Trip Report Buckland River/Twins Tk./ AAWT/ Mt. Murray hike. 16 & 17 th Jan.2022

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Your correspondent in the field went out to scout out Mt. Murray( 1640 M. ASL ) , a major peak in the Barry Mountains section of the Alpine N.P. . It is located not that far from Mt. Hotham but hiking up there from the Buckland River is something I had never done before.
I did also survey it for BC XC skiing potential . It is an arduous trip from The Upper Buckland river ( 600 M. ASL) and it did not inspire me for B.C. ski applications. Moreover the terrain around the summit looked too steep for this rusty plodder on planks.
In January it often becomes too hot and dry to do active strenuous outdoors stuff here in Victoria. However skiing in Japan or elsewhere in the Northern Hemisphere winter will have to wait at least 12 months due to the Pandemic. I hope the virus runs out of Greek letter names before that date comes.
I drove up to stay at my Friend's house in Myrtleford the day before.
I dropped in on her where she is caring for her ailing nonagenarian Mother in Eurobin , also in the Ovens Valley.
I was up early with the dawn chorus on Sunday January 16th. Driving through the Ovens valley fog and out along the Buckland Valley road it was cool and beautiful.
There are many pleasant campsites with pit loos situated along that stretch of the river. You may have to share them with cows though. Only Beveridge's station ( an old former livestock 'farm land' on the river flats ) offers a camping area sans pit loos and cows within the Alpine N.P. .
I parked at the junction of Selwyn Creek Road and the Mt. Murray North Track.
Once I was ready off then I went up the Mt. Murray North Track. There were at least 5 boots and gaiters on river / creek crossings on that rough 4 x 4 track. One or two of them were shin deep and fast flowing.

Later along the track it began to climb out of the creek and river flats and snake its way up to meet the Twins Track on the AAWT.
On the way up I had a quick chat with a Land Cruiser owner who was driving up to Mt. Hotham the back way with a lad in the passenger seat who I presumed to be his son.
There was water flowing across and under the jeep track at numerous points and the tree ferns and tall mountain ash made for some verdant soothing scenery.
As I drew closer to the Twins Track junction some views of the Buckland Valley opened up.
Since the Barry Mountains were badly burned in January 2020 most of the signs out that way have been replaced with new ones. It is an area I think that @Ramshead had to skip on his AAWT journey that led to his writing of the book " From snow to ash ".
So once again I am giving him a taste of what he missed on the Vic. AAWT and adjacent terrain.
Photos from Day one of the big January trek .

_SAM1127.JPG

_SAM1128.JPG

_SAM1129.JPG

_SAM1131.JPG

_SAM1133.JPG

_SAM1136.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Day 1. More photos.It started getting hot up on that high sub alpine ridge once I hit the Twins track. The trees are still recovering from a severe fire so shade was what I wanted but it was not what I was getting .
The Twins track rapidly began to climb up over 300 M vertical in less that 3 or 4 kms until I reached the Mt. Murray South Track junction. That was a steep nasty Jeep track with more up and down and then even steeper uphill sections to do battle with .I carried 4 Litres extra water with me in order to camp at Mt. Murray . I had to make it last until the next morning, in addition to the 2-3 litres I had in my Camel Back bladder.
_SAM1137.JPG
_SAM1138.JPG
_SAM1139.JPG
_SAM1140.JPG
_SAM1141.JPG
_SAM1142.JPG
_SAM1144.JPG
_SAM1145.JPG
_SAM1146.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Day 1. The Twins Track ( AAWT) to Mt. Murray. I saw a troop of 3 tonka toys 4 x 4 vehicles drive up to the summit of Mt. Murray , the motorists got out , took some photos and then drove away. It made my slog up the valley to the top seem to be quite a different way to interact with the terrain .
It was very clear up there and very scenic with a grand sunset .
The weather seemed benign so camping high up near the true summit seemed to be a reasonable prospect.

I could see Mt.. Hotham, Mt. Feathertop, The Twins, Mt. Cobbler, Mt Buffalo , the Cross cut saw , Mt. Blue Rag and much more.

