1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Bogong High Plains Day Trip

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Chaeron, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

On Sunday I did a short & relaxed trip out of Falls - about 18km.

I left a bit late - leaving Windy Corner around 10.00 and was back at the resort at 4.30. I cheated - Falls Express lift on the way out and Ruined Castle lift on the way in.

I had a heavy day pack around 10kg, because I was unsure of conditions, but the visibility and the conditions held out.

No boilerplate yet, but not much soft fresh snow either, but some nice moments of fresh on lee slopes.

I was aiming for Westons hut, but wasted time having to traverse on the flat to get over the stream flowing into Pretty Valley Reservoir, so cut across to the Tawonga Huts.

Next time I’ll cut across the Rocky Knolls more towards the Cope side to avoid the stream.

There are some lovely lines heading into the Kiewa valley on the slopes between Westons and Tawonga huts - all within easy reach of the resort (1.5 hours skinning).

The Fainters are looking very tempting.

Mount Cope and Mount Jim really aid as good orientating landmarks when McKay and Feathertop are covered in cloud - no need to break out the GPS.

Only one winter entry in the Tawonga hut logbook - but LOTS of skidoo trails all over, and some cross country tracks around ( herringbone and skating marks)

Mount Jim: Victoria’s 5th highest mountain:

Mount Cope:

Mount Jim closer up

Approximate route:

The Fainters, from the slopes above the Tawonga Huts, near the Memorial beacon.

Attached Files:

seak, GS, mr and 16 others like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks for the report.

Jim's supposed to have a magnetic anomaly - haven't tried a compass on it myself.

Skidoos go out the Tawonga Huts side for training. Police were up there last week.
    There's some sweet bowls between the Huts and the ridge top, from where you get a great view of the eastern flank of Feathertop.

Chaeron and Rick Ross Da Boss like this.
  3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Nice Photos.Mt. Jim is NOT Victoria's 5 th highest peak. It stands at 1818 M. so many other peaks in the area are higher than that pimple on the plateau is.
    I think It goes in this order: Mt Bogong, Mt FT, Mt Nelse west( Un named peak ), Mt. Fainter , Mt.Loch, Mt.Hotham, Mt.Mckay, Mt . Hotham ,Spion Kopje, . Mt. Cope, Mt . Jim, Mt.Buller etc. All above 1800 M. ASL.
    I plan to get out that way namely Pretty Valley hut and Tawonga Huts during August.

Bogong and Chaeron like this.
  4. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us

5. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Jaithmathang comes before Mc kay.

Chaeron likes this.
  6. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Mister Tee has that list more or less right. Over the years The Fainters and Mt Loch have swapped the number 4 and 5 spots after almost every survey, but Fainter South seems to have been number 4 for a couple of decades now.

Cobberas No. 1, The Niggerheads (aka J-thing), Marum Point / Hollands Knob (twin summits of the same hill) and Cooper Memorial hill are also over 1800 metres. There are between 30 and 34 places named Mount or Peak (plus The Bluff and The Twins) that are over 1700 metres in Victoria, depending on which survey you read.

EDIT. Just saw the list Rick posted,
    • I don't think you can count several high points on Bogong, Nelse , Fainters, etc as those high points are all on the same 'eminence'. I just say Mt Bogong, Nelse North West and The Fainters.
    • Those heights are lower than any list I've seen before, but as I said above, Loch and Fainters have swapped places for the 4th highest slot many times after many surveys, so the heights of peaks have always fluctuated a bit.
    • Some rather OCD people have tried to define a separate mountain as having a dip of so many hundred metres between peaks. At best that's awkward and artificial, so I've always stuck with 'eminences' that are clearly separate from their neighbours and named Mount or Peak (plus The Bluff and The Twins).

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Oh Yes, I forgot about " Mt. You Ate my Tongue"
    a.k.a .
    Mt. PC or melanin enhanced crania ;-P . That is about 1840 M ASL or so. I still think Mt. Buller is in the 1800 M. club. , but only just. Isn't High Knob on the Razor Back also in the 1800 M. club too ?

8. Bogong

It usually is, but I once saw it quoted as 1798 metres. However it's usually stated to be in the 1803 - 1805 range.

Chaeron likes this.
  9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Is Molly Hill allowed to be the in the 1800 M . club?

10. Hully

Hully One of Us

In 2017 my then 7yo son (with me in support) set out to climb the 10 highest peaks in Victoria, which he did as a DWA fundraiser. Discounting multiple peaks on the same mountain/hill we settled on this list:
    Mt Bogong 1986m Mt Feathertop 1922m Mt Nelse 1884m Mt Fainter 1882m Mt Loch 1875m Mt Hotham 1868m Mt Jaithmatang 1852m Mt McKay 1842m Mt Cope 1837m Spion Kopje 1836m

Re Mt Jaithmatang....it's previous name was insulting from the outset, just that in that era aboriginals weren't recognised as equal humans and pretty much happy if white man wasn't shooting them. Time that those who are hanging on to the offensive original name to move on. Jaithmatang....it's not that hard to remember or recognise.

teletripper, neilmny, Chaeron and 3 others like this.
  11. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Flat

Chaeron likes this.
  12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

What about the un named knoll a.k.a . Mt.Nelse west ? ( 1892 M.ASL )

13. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I always thought Bogong was 1986m or thereabouts.

