1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Bomber BMF binding: Any thoughts, tests, purchase plans?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by snowgum, Sep 18, 2017.

1. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

These new bindings (below) look great in all the glossy company media:

They could be a good way to transition from 75mm to NTN in the next few years, while maintaining down performance, with the R model helping the Up (free pivot).

I'd be interested on any thoughts ('they're not cheap or light' come to mind)

Ps: my main resort set up is a Oldish Rossi PowderBird (83mm), Hheads & Garmont Synergy.

https://bishopbindings.com/collections/telemark-bindings/products/bmf-r-telemark-binding

2. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Looks really interesting but the lack of responses suggests that not many have experience with these. Which bindings are you currently using? I was looking to pick up 2nd hand Axls but the deal did not eventuate. Still very happy with T2eco boots. Maybe a more modern design might be the way to go.

3. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I used to think the old bombers were great, until I started using other bindings, they were pretty on off. Nice bit of metal work though.

Not real interested in recapturing the heel.

4. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I would be interested, but I'm more interested in lighter NTN options.

PS if i need to do something like a Rotty Freeride then I would be looking hard at the Bomber alternative.

5. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Howdy CC,

As above I'm currently on Rossi PowderBirds with HHeads & Garmint SynerGies, so Beefish for Tele - not nuts though!

FWIW - the rest of my gear (BC & Xc) is good Ol Voile release and a variety of Voile bindings inc Hardwire & really old Voile 3?pin & cable (spring & hooks) with Excursions.

All the above works ok - does its job.

But I've had he fortune to find some K2Seth Annexes's (148, 118, 135?) in a handy 181 cm - second hand, good Nic too. Total weight ex bindings is almost 5 kg so it's a hefty ski (I'm not light so that's good I guess! )

So this monster will really be 90% inbounds maybe 10% soft Hotham side country.
    Unless I ever get fit again and do Bogong, F'Top, Main range West Fall.

I can't really budget on new boots right now - even the binding is a push. So I figured the Bishop BMF-R provides the means to transition from beefy 75 to beefy NTN & still allow a free tour mode for the odd BC day. No other binding I know off covers both boot formats

On top of the $1k for a new boot - I've done a lot to my boots over the last 3 years, custom beds, Intuition liners & reheating, power straps etc... & these babies are much more comfy than when new 12 years ago.

So t don't want to retire the SynerGs fore quite a while - hence see BMF-R.

I don't know if that sounds logical / reasonable? - it does to me for now at least!

I could also swap the HHeads over to the Seth & then maybe get an Axl or similar for my Rossi ?- As a BTW: this plank will remain my main lift ski for firm snow days. (As if!!)

6. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

The BMF is the poorest option for a NTN binding. The greatest strength of NTN is the shorter leaver of the achieved with the duckbutt (midsole) attachment. Its why the meijdo skis so much better than TTS.

The BMF is also going to hold telemark back. For telemark to catch up to AT it needs boot innovation. That innovation isn't going to happen before 75mm dies and boot manufacturers only have to make boots for the one binding standard. The BMF is only going to extend the life of 75mm and hold back the sport.

You've only done to your boots what I do when ever I buy a new pair (about every 3 to 4 years for me). If you aren't going to change boots save some money and but a pair of Axls or Swithcback X2s. If you want to go NTN then get some new boots and if you want a resort binding with some BC use get a pair of Outlaws to mount on your new K2s.