Trip Report Bogong High Plains 5 day hike.Nov.5th to 9th 2021

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Bears waiting till somebody reports in as to whether table survived recent fires?Half hours walk from McNamaras......finding start of track coming the other way fairly easy now!

AC60D64C-6522-4C36-A6C5-E498B8A10AF8.png

776678DE-3DD8-4E15-B441-FAE62A776433.png

C33B4A09-306D-47BD-B519-845BA98A6A2F.png

098F690C-B6D9-4C7A-B096-50D826DE00DD.png

Reactions: Fozzie Bear

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Sorry for highjacking Mr Ts report .The area as remarked on by Boodwah at the top of Paling Spur is very interesting and away from the AWT.Snow Gum stands are amazing and very old.Some very big beautiful old snow gums in those grassy saddles overlooking Mt Loch and Hotham

Roger Mexico

Hard Yards
Jul 15, 2015
Hi Mr Tee,
thanks for the trip report. Thanks VSG for the cartography.
My friend and I are walking the loop later this week- in reverse with a couple of embellishments. So the beta is great.
Makes me think this is much better than the proposed "Falls to Hotham" route:
It's a loop starting and ending at a location with parking and infrastructure
Lots of interesting historic moments, huts, hydro, bush rangers etc
Side trip to Mt Bogong
easy bail out to Falls Creek for those who find themselves over-committed.
Grey Hills is dramatic
RMex

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Hi Mr Tee,
thanks for the trip report. Thanks VSG for the cartography.
My friend and I are walking the loop later this week- in reverse with a couple of embellishments. So the beta is great.
Makes me think this is much better than the proposed "Falls to Hotham" route:
It's a loop starting and ending at a location with parking and infrastructure
Lots of interesting historic moments, huts, hydro, bush rangers etc
Side trip to Mt Bogong
easy bail out to Falls Creek for those who find themselves over-committed.
Grey Hills is dramatic
RMex
I will walk a circuit of Mt. Bogong next month including the T spur.
I can only carry 5 nights or so worth of food before my pack becomes redonkulously heavy. I have warned you about Black Possum Spur track.
It has been cleared and tagged with yellow tape. It is still almost vertical :-0. My knees did not enjoy that at all.
Anyway I am glad you enjoyed my trip report.
Bits of that hike were tough but overall it was exactly what my friend and I needed after such a long lockdown. It was scenic, adventurous, therapeutic and cathartic.
The Junction Picnic ground has flushing toilet that works. That gets a tick from me.

Last edited:
Reactions: neilmny and Boodwah

slotele

Addicted
Jun 3, 2016
I can only carry 5 nights or so worth of food before my pack becomes redonkulously heavy. I have warned you about Black Possum Spur track.
You have almost answered my question in the negative with that statement. Do you have some yummy, light weight vego recipes for the trail?

If BPT is not great going would you think the trail from Bogong Village that goes over little Spion & Spion would make a better loop?

Roger Mex, sounds like you are doing a variation of the 100km loop from the Alpine Challenge, looking forward to the TR

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
You have almost answered my question in the negative with that statement. Do you have some yummy, light weight vego recipes for the trail?

If BPT is not great going would you think the trail from Bogong Village that goes over little Spion & Spion would make a better loop?

Roger Mex, sounds like you are doing a variation of the 100km loop from the Alpine Challenge, looking forward to the TR
The Creek crossing at the bottom of the Spion Kopje fire trail needs to become a known quantity if you are doing this before Xmas . If Rocky Valley Creek is flowing high and fast after heavy rain then avoiding it is wise.
The other way from Mt. Arthur/ Spion Kopje is down Mt. Arthur to the old helipad at Bogong Creek saddle. From there you can follow the fire trails and the old tramway & aqueduct to emerge at Clover Arboretum. That is about 3 kms down the Falls Creek road from Bogong Village.
It is longer but has many water points and shade.
The Grey Hills have very little shade , a gazillion ants and NO WATER points.You won't see many people out on the Grey hills and the track has been cut back which makes it easy to follow .
FOOD I used on this trek .
I have taken to using less trangier fuel and making lighter veg. dinners by collecting dried vegetables and dried soybean curd knots which you can obtain from East Asian grocery shops.

You can get dried/dehydrated peas from Coles stupor markets for $2 per packet.

Add dried fried shallots, dried fried garlic, dried chillies, dried mushrooms and make up portions in seal top bags. Boil them in not too much water and then add Cous cous. Put the lid on the pot and let the cous cous fluff up and absorb the water. You will know if you have made soup instead of fluffy cous cous.
Add salt and Ghee. You can get Maharaja's choice brand Ghee in a plastic jar . Adding ghee( clarified butter) makes this dish very tasty.
Now it is ready to eat.
The DIY noodle soup I made has the same dried ingredients, quick cooking noodles and from the Indian shop SAMBAR Powder ( about one table spoon per noodle soup) . Add ghee and soy sauce ( the plastic fish shaped take away soy sauce portions in plastic are very handy for this).
Be sure to use plenty of water so that the broth at the end is tasty and thin enough to scoff down easily once you have eaten the noodles and other ingredients.
I use a trangier so I got through 3/4 of a 1 Litre bottle of methylated spirits on this 5 day trek.
I tend to boil water for powdered milk with home made sugar free muesli and a cup of black tea in the morning. The Breakfast of champion ski tourers and bushwalkers :) .

Reactions: VSG and slotele

slotele

Addicted
Jun 3, 2016
yeah, I suppose the creek crossing does make it much more dependent on creek flow.
Borrowing a dehydrator this week and going to try and dehy some dahl and panner, see how that goes. Hadn't thought about taking ghee, makes sense, good energy and easier than a bottle of oil.
I try to take the least I can and move faster and longer, getting enough fuel is the trickiest part trying to stay away from sugar based stuff.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
The Creek crossing at the bottom of the Spion Kopje fire trail needs to become a known quantity if you are doing this before Xmas . If Rocky Valley Creek is flowing high and fast after heavy rain then avoiding it is wise.
The other way from Mt. Arthur/ Spion Kopje is down Mt. Arthur to the old helipad at Bogong Creek saddle. From there you can follow the fire trails and the old tramway & aqueduct to emerge at Clover Arboretum. That is about 3 kms down the Falls Creek road from Bogong Village.
It is longer but has many water points and shade.
The Grey Hills have very little shade , a gazillion ants and NO WATER points.You won't see many people out on the Grey hills and the track has been cut back which makes it easy to follow .
FOOD I used on this trek .
I have taken to using less trangier fuel and making lighter veg. dinners by collecting dried vegetables and dried soybean curd knots which you can obtain from East Asian grocery shops.

You can get dried/dehydrated peas from Coles stupor markets for $2 per packet.

Add dried fried shallots, dried fried garlic, dried chillies, dried mushrooms and make up portions in seal top bags. Boil them in not too much water and then add Cous cous. Put the lid on the pot and let the cous cous fluff up and absorb the water. You will know if you have made soup instead of fluffy cous cous.
Add salt and Ghee. You can get Maharaja's choice brand Ghee in a plastic jar . Adding ghee( clarified butter) makes this dish very tasty.
Now it is ready to eat.
The DIY noodle soup I made has the same dried ingredients, quick cooking noodles and from the Indian shop SAMBAR Powder ( about one table spoon per noodle soup) . Add ghee and soy sauce ( the plastic fish shaped take away soy sauce portions in plastic are very handy for this).
Be sure to use plenty of water so that the broth at the end is tasty and thin enough to scoff down easily once you have eaten the noodles and other ingredients.
I use a trangier so I got through 3/4 of a 1 Litre bottle of methylated spirits on this 5 day trek.
I tend to boil water for powdered milk with home made sugar free muesli and a cup of black tea in the morning. The Breakfast of champion ski tourers and bushwalkers :) .
Nice report. Nice advice.

Been eating dehydrated "food" in the bc for over four decades. Always promises to get better..... nah.

Cheers

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
yeah, I suppose the creek crossing does make it much more dependent on creek flow.
Borrowing a dehydrator this week and going to try and dehy some dahl and panner, see how that goes. Hadn't thought about taking ghee, makes sense, good energy and easier than a bottle of oil.
I try to take the least I can and move faster and longer, getting enough fuel is the trickiest part trying to stay away from sugar based stuff.
I eat a lot of ALDI trail mix. The one that is pre made from just mixed nuts and dried fruit. It is my go to snack for bushwalking and ski touring.
If you cook basmati rice, red lentils and dehydrated peas and dried fried garlic together in one pot then adding salt and ghee also makes it resemble food. Cooking Rice uses more stove fuel than cous cous or noodles do.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass