ELI5 Bucket List Skiing Locations

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
Farsi( Irani Persian ) is a great Indo European language. Start learning it now. It is not a complicated language. Dari for me is easier because it is a parent language of Urdu.
Not much English is spoken there in Iran . Plus Tajikistan has BIG mountains and is a Persian speaking country in the area.
Persian is also spoken in Samarkand and Bukhara in Uzbekistan. It is the language on the street there.
Uzbekistan has a USSR / Russian built ski resort too.
I need to dust up on some other languages first!! Or I'll be in trouble

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Reactions: piolet

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
Charlie don't .... ski!

200.gif
I had one afternoon at the "Pipe Range" on HKIA (think big 6 foot diameter pipes 20 m long buried in an earth berm and used as a shooting range) just before the threshold for the runway. Looking at the hills to the north of HKIA and plotting out MTB singletrack on the hills. My next thoughts "what the fcuk are you thinking there is so much UXO there any tire blowout could be permanent."

But they did have skiing and snowboarding in Afghanistan.

And a ski club (sort of in Afghanistan and also in St Moritz)

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Ticking off all 7 continents for me, which means Antarctica, Africa and South America...

So I suppose that means Morocco, then I reckon Portillo for SA..

Would echo other's thoughts re Kamchatka, Iran and maybe Lebanon..

Other bucket list items:

Alta
Alaska - heli
Canadian hut-based cat skiing
Georgia (as long as it's not on that chairlift)
Season in the Alps, going from one end to the other, incl Chamonix (have been but need to do it properly), La Grave and hut-hut tours
Mt Baker, Vancouver Is

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
One thing to remember about skiing in Iran...
Since 2015, by law, if you go to Iran the USA will exclude you from the Visa Waiver Program. i.e. you can't get an ESTA (active military excl).

After the Iran visit, to enter the US you will need to apply for a non-immigrant visa at a US Embassy. Appointment, in-person interview, documents, $$, need to do this months ahead. Also applies for fun trips to Iraq, NK, Sudan, Syria, Libya, Somalia, Yemen

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
Back to Iceland. Zermatt rinse and repeat any day.
Zermatt was the big one for me
I’d happily go back anytime
I once decided that I’d like to climb the Matterhorn after I saw a doco on it, set myself a goal of preparing for it over ten years
that was somewhat more than ten years ago and I haven’t done it
volunteering at the world champs in Sweden was terrific
first o/s ski trip was to Dolomites with offspring, also great

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
Great thread.

Kamchatka. But this looks like an absolute ball ache to get to
Kashmir. Backpacked there in summer 03 and desperate to ride Gulmarg in winter
Iran
Georgia. Mates from Dubai go there every year, so accessible to them, great snow etc
Big Sky, Montana. Before it becomes 'epic'afied
Zermatt
Macedonia. I know it isnt one of the biggest/best but we have close friends there
Alaska heli trip. Just because, but only for a day, because im not rich!
Canada cat skiing. Big red or Mustang. Both look great

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Old thread on Kamchatka.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
I'm no longer actively looking for exotic new locations. Just happy to revisit places that I have particularly enjoyed.

I would though like to do this for real when we can travel again.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra

buckwheat

One of Us
Jun 6, 2000
Sydney, NSW Australia
Back to Corvara for this one. Eyed it off a few times from below
Omg. That line is off the charts. Very want!! Think you have just planted a massive seed.....

Reactions: Kletterer

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I once decided that I’d like to climb the Matterhorn after I saw a doco on it, set myself a goal of preparing for it over ten years
Ooofff that’s a sketchy climb.

Zermatt is a delight though. Certainly will be beckoning me back yet again.

JayJee

Out of the frying pan into the fire
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2011
Yeap, have done NYC to Montreal on the Adirondack. Wrong time of the year for Tremblant unfortunately. It was on last Xmas' visit. Oh wait.

Tremblant is not a terrible one to miss tbh. NE is icy af.

cqen2l

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2003
Northern Beaches
did you get the special Canadian Customs experience at the border?
Sure did, delightful chaps :rolleyes: worse though was the US bar closed because they entered Canada and the WiFi was turned off.
Just to rub salt into the wound they had to reduce the speed to 25mph because of fire concerns through the, mostly, corn farms.

