1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Boot widening / shell punching - Vic - 3 questions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Will_P, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Will_P

Will_P Hard Yards

I've been getting increasing worse foot pain from a Morton's neuroma the last few years, and have been advised to get the very widest (in the forefoot) footwear I can.

My La Sportiva Spectra AT boots still have a lot of life in them, and I've got a couple of weeks backcountry skiing in NZ planned for early September. So I'm keen to see if I can get the shell blown out.

1) Does anyone know of anywhere in Victoria that does this well?

2) Failing that, any DIY instructions or links would be appreciated.

3) Failing that, what's the widest AT boot you know of?

4) And in case of 3, if anyone wants to buy a pair of 3 year old LS Spectres, 27.5, with plenty of life left (but the cuff strap replaced with a Booster strap) for a couple of hundred bucks (negotiable), get in touch.

Thanks in advance, Will.

2. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

3. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us

AJAYS in the east

Chaeron likes this.
  4. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Which model? Is it the 2.0.
    The plastic in that has some movement as long as you get someone who knows what they are doing.
    Aussie Skier or the Bumps folks are your best 2 options in Melb probably.

Chaeron likes this.
  5. Rick Ross Da Boss

No love for the boot lab??

6. Ryan W Kan

Ryan W Kan Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

They don't do "non boot purchase" appointment and you're told to just go and wait (even for boots purchased from them). They also only have 1 guy working there (I'm not dropping names). So you can expect a looong wait. I gave up going back there and went ahead to pay the guys at Yogi (falls creek) to do some punching on my boots even though Boot Lab have a lifetime fit guarantee.

Paying other shops to do the punching is way cheaper than taking a day off work for any boot work. The last time took ~3.5hrs, in the middle of a weekday, most of it being waiting time.

Chaeron likes this.
  7. Rick Ross Da Boss

Funny you say that, a mate went there a couple of weeks ago and was met with disinterest and attitude so that’s the end of that. Sent him to my local at AJAYS and got it all sorted in no time, olly knows his stuff:thumbs:

Barras, Ryan W Kan and Chaeron like this.
  8. Crawf

Crawf Hard Yards

Is this a consistent theme?? I was trying to narrow my choice of bootfitter down for my next pair. Was looking at either Foot Pro or the Boot Lab.
    My current boot was from Surefoot (when the AUD was at parity), and have been relatively happy, just feel I may have improved my skiing a fair bit and require a little more performance now. Unlikely to be visiting a resort with Surefoot again any time soon, and the current pricing has scared me off.

Rick Ross Da Boss and Chaeron like this.
  9. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

If your looking to DIY bootwork, this series of videos is an excellent place to start. He's a typical no BS Aussie, telling you how it should be. There are something like 30 videos, all dealing with different aspects. It's the best online boot mod series I have found.

r.kenno, mauricem and Dumphfish like this.
  10. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

Just for balance I went to the Boot Lab a couple of months back. I've never had comfortable ski boots in my entire life and thought it wasn't possible - my feet are super-wide near the toes and a very narrow heel so a total nightmare to fit properly. I even get pain in snowboard boots, let alone ski boots. Have tried plenty of other places and just dealt with the pain of ski boots despite multiple punching out, footbeds etc etc. This season I'm skiing in comfort for the first time in my life and the boots actually fit as well (ie not just over-sized to compensate). Yes, I think you need to purchase your boots there - not sure they do alterations to pre-bought boots - but by god the guy there knows his stuff and would not stop until we got it right.

No doubt the others mentioned on this thread do a great job too, but just relating my experience for the benefit of anyone interested who has challenging feet to fit into ski boots.

11. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

If you’re going to NZ and will be in Queenstown go to Small Planet. They sell LaSportiva and are miles ahead of anyone for AT boot mods.

12. craighelo

craighelo One of Us

If in NZ hard to go past Jason at Sole Lab, he doesn't sell boots https://solelab.co.nz/

Ziggy likes this.
  13. Will_P

Will_P Hard Yards

Thanks for the various suggestions, people. But, as usual, it's Auski to the rescue - I didn't even get halfway through describing what I needed and why, and Richard and Gabi were all 'no problem, bring them in, it'll take 24 hours, $30'. So while I'm yet to pick them up (or, obviously, ski in them and see if it's made any difference) - if anyone else is asking the question 'where can I get my shells punched in Victoria?', you can add Auski in Hardware Lane to the list. And going by some of the anecdotes here, it's worth mentioning that they're friendly, efficient, and cheap.

FatBoyDave likes this.