Bogong likes this.
  14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

This is No. 3, the third highest point in Victoria.
    1892 M. ASL.
    I was up there in January 2019.

15. Bogong

I have to politely disagree.

When Mt Niggerhead was first named, the 'N' word didn't have the negative connotations it only acquired after we began to import American culture in the 20th century. Rather at the time it just meant a black person without implied judgement either way. It is an apt name because seen from the Stony Tops area, there is a black face discernible among the cliffs.

Now of course, we all have the right to our own views, so I would never be intolerant and criticise people who see things differently. But to me almost any new name is symptomatic of city bureaucrats and inner urban lobbyists with no sense of heritage or history. As someone with a lifelong love of mountain history and who has won a few minor awards for writing about it, new names for any place are likely to be city based impositions upon the heritage, culture and history of a rural location.

16. Hully

Hully One of Us

So your saying that '******' didn't have negative connotations until the 20th century. It was a derogative form of the word negro from the American slave era. Are you suggesting that it's use in colonial Australia had no negative reference to people with dark skin? It was an insulting term them and is now.....

Note: the use of ****** in my response is an automatic filter, not my typing.

teletripper likes this.
  17. Hully

Hully One of Us

I'm in my mid 50s, was raised in a conservative right leaning middle class family, I live in the country, I've had a lifelong love and connection with mountains and the Victorian High Country in particular..... I'm glad they changed the name.

teletripper and Dr_Phil like this.
  18. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Following this logic, I guess abolishing slavery was also an example of doing something with “no sense of heritage or history”

teletripper, Ziggy and Hully like this.
  19. Dr_Phil

Dr_Phil Hard Yards

Thanks for the trip report - I appreciate the photos of current conditions

Chaeron likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Lots of place names are being given over to the original owners to change.

It's a recognition of their rights and the history of dispossession.

teletripper, Chaeron and skifree like this.
  21. Bogong

I'm often surprised at what hurts me. I can be very strong and resilient at struggling against harsh and unfair odds, but yet the slight implication from Hully and emkae that I might be racist and/or distorting things left me rather disturbed.

So I'll explain just to demonstrate that I am the opposite of what was implied. (with apologies for digressing from the subject of this thread). I studied history at uni as a second major to the commerce and business subjects that would actually get me a job. At the time I went along with the standard youthful political activist thought that most white people in 19th century Victoria were racist or snobs or at the least condescending to other ethnic groups.

But the more of the original primary material from that time like newspapers, government records and letters that I read, the more mid 19th century photos and lithographs I saw, the more recordings I heard of people who lived at the time, the more I saw the vast majority of our forebears in Victoria as caring and helpful towards ethnic minorities. I could write pages on this, but I'll summarise it in a shortish paragraph.

On the goldfields, Maoris and black Americans integrated almost seamlessly into the mass of diggers. Yes, they were treated a little differently, but no more so than other foreigners like Germans or Italians or Danes. A black American was one of the rebels at Eureka and at his trial in Melbourne the jury was unanimous in acquitting him and afterwards he was almost treated like a hero of the ordinary people. Problems between the diggers and Chinese were mostly due to a total lack of communication, not innate bigotry, I'll explain why if asked. On farms, poor selectors gave jobs to aborigines who asked for work, occasionally they came across aborigines who hadn't even slightly integrated into this new way of life and most went out of their way to help them with food and other assistance. 99% saw it as their "christian duty" or the less religious described it as their role as decent and respectable people to help those who were clearly struggling.

In short, there was very little discrimination against minority ethnic groups in 19th century Victoria, instead most people went out of their way to help them get onto their feet. Our forebears were actually good and caring people and very, very few were the type of baddies that are disproportionately talked about these days. I hope people don't vilify me for going against the prevailing views and advocating an alternate view. :)

22. Ziggy

mr and piolet like this.
  23. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us

Well that morphed into a different thread quickly....

Hully likes this.
  24. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

This appears to be an ever increasing problem. Note @Boodwah's last report. A couple of years back they destroyed any skiable track from Fitz's hut to the aqueduct forcing us in and out of the trees, under branches etc. My suspicion is the SES is bored. Love to catch them doing it. Distractions aside, great report as per usual. Some admonishment for those hijacking it who should have known better. For once it wasn't me.

Hully, Chaeron, Wally and 1 other person like this.
  25. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I was having lunch near the Pretty Valley Causeway last Thursday when no less than 12 skidoos went past. There were a few SES and a lot of unmarked vehicles. Apparently they were heading off for a training exercise for a few days at Tawonga huts. They looked to be carrying a fair bit of gear, possibly some nice wine and whisky, wished I have could have joined them. One of the SES guys stopped and asked me if I was camping out (I do carry a large daypack) and I said no was heading back to Falls and had a GPS and a bivi bag etc. He complemented on my good choice of gear, i.e. RAB Equipment then went on his merry way. I thought it was really nice of him to stop and ask how I was getting on, a bit of a contrast to a lot of XC skiers these days who just ski on, head down!

26. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am going to buy a mini space blanket bivi bag tomorrow or on Monday. You just don't know when it might save your life when solo XC ski touring .
    If we get this dump of snow next Friday then it will be all systems go for XC ski touring out there for the next month .
    :)