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Climb Mt Blanc instead, and then ski it.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
Ha ha, Australia waves hi. Our son was living in NYC, now in Maine so Tremblant is the nearest and best option. There are a few Maine resort within 3 hours drive from his Portland home though. :cool: worth considering maybe.
offspring and her husband currently live in Georgia, where there’s no snow
they were thinking of moving to Vermont, which I vigorously supported
lately they’ve been talking Chicago, which has snow and is really cold but no hills

cqen2l

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2003
Northern Beaches
offspring and her husband currently live in Georgia, where there’s no snow
they were thinking of moving to Vermont, which I vigorously supported
lately they’ve been talking Chicago, which has snow and is really cold but no hills
And the highest murder rate in the USA. Just saying. Nice place to visit though, and reasonable pizza.

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
I did have two weeks at the guide lodge in la grave booked and the leave pass from the wife… but Covid

I Have skied Tajikistan. I’d not want to get stuck there

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Just 3 days this year. A cruel irony collecting refunds from FC and Thredbo. Would like to ski Tasman glacier before it shrinks to nothing much. About the same price as a heli day. Then Dolomites.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
When skiing abroad do people usually take two pairs of ski boots and two sets of skis i.e one NNN BC XC set up and one Telemark ski rig?

That is how I am considering doing it when the opportunity arrives.
T. Not many people take xc skis as as you can hire them. Unless you are a top level competition skier. But people do take boots, because hire boots don't always fit so well. I have taken tele skis to Japan, twice, just because that is the set-up I want to get better on. Hopefully, we can get out there again, one day soon.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
T. Not many people take xc skis as as you can hire them. Unless you are a top level competition skier. But people do take boots, because hire boots don't always fit so well. I have taken tele skis to Japan, twice, just because that is the set-up I want to get better on. Hopefully, we can get out there again, one day soon.
So far this year I have skied once in April, Once in May ( both at Lake Mtn. ), and 5 days since including one day at JB Plain to Paw Paw Plain, a XC ski up the Paralyser near Falls Creek
and the 3 days out at Mt. No. 3 Refuge hut where we skied A LOT, even to the pit loo in the mornings.
I need to ski 25 days a year or I begin to twitch.
A ski trip for 3-4 weeks abroad with lessons, lifts and Ski Touring would address the two lost seasons so far here in Ozstriya.

buckwheat

One of Us
Jun 6, 2000
Sydney, NSW Australia
One of the guides from Antarctica runs this.
They start the season skiing next to Lake Baikal which looks Japanesey w trees and amazing powder. Then they go to the Caucasus for insane vertical, before finishing the season on Kamchatka, skiing volcanoes. I'd like to do all three!
https://www.heliski-russia.com/en/
Insanely good link, Baikal was never on my radar before. Damn you Boodwah, my bucket list is supposed to get shorter, not longer!

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
this has been on my bucket list. Its not insane, but looks so much fun! They guides I went with round the Arlberg run it.

ski the Norway Fjords

Reactions: hpsauce

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
this has been on my bucket list. Its not insane, but looks so much fun! They guides I went with round the Arlberg run it.

ski the Norway Fjords

Lyngen on my list too - for the Northern Lights and Midnight Sun!
There's also a few outfits that do the fjords by boat/yacht.

Reactions: hpsauce

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
One of the guides from Antarctica runs this.
They start the season skiing next to Lake Baikal which looks Japanesey w trees and amazing powder. Then they go to the Caucasus for insane vertical, before finishing the season on Kamchatka, skiing volcanoes. I'd like to do all three!
https://www.heliski-russia.com/en/

Flory Kern who was one the guides I skied with in Kamchatka back in 2004 also started doing trips to Baikal which interested me. But I heard that he canned it after a season when he found that it suffered badly from faceted snow making it too unpredictable. But looking at his website it appears he is again doing trips there. He has been just about everywhere.

https://www.flory-kern.de/en/homepage

Reactions: Boodwah
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass