1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Bridger & Big Sky 19th-27th March 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by LDJ, Mar 10, 2020.

1. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

1st ski trip to USA. Locked in flights from Brisbane to Bozeman will arrive on 19th March ski 2 days in Bridger and 5 days in Big Sky with my wife and my dad (Flying in from England). Corona could still de-rail us if US decides to shut borders or we have to isolate ourselves before then but for now its all steam ahead. Haven't unpacked yet from last weeks trip to 3Vs in France so am already well prepared for 19th March leave. Thanks to all the forum members for tips so far and information. This will be 3rd trip of the year so interested to see how USA compares to France & Japan where I have skied a lot.

Undies, Kletterer and skifree like this.
  2. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

I’m obviously still jet lagged :rolleyes: posted this in the wrong thread. I can’t seem to move it. Can any of the mods put this into US thread

3. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator

Done.

LDJ likes this.
  4. Undies

Undies Pizza! Ski Pass: Gold

3rd trip of the year? I want your life.

5. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

It has been a good year as we have been celebrating dads 70th bday with lots of trips but I have managed to make it fit around work and life so now I'm thinking 3 trips of 7-10 days per trip is doable each year :)

6. Zeroz

Zeroz A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Pack an av. transceiver.

At Bridger there's a beacon check to get on Schlasman’s lift to access the fun Ridge area.
    At Big Sky you need it plus backpack/shovel/probe, partner, and patrol signout to access Big Couloir.

Neither are super difficult. I assume the requirements are to protect the inept and/or over-confident.

7. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

useful to know. My wife and I have all of this covered. Dad will need to hire or meet us at the next lift.

8. Zeroz

Zeroz A Local Ski Pass: Gold

This was yesterday. Conditions look good. This is a pretty steep and a ballsy line.

LDJ likes this.
  9. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

Crap. With trumps new european ban my trip to the 3Vs last week means I can’t go to the US until at least 21st March. This could be painful would have to change a lot of flights, Lift passes, accom etc. going to talk to travel insurance and then make a call on moving dates or scrapping trip. This sucks

10. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Millions of people around the world are having to cancel trips - sucks but you’re not alone! Ask yourself what would happen if you ended up in hospital with COVID-19 in the states.

11. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Not sure pandemics are covered :(

12. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

Shortest TR ever. Unfortunately trip cancelled. With visa restrictions we were going for a shortened 6 days as of yesterday but now there are rumours of stopping anyone who been to Uk and possibly Aus before we go and that some ski resorts are closing or shutting lifts so have pulled plug. Have lost money but that’s life however some of the businesses have been great and have agreed to refunds even though they didn’t have to. I’ll definitely be recommending them if the money is returned. Have to spend the time planning next years trips instead...

13. euexp

euexp Hard Yards

14. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yep, good call on the trip. You were absolutely right.

15. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

any news on your mum ? is she safe

16. euexp

euexp Hard Yards

So far still safe , how lucky today we have the technology to keep in touch with video calls

Crystal likes this.