1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Bright to Mt Hotham via Omeo

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by Harkin Banks, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Harkin Banks

Harkin Banks Hard Yards

Hey all. Heading down to Hotham for the first time in a while on Friday. Will be staying at Bright.

Looks like a lot of snow forecast whilst i'm down there. What are the chances of the road from Harrietville to Hotham being closed this weekend ?

Also if it is. I have read you can drive to Hotham via Omeo as an alternative. What route would I take to do that trip from Bright and how long would it take ?

Any other advice appreciated

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

from Bright it is a very long way. about 5 hours via mudgegonga, mitta mitta and omeo - and that's if you can get over Mt Wills on the Omeo Hwy

TBH if the harrietville approach is closed you would be better off going to Falls (more like 1.5 hrs). Or change your plans and stay in Omeo instead of Bright

3. Harkin Banks

Harkin Banks Hard Yards

Thanks for the reply Currawong. Wow 5 hours !!! Yeah no chance of doing that. So I take it the access road to Falls has a lot less chance of being closed due to snow ?

I'm there for 3 days skiing. So yeah. Might do Saturday at Falls. Then Sun/Mon at Hotham when things clear a tad.

Tanuki and currawong like this.
  4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

falls creek rd is much less exposed. fallen trees or land slips are a more common problem than blizzards. typically the road to falls gets closed once every few years. typically the harrietville approach to hotham gets closed a few times a year, or if not closed imposes convoys that mean big delays. so no guarantee that falls rd won't be closed but much less chance than hotham rd. and likely to be open much quicker. if you stay in Bright you make your choice on a day by day basis, or go winery hopping if all else fails

Chaeron likes this.
  5. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

A guess, but vaguely educated, I would say thursday night / friday morning would be the highest risk time for the GAR to close (see picture). Often it's not just the quantity of snow, but also constant winds. They can plow some of those alpine lee corners and 5 mins later there's a wind-made 2 foot speed hump covering half the road. Once the road is closed, it often takes a while to open. The wind looks to be dropping friday night, but then there'll be lots who insist on driving slow up slippery hills and fast down them which is a recipe for a driver induced blocked road. Chances are, too, you'll be putting chains on quite early (maybe halfway up, olive branch or thereabouts) given its quite a cold storm.

6. Harkin Banks

Harkin Banks Hard Yards

Thanks guys. As a worst case scenario I'm even looking at Mt Buller. Apparently around a 2 hr 50 min drive ? I've never been there. But here it's great when the snow is on. What's the road to Buller like ?

7. Boodwah

Boodwah One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Buller back to home (Melbourne) yesterday took 5 hours from door to door, dry clear road.
    Allow one hour for fart-arsing around between ticket box and chalets (either direction) and three hours from Mansfield in a congo-line of muppets.

Spyder_Man, Tanuki and The Plowking like this.
  8. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

If you’re staying in Bright driving to Buller makes little sense - 3+ hours drive. With a fresh snowfall you’d want to ski Falls or Hotham. Even if the Hotham road is closed the Falls road is likely to be open.

The ski lift pass (but not resort entry) for for Hotham is valid at Falls & vice-versa, so you can hedge your options to a degree.

Mister Tee on XC Skis and Tanuki like this.
  9. Harkin Banks

Harkin Banks Hard Yards

Agree Chaeron. But it's just a backup in case both Falls and Hotham roads are closed. Highly unlikely and I don't want to do it.
    But better than sitting the day out. Sounds like it's more likely the roads will be at their worst on Friday. Our first day is Saturday.

Thanks for the info regarding the lift passes. I didn't know that

10. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Unfortunately I think you're better off driving to falls.
    I'm almost 100% certain the roads going to be closed a good deal of time Friday Saturday and delayed opening Sunday.

11. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Falls road will be open.
    Buller road will be chaos busy.
    Hotham road will be a nightmare harrietville approach.
    Staying in Bright = Falls assuming Hotham road closed/long delays.

12. TheCheese

TheCheese Hard Yards

What are the chances of the Harrietville road closing Friday arvo round 3-4pm, I'll need to get off the hill (going to Falls), and want to get a powder day in at Hotham!

13. dr80

dr80 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

High enough to have an alternative plan...
    Still, can think of worse things than being 'stuck' at Hotham Fri - Sun

**See Plowking and Endless Winter's posts above.
    Hint - they know what they are talking about

The Plowking likes this.
  14. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Agree. A couple of years ago every front seemed to arrive friday arvo. 20 cents of snow means drifts up top around 60 cents or more.....add a bunch of after-workers and busses into the mix, one slipped set of chains and its over. And now vicroads / RMB / drivers themselves seem more conservative with less actual skill or recovery capacity. At least with the proper staffed gate there was stuff that could be done, messages sent etc

Skiain and The Plowking like this.
  15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver