BoM weather maps are still drawn by hand. Who knew?

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
wow!

I can see the obviously strong link between drawing your own and being a better meteorologist, but it's hard to imagine that it can continue as a relied-upon method for media publishing going forward - way too labour intensive.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Thank fark. The world is full of numpties blindly accepting computer output as undisputably correct - even when it is so clearly incorrect - of implies detail which goes way beyond it's usefulness or the accuracy of the data it is based on.

Reactions: piolet and nfip

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Thank fark. The world is full of numpties blindly accepting computer output as undisputably correct - even when it is so clearly incorrect - of implies detail which goes way beyond it's usefulness or the accuracy of the data it is based on.
Yeah I kinda feel that way too, which is why I posted. A bit of data, a bit of vibe, a bit of humanity. Me likey

Reactions: nfip

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Base data vectors i.e pressure points / dot points appears printed? Joining the dots to form Isobars done by hand.

Last edited:

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
We teach this to first year physical geography students. As mentioned, it's a good way to get them to actually pay attention and think about data from individual stations.

Didn't realise BoM was still hand-drawing maps operationally though, cool to see. Wonder if the Metservice here in NZ do the same.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass