1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Brumbies

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by C_Bowl, Aug 19, 2005.

1. C_Bowl

C_Bowl First Runs

After years of ski touring, it wasn't until I drove up the road from Thredbo to build a snowman with the kids that I bumped into a mob of brumbies
    [​IMG]

NB: I've got to get a digital camera. Scans of photos just are not good enough.

#1 C_Bowl, Aug 19, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. BrumbyJack

BrumbyJack First Runs

I got some on my phone Camera on my last trip to Falls Creek, halfway betweeen Pilot Lookout and Leatherbarrel Creek [​IMG] lots of snow around too....

I asked LRB to take some pics, but he zoomed in on one of them instead of taking a pic of the mob. A few foals in one of the pics LRB took.

#2 BrumbyJack, Aug 19, 2005
  3. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Where abouts exactley c_bowl?

I ran into one on the alpine way near the ski tube turn off one night and thats it for me. Big dark shiny thing with heaps of steam coming out of the nostrels. Scared the **** out of me.

4. BrumbyJack

BrumbyJack First Runs

They are very bad in the dark.... horses eyes do not reflect light [​IMG]

I remember the first time I came across a mob of brumbies on the Alpine Way one very foggy night.... just saw something on the the road ahead.... thought it was a person to start off with... then realised what it was [​IMG]

#4 BrumbyJack, Aug 20, 2005
  5. Rockart

Rockart First Runs

December a few years ago I went to park at Dead Horse Gap. There was a brumby cropping the grass which would not move to let me back the car in. Not exactly a "wild" animal I would say.

That night I was camped near Cascade Hut and the brumbies kept coming up to smell the tent -- didn't get much sleep.

6. Squibby

Squibby One of Us

My first meeting with brumbies was with my pants dangling round my ankles behind a tree... [​IMG]
    I was well..doin my business and heard a boom boom boom sound comming my direction. Poked my head around the tree to see a mob of brumby's full steam ahead past my humble tree and flashiing derriere ! They then stood between me and the tent but just out of a straight line to the tent. I stood there for a good 45 mins deciding how to get back to the ten and having images of me being skittled by wild horses!
    Some big creatures too!
    Scared the poop outa me..luckily for me i was already err...well..you can guess
    We were at hainsworth hut as far as i can remember. [​IMG]

#6 Squibby, Aug 20, 2005
  7. telemarx

telemarx A Local

An old photo I took on the way to Cascades Hut. Pretty crappy scanned pic but the only one I've got of brumbies in KNP.
    [​IMG]

8. sidetrack

sidetrack One of Us

My wife and I saw 3 + 1 foal on the walking track from dead horse gap up to the rams head. on the first flat section a couple of years ago. And Ive seen them below the road between DHG and TG.

9. echidna

echidna Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Hmph vermin, they should all be shot.

[Ahem, it is pretty [​IMG] to see them though, like deer. Been to the Cobberas 3 or 4 times & seen brumbies every time. There's quite a few around Falls as well.]

#9 echidna, Aug 20, 2005
  10. telemarx

telemarx A Local

To emphasise echidna's point take a walk through Guy Fawkes NP some time. Ridiculous numbers of brumbies in there. Makes for a restless night in the tent when mobs of 15 or so gallop past several times in the night. GFNP is where the controversy was about the brumbies being shot from helicopters.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local

You see em on the Bogong High Plains in Spring - pretty shy though.

There's a minor industry catching them for breeding purposes.

12. old_crango

old_crango First Runs

Had a similar experience at IBend a few years back. Alone and dog-tired one evening I used Chateau Subaru rather than bother with the tent. Woken in the wee hours by soft thumps on the bodywork and 'grmf-grmf' sounds. Looked out with the Petzl to see kangaroo faces in the windows - many looking quite happy. Horn-toots made them run off, but they always returned. They were licking encrusted salt (from Kosciuszko road) off the body panels. Finally had to move the car to get rid of them. Next morning the side panels were covered in lick marks (but no teeth scratches - considerate roos).

#12 old_crango, Aug 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  13. C_Bowl

C_Bowl First Runs

At Dead Horse Gap. From what others have said it doesn't sound that uncommon. These ones definately didn't seem to nervous about me approaching them

#13 C_Bowl, Aug 20, 2005
  14. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

one night in a national park (which shall remain nameless) with a person of my aquaintance (who shall remain nameless) I happened to look around and found an audience of kangaroos [​IMG] [​IMG]

#14 D-eye, Aug 21, 2005