Breckenridge?

Wardy

One of Us
Jun 7, 2010
The edge of the bell curve
So we’re pivoting from Canada to US in January and we’ve purchased Epic passes already. Thinking that Breck would make a good base but never been there. Party of advanced skiers who have skied in many Nth American resorts inc Crested and Telluride (neither really an option this time, although CB a maybe…). Question is, is there a best area in Breck or surrounds to look for accom for family vibes, as opposed to party vibes? Walk to town is probably a good thing. Supplementary question; is Breck the best option? As opposed to Beaver Ck or Keystone for example. Three week trip, budget in the mid range. Thanks in advance for any intel :thumbs:

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
over50skifitness.blogspot.com
How late in January? Snow coverage is pretty low in the Rockies right now.

As I understand it (never had Epic pass), Beaver Creek and Keystone are not resorts that advanced skiers with Epic consider for destination ski trip in Colorado. More likely to ski at Vail than BC. Or Crested Butte.

Would you consider Tahoe instead? Have heard good things about Kirkwood. Lodging probably easier to find around Heavenly. Although perhaps Colorado is going to end up with better snow conditions once it starts snowing again in the next week or so.

Wardy

One of Us
Jun 7, 2010
The edge of the bell curve
How late in January? Snow coverage is pretty low in the Rockies right now.

As I understand it (never had Epic pass), Beaver Creek and Keystone are not resorts that advanced skiers with Epic consider for destination ski trip in Colorado. More likely to ski at Vail than BC. Or Crested Butte.

Would you consider Tahoe instead? Have heard good things about Kirkwood. Lodging probably easier to find around Heavenly. Although perhaps Colorado is going to end up with better snow conditions once it starts snowing again in the next week or so.
Never as late as I'd like... 5th - 21st. Sierras not an option; Colorado or bust.

Reactions: MarzNC

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Had a Breck trip a few years back, arrived late Dec for 3 weeks. We had an Airbnb up on the hill overlooking the resort, Boreas pass rd? It was serviced by a free bus which ran half hourly during peak and hourly after. Once in the village there were free buses which travelled to Keystone and A Basin and Frisco. We skied at Keystone and enjoyed the slopes and the village but snow fall was late that year and Breck had the most cover, so mainly skied there. We caught Ubers around a bit, grocery shopping and day trip to Frisco.

We enjoyed Breck, would return. Finances dictated our accommodation choice, on snow or in town would be my preference if $$ aren’t an issue.

Reactions: Wardy

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
If you stay in Breck and you plan on skiing a lot of what Summit and Eagle Counties have to offer, you're going to be doing plenty of driving. I assume you'll have a car, needed to get the most out of this area. It's a 45 min drive from Breck to Vail in perfect conditions.

You'll get more bang for your buck accommodation wise by staying much more centrally in Frisco, or maybe Dillon or Silverthorne than at one end of the ski area in Breck. Frisco seemed a very good family option when I stayed a few nights 15 years ago. Those 3 places are towns, not ski resorts, so no ski in/ski out like you might have had at CB and Telluride. Frisco to Vail and Arapahoe Basin are less than 30 mins, Frisco to Breck and Copper about 10-15 mins.

summitcounty.gif

Reactions: Wardy
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass