Brumbies KNP Management Plan Review

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by tele-whippet, Aug 12, 2014.

1. VSG

VSG Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Whaaa??

2. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Hully likes this.
  3. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

:emoji_speak_no_evil: :emoji_seedling: :emoji_ox::emoji_palm_tree::emoji_koala::emoji_water_buffalo::emoji_rabbit2::emoji_leopard::emoji_jack_o_lantern::emoji_monkey::emoji_sun_with_face:

Oh just convert the place to one massive blackberry farm....that will control the feral animals......:whistle:

If only the early Chinese prospectors from Nine Mile Diggings could see the place now.....under the stewardship of KNP.....they would marvel at the new Game Park Theme.Fresh tucker everywhere,goats pigs deer foxes rabbits and horses to pull gear around with....no need to use just a wheel barrow anymore!

#453 Ubiquitous Steve, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    ladycamper likes this.
  4. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 Well-Known Member

I regularly see deer around Jindabyne and near Island Bend but I have never witnessed so much environmental damage as I saw when I was camping in KNP near the Vic border along the Barry Way. Pinch River was over-run by both horses, deer and rabbits. The river flats were torn to shreds by wild horses. In fact their lifestyle was so good, numerous herds were in similar areas. Incredible density = bad situation. I had to be very careful about the big stallions whenever I went for walks. The deer up there have more kamakazi in their blood than roos. Crikey, one even ran past me in the forby just so it could then jump across in front of me! It was quite a discrace what the feral animals had done to such a beautiful area. They must be removed.

sbm, Barras, person s and 3 others like this.
  5. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage

Speaking to someone yesterday who was at Yarrangobilly last week as part of the lead upto the speelio conference that is on this week. They did a trip out to the waterholes and commented on how many horses were out that end of the park. Their intuitive estimate was "thousands" as "they were f****** everywhere". Within the group were international visitors, delegates for this weeks conference. They were shocked by the damage and apparent lack of management
    Now today i hear on the news that the feral lovers have done their own aerial survey funded through gofundme (FFS!) And they deduced there were only 750. NPWS estimate is 6000. They argue that the NPWS figure is a gross misrepresentation. I think i can take a stab at where the misrepresentation lies!

6. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

That so called "independent survey" entailed flying a small plane about for a few hours over the pasture flats in the Northern park.

Compromised and misleading marketing to keep the FB misinformation stream flowing

Stralya

7. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Dedicated Member

Then the brumby lovers wouldn't mind if 5,000 or so were taken out by the most efficient means (aerial shooting). Can't complain about ferals that don't exist.

#457 Fozzie Bear, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  8. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

is this myth the driver of all of the absurd posturing?
    I fail to see how a 'horse lover' can support the presence of the brumbies

9. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

That is my guess why people want the horses.

10. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

... to be where?
    ... to be doing what?

11. Billy_Buttons

Season Pass Gold

I don't fekking know, do you?

12. Jacko4650

C
    Lassic lobby group tactic these days. They use biased (often intentionally) data and present it as legitimate research. They get away with it too often because politicians and senior govt officials are not trained in how to differentiate good versus dodgy data.
    I must have seen 60 feral horses on one short walk at Pinch River a few weeks ago.

13. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

The myth is all tied in with "Cattlemen of the High Country" being excluded from the Alpine areas and packaged up with the Brumbies being descendants of "Australian war horses", lots of dressing up in WW1 gear, flying of patriotic flags and extrapolated history. Add in the FB memes of "horse lovers" and ..... here we are !!

14. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

looking pretty

15. Gimp

Gimp Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I'm driving the SMH every fri avo/sun avo, if it hadn't been for an oncoming car last fri night flashing me I would have smacked into a mob of 20+ animals on the road near the head of the Eucumbene river. They went straight back onto the road after I had honked my way thru them. This is the second time I've had this same mob on the road. Is it going to take a death by brumbie to get action?

16. Jacko4650

Wow, that's a frightening thought. There is a large herd of deer that frequent areas about 5klm up from the Station toward Dalgety. 40-50 head that jump straight over fences for sheep & cattle. Once the herd starts, they all follow blindly. Very aware of the dangers now.

Gimp likes this.
  17. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture

Nope, driver at fault and brumbie is a victim.

Go figure.

Gimp and Jacko4650 like this.
  18. telecrag

telecrag Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I think you will find that many people think they are a native animal now.

We eat kangaroo. I suggest restaurants get on it.

skifree likes this.
  19. skifree

Hey, then we could farm em.

telecrag likes this.
  20. telecrag

Season Pass Gold

Coz thats not where they keep coming from!

skifree likes this.
  21. canestocks

canestocks Active Member

Saw a story a few weeks back about an aerial shoot in SW Queensland. Farmers cleaned out 950 odd pigs and a dog. Where are all the pig friends on that one. Just sayin.

A figure I heard somewhere was that 80% of removed brumbies end up at the knackers. (might have been on here). Too many horses in paddocks now that dont get enough use. And I know cos my fam love horses.
    And having been on the periphery of the Guy Fawkes incident there is no better way to remove these invasive pests.

Fozzie Bear and Gimp like this.
  22. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Australia has a sizable horse meat export trade

23. telecrag

Season Pass Gold

Gawd, just saw a post from a friend on FB, veggie animal liberationist, love her to bits, but FM. I couldn't let it slide. Every feral is a native dead. Which do you protect? Native species, or domestic and farm animals let loose? Its that simple.

Jacko4650 and Fozzie Bear like this.
  24. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

Horse management in Victoria is also at a standstill.The bleeding hearts have one this round. Most of the politicians have been gelded. Most cattlemen in the High Country shot the feral horse as well because they caused damage and ran away their own stock. Lies and myth can always beat common sense..BTW I have a horse to give away. Either that or a bullet for him. Any bleeding hearts want him?

25. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

What colour ...

Fozzie Bear and telecrag like this.
  26. teletripper

teletripper Active Member

Apathy from the broader community and those who love and support the concept of what a National park should be about, the protection of it's native species and ecosystems will see the pro brumby and anti park lobby prevail. Science, facts and evidence mean nothing to politicians. Community outcry (even if it is ill informed and unfounded) which translates to votes however puts a different lens on issues such as this, and any common sense goes out the window with the politics. Maybe social media groups such as these that are trying to provide a response to the 'alternative truth' of brumby groups need some broader support along with direct lobbying to local members, Ministers, deputy Premiers and Premiers to indicate there is alternate views within the community than what they hear from the vocal minority.
    https://www.facebook.com/feralfreeaustralia/
    https://www.facebook.com/TSCommissioner/
    https://www.facebook.com/invasivespeciescouncil/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/191099460990243/

dawooduck likes this.
  27. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage

The politics of large feral mammal control is a tad frought.... and not likely to get a good outcome atm.
    The ISC on the other hand have just had a win on the fire ant and will be levereging off that experience... likewise expect them to be a lot more visible at election tines.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  28. Jacko4650

I love all animals but if I were to go to the Galapogos Islands and see it overrun by cane toads and possoms, I would be concerned. Feral animals have a place of origin and belong there and as Telecrag said, every feral animal equals a dead native animal. We must preserve our animal diversity around the world, meaning there is no place for ferals in our National parks.

skifree and Majikthise like this.
  29. Billy_Buttons

Season Pass Gold

30. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

The free kind of colour. Someone coming to look at him next week.

Another way to educate people is to change how we speak of these horses and stop calling them brumbies. They are feral horses. Take away the evocative and emotional name and relate to people exactly what these animals are. They were a domestic animal which had escaped, was lost or let loose by the human owner. Being a horse owner and talking with other horse owners who come to the High Plains about feral horses has given them a new insight into the problem and less sympathy for them. Many of those wanting to sustain the wild populations are only looking to benefit financially from harvesting the young horses for sale. Some people are even seeding the wild population with their own mares to diversify the gene pool.

skifree and dawooduck like this.
  31. telecrag

Season Pass Gold

People believe that they have been out there since settlement, have evolved into a unique breed, and as such have as much right to be here as us. Social media alternate facts. People believe what they want to believe.

dawooduck likes this.
  32. skifree

So how long and how much did the consultation process that has now been junked by folks who bypassed the process?

33. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

These people were part of the process and it seems they were able to convince the right people. The only method of cull that was truly on the table is shooting. All other methods have been deemed not suitable. Too far to knackery for road transport, nobody wants old mares or stallions to re-home. Running them till they drop is considered cruel. These horses are not very fit and tire easily when run. So it seems one poorly run aerial shooting operation will always come back to bite them. Pollies do not like hot potatoes and this is one that will cause them to lose votes. The environment means less.

34. telecrag

Season Pass Gold

Encourage the people running hunting tours to send the fully sick hunters from Sydney in their Hilix's after Brumbies instead of deer?

35. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

Megafauna.

Majikthise, climberman and telecrag like this.
  36. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

So much for blitzkrieg extinction hypothesis.

37. skifree

It makes the whole process stink to high heaven.

38. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage

politics NSW style it has ever been thus

Telemark Phat and malas1 like this.
  39. skifree

I was going to say something like that but held off.

The question now for folks who think that corroboree frog habitat and the frogs are worth saving is where to now?

40. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage

1) ensure the S&F don't have the BoP in the next parliament
    2) Target strategic seats
    3) Lobby for herbivory by horses to be listed as a " threatening process "

Telemark Phat likes this.