1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Bright to Mt Hotham on Alps Link PTV Bus

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by RTL, Oct 9, 2018.

1. RTL

RTL Hard Yards

Quick note to on an outstanding service. Took the bus (actually a coach) up for a day of skiing at Mt Hotham last Friday. One adult and two kids Bright to Hotham return cost me $56. If I drove, resort entry alone would have cost me $50.

Left Bright at 7:15am, and got to Hotham Central at 8:35am (scheduled to arrive 8:45am). Skis and backpack go in the cargo hold.
    Handed the cash to the driver and away we went.
    Pick up at Hotham Central 5:50pm, back in Bright at 7pm (scheduled to return 7:10pm).

Unfortunately the service only runs Sunday, Wednesday and Friday in the ski season. Surprised to see it not better utilised given the value of the fare. Maybe if it was better utilised, they would run it more days or even every day.

Fare information http://dysongroup.com.au/alps-link (note does not include the $18 adult and $8.50 child resort entry which you pay to the bus driver)
    Timetable information at https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/route/view/1991

#1 RTL, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    currawong likes this.
  2. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I've used it outside the ski season and the cost from Bright to Hotham was... $5.
    The cheapest travel in the mountains.

nezumi and Chaeron like this.
  3. Sue222

Sue222 First Runs

Thanks for the tip. I just booked my seats for July but feel somewhat nervous as no money taken and they send no confirmation. Travelling with kids and don’t want to end up with family angry that bus did not have seats for us after all. I can’t believe the price difference between this and any other coaches going to Hotham!

nezumi and Bogong like this.
  4. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

I used it a couple of times last year. Great service !

Sue222 and Chaeron like this.
  5. Sue222

Sue222 First Runs

Do you know if there is anywhere in particular you can park in Bright? Or just anywhere not marked?

6. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

I used the free overnight parking opposite from the Velo Hotel

Sue222 likes this.
  7. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

How long are you going for? If just a day or weekend I would consider the big parking area in Centenary Park near the river or behind the community centre. I'm not sure if there are restrictions but I don't think so. @Mufts?

Sue222 likes this.
  8. Sue222

Sue222 First Runs

Going for a week.

9. nezumi

nezumi Addicted

It's a shame that this is the only "public transport" option for accessing the mountains - but on the other hand, at least this exists as an option.

I was looking at the possibility of heading to Hotham for the Backcountry festival - this bus would be a key link in that process if I decided to go.

10. Mufts

Mufts Potato Ski Pass: Gold

Both options are good and lit at night also. Personally, I would just park it in a residential street so it fits in a little better than a week sitting in a car park.

The Plowking, Sue222 and currawong like this.
  11. RTL

RTL Hard Yards

That was my experience. They just took my name and number of people, and when I met the bus driver, he just looked me up on his passengers sheet of paper, crossed off my name, took payment and issued me a return paper ticket.

Sue222 likes this.
  12. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

13. nezumi

nezumi Addicted

It's Wed/Fri/Sun. Friday and Sunday make sense if people are using it for the most common changeover days for the resorts, but a daily service would be great for accommodation in Harrietville.

14. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Whoops! So it is. Truthfully I don't think PTV would have put any thought in to change over days in doing the schedule, but who knows.

15. currawong

it's a through service to omeo isn't it? I thought skiers were just lucky beneficiaries of a service designed for residents and general travellers

Bogong likes this.
  16. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Needs a late Friday night option (e.g. after 7pm) from Harrietville. I assume none of the providers offer this (I hope I'm wrong though).

17. nezumi

nezumi Addicted

I think that this is the case, however it still stands that having a frequent service is a key component of this - at least daily would be better.

On the mountain-users front, the vehicles used and the service itself makes explicit provision for transport of snowsports equipment, so it's not like they are ignorant of the patronage they service

18. currawong

As far as i know, hotham is the only vic ski resort with a ptv service. The justification is linking omeo and bright. Otherwise there is no way they would be allowed to "compete" with private coaches. Ptv often do not have daily services in the country.

nezumi likes this.
  19. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I've used the Hotham - Omeo bus outside the ski season, and the through traffic is very low. Some people from places like Harrietville use it to have a half day shopping trip to Bright, but in May I've been one of only 4 people on a full size bus going up the mountain and I got off at Hotham.

As a form of public transport for locals, it's hard to justify even the current level of service. The fact that tourists use it in winter is nice, but they are not who the service was designed for.

#19 Bogong, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    nezumi and currawong like this.
  20. Sue222

Sue222 First Runs

Does it get used heaps(booked out) by tourists in winter?

Does anyone know if there are luggage limits allowed on the ptv? If so what are the limits?

21. RTL

RTL Hard Yards

My impression is that as long as it fits in the cargo hold of the coach, it is allowed.No problems taking my skis and backpack. It is a coach and not a suburban bus, so there is a proper coach sized (big) cargo hold like you would see on a Hoys or Vline coach. Give them a call if in doubt.

As far as utilisation goes, I can tell you that on the last Friday of the season, the number of people on it could be counted on one or two hands.