1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Brindabella Snow

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by BrindiCruiser, Aug 14, 2018.

1. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

2. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Enjoyed that, but the article was clearly written by a rookie journalist with a great future in the public service.

Said it before and I'll say it again. As a journalist for 15 years (who invented the Antarctic Vortex!) weather stories are usually given to either the least capable, least experienced or least interested reporter in the newsroom. Sometimes, all three categories are the same person.

This is a travesty, as weather is the only real news, especially snow-related weather.

Anyway thx for the link Brindi.

skifree likes this.
  3. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

Canberra times runs articles about snow on the brindabellas reasonably regularly. I think there is an ongoing interest in the snow capped brindies.

4. Ramshead

Yeah, but my point is that the writer had NFI what they were talking about it. Lines like this give them away:

Notable snowfall has been rare in the ACT this year... The only real snow dump of the year before Sunday came on May 11, when Namadgi National Park was blanketed by snow.

What a load of bollocks. There have been several good dumps on Namadgi this year between the May event and this weekend's snow. Only hafta check the Corin Forest Facebook page to see that.

BrindiCruiser likes this.
  5. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

I agree. I am regular on Corin Forest Facebook site for that reason. There are some great old posts from @Kieran on this forum on skiing in the brindabellas.

Ramshead likes this.
  6. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

We have had a couple of snowfalls this year, pretty typical of these days though, nothing like the 70's-90's that I use to ski regularly. Also the article says people were up there in their 4WDs with their dogs, er, its a national park.

skifree, Ramshead and BrindiCruiser like this.
  7. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

@telecrag I just finished reading ‘Skis on brindabellas’ by Matthew Higgins. Really loved the book. It took me ages to find a copy second hand.

I have skied some do the franklin runs about 2000-ish, and keep dreaming of doing a ski tour between pryor’s hut, and Ginini.

8. telecrag

Ive skied the area a fair bit, from Bulls Head to Gingera. Abby is a nice ski on the right day. One year in the 90's we dug a pit on Ginini to make a shelter for lunch, and the base was 2m. I skied with Matthew sometimes, he was a good friend of one of my dads mates, now departed.

Haven't skied the Brindies since 2008, stopped frequenting it just after the fires, as access became more of a pain, and snow cover diminished a fair bit. Introduced many friends and family to xc skiing there, so will always have a place in my heart. One day I will forego a MR trip and get back up there.

9. Ramshead

I've got that book. Fine piece of work. I've lived in Sydney my whole adult life but grew up in Cbr and remember when they were much more chilled with the Mt Franklin Rd @telecrag. We drove all the way to Ginini once on snow in someone's mum's sedan with no chains because we were young and stupid. Made a fire on the snow and watched it sink. Good times.

A definite goal of mine is to lay tracks on the old Mt Franklin runs and to ski Gingera too. Just too hard to organise from Syd at short notice.

But the dream... ah, the dream is to ski the Tidbinbilla range after a really heavy snowfall. I've always eyed off a southeast-ish facing slope on Tidbinbilla peak or Tid mountain. I forget which is which. Anyway, the bit I circled. You'd need a super heavy snowfall, and you'd need to go that day. Prolly never happen but like I say, man gotta dream.

catzizme, telecrag and BrindiCruiser like this.
  10. zac150

zac150 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I have had the pleasure of skiing the old franklin ski run, back in the days of the chalet. +1 was doing her thing talking old buildings for hours at an open day. I had nothing better to do so drank coffee as the snow fell then hiked up skied the old hill.

Fun drive out, not.

Also had an epic day in the 00’s, the road was shut at Franklin so started a hike in light snow and ended up pushing through to Pryors hut with the last four kM’s through decent snow levels. A few friends will never let me live it down.

Matthew Higgins has a few decent books out, apparently he has a new one that my better half is after. She knows Mr Higgins well through work. He posted some great photos from a recent ski tour.

Ramshead likes this.
  11. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

12. Telestrom

Telestrom A Local

Loved skiing in the Brindies in the early 90’s.

Here’s a pic of Pryors Hut in a good year. I remember the snow depth on Ginini was around 1-1.5m.

Belly, VSG, Ramshead and 1 other person like this.
  13. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

Is Matthew Higgins on this forum?

14. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

Surely the Remarks were better? ;)

15. zac150

zac150 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Not that I know, sorry when I said posted I meant on another site, I just remember being shown photos of a ski tour.

16. art

art One of Us

telecrag likes this.
  17. telecrag

My old man skied Brindies to Bluewaterholes in the late 70's!

sbm_, zac150 and art like this.
  18. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

How long does it take to hike up stockyard spur?

Figured it would be easier to drive along Brindabella Rd, then ride mountain bike from locked gate to wherever the snow starts.

19. Rat trap bindings

Rat trap bindings One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Last did it in the 80’s about 1-1/2 hrs. But the regrowth after the fires, I think the spur was hit, might be an issue now

20. Rat trap bindings

Rat trap bindings One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

21. art

art One of Us

No regrowth issues, it's a well maintained track these days.
    Record on Strava is under 20min if that's your thing. Over an hour seems more realistic.

That day was a full day from corin forest to gingera and back. The road was closed with snow on it. So lots of stuffing around getting gear on bikes etc.

The problem with the Franklin road is they tend to lock the gate a long way back from skiable snow. Sometimes it's a good option sometimes not. Depends on how low and how much snow.

telecrag likes this.
  22. telecrag

Wish I could still link old videos, I made one in 2008, the gate was locked at Piccadilly Circus, I rode from there, and skied from just before Abby, great snow ride! Another forumite was out the same time, went from Corin Forest, and had a whale of a time (japan references) on Ginini, but got back to find their car had been locked in, as the road had been closed back down to Gibraltar (from memory).

23. art

art One of Us

telecrag likes this.
  24. telecrag

It was a vid, probably an old format no longer supported, I tried to look at it in photophucket, but cant. Have yo hook up the old peter and transfer some files me thinks, I scanned heaps of photos from the brindies.

25. catzizme

catzizme First Runs

This weekend buddy!

26. Ramshead

I wish. Stuck in Syd