sick with the winter lurgi and have been for some time. It won't budge ! it is chronic :-(.I have not been up the NW spur yet this winter , but If Mt. Stirling does not come through with the snow by July 9/10/11 th , then the NW spur it will be. Mt. FT should have snow high up and I have yet to do a winter ascent of the NW spur.The track is not maintained. I went down it a couple of years ago :-0 and the track becomes a bit vague too. As long as you stay on top of the ridge/spur things should go well.

49. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

Snowy Log road and Mulhauser track still accessible and in good condition as of yesterday. That may change after this current weather change. Mostly 2wd.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  50. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Just came down from Michelle Hut.Road in is good,slippery.Some snow on higher portion as you near Camp Ck.Snow along horizontal traverse of foot Track and"Drain"is a slippery pain in the asse.
    Got some work done at Michelle Hut....Andrew has also fixed up tap a little so it's insulated.Came out in Two wheel drive but rodeo has good winter rear tyres.Pissed down with rain as I came through Myrtlefird about an hour ago.....Skiers and borders report that conditions are heavy and not to crash hot for turning.we saw a dude come in from Cleve Cole. He described conditions up Top as full on....very windy with very limited visibility.

ecowain, Ziggy and skifree like this.