_SAM1149.JPG
_SAM1150.JPG
_SAM1151.JPG
_SAM1152.JPG
_SAM1153.JPG
_SAM1154.JPG
_SAM1156.JPG
_SAM1157.JPG

The walk / grovel was mostly up Bloody steep and rough jeep roads and nearly all the old snow gums are now charcoal . The valley floor was greener and full of flowing water. This ridgeline typifies the hostility of the Barry Mountains.
_SAM1158.JPG
_SAM1160.JPG
_SAM1161.JPG
_SAM1162.JPG
_SAM1163.JPG
_SAM1165.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Photos from Day 1. Camping on Mt. Murray.

The flies were INTENSE.
:-0
I got my tent set up and ate something. Then I went to the summit where the trig point is set into a stone.
The views were remarkable and I had the whole place to myself. I would have been more relaxed if I had more water and some old tree cover for shelter from winds.
I had a rest inside my tent away from the flies and other buzzing airborne pests and later got some dinner cooking . After reading some Norman Mailer in my tent I took some sunset photos. There was a pleasant breeze.
The sunset was flaming red.
I went off to bed early but at about 3 am the wind increased quite a lot. It became too loud to sleep. By 0410 I was getting dressed and was fed, packed up and walking by 0530 just as the crack of dawn was appearing.
I saw the sunrise over Mt. Hotham . The weather was changing . It was important to get off that high AAWT ridgeline and find some extra water to supplement my 1 litre I had left for the first half of the walk back to The Tee Mobile.
I walked back over the Twins Track and descended via the Selwyn Creek road. I found that the road was Subaru / RAV 4 AWD standard not a rough as guts jeep track and after a short way down the road I found water. Yaaaaaaay.
It seemed to be a feeder spring for Coghill Creek, a tributary stream of The Buckland River.
_SAM1166.JPG
_SAM1167.JPG
_SAM1168.JPG
_SAM1169.JPG
_SAM1170.JPG
_SAM1178.JPG
_SAM1179.JPG
_SAM1181.JPG
_SAM1183.JPG
_SAM1184.JPG
_SAM1186.JPG
_SAM1191.JPG

The sun was setting as the moon was rising. :) .
_SAM1188.JPG
_SAM1197.JPG
_SAM1193.JPG
_SAM1198.JPG
_SAM1199.JPG
_SAM1201.JPG
_SAM1200.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Day 2. Red sky in the morning= a sailor's warning .
An early start meant I was back at my car by 11 am !!. The road bash down Selywn Creek road was easy but not memorable or kind on the feet. The humidity and heat increased as I descended from the Sub Alpine area to the River flats.
I did not see anyone the whole way back.
Not a sausage!
_SAM1202.JPG
_SAM1203.JPG
_SAM1204.JPG
_SAM1205.JPG
_SAM1206.JPG
_SAM1208.JPG
_SAM1209.JPG
_SAM1210.JPG
_SAM1211.JPG
_SAM1212.JPG

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Day 2. The Twins Jeep track to Selwyn Creek Road. The AAWT. It kept climbing up and down , often steeply following the ridge tops. The loose rocks meant I had to focus on my foot placements and shorten and lengthen my walking poles over and over.
The Barry Mountains.... Barry has a lot to answer for !!
_SAM1213.JPG
_SAM1214.JPG
_SAM1216.JPG
_SAM1215.JPG
_SAM1217.JPG
_SAM1219.JPG
_SAM1220.JPG
_SAM1221.JPG
_SAM1222.JPG
_SAM1223.JPG
_SAM1224.JPG
It was a relief to finally get off the Twins Track and head down hill back to the car and get water along the way. Prospective AAWT walkers could do a supply drop at the Selwyn Creek road/ Twins Track junction. The Selwyn Creek road is suitable for a 2 WD vehicle IMHO.
_SAM1226.JPG

Water..... at last. Cool and plentiful :) about 2kms down the Selwyn Creek road.

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Day 2. The last bit and it was over. Mission accomplished. My bare feet liked the standing in the creek bit at the end when it was all over and I was getting ready to drive out.
So yet another small section of the Australian Alps Walking track ( AAWT ) has been walked by your correspondent in the field.
I ate lunch by the Buckland river. I stopped by to see my friend Ms. KJ and her aged Ma in Eurobin on the way back to Myrtleford. I helped jump start Ms. KJ's car and I later met her ski mad Boyfriend from Bright who Iikes to Telemark ski the steep down hill ski runs at Mt. Hotham .
_SAM1227.JPG
_SAM1228.JPG
_SAM1225.JPG
_SAM1229.JPG
_SAM1231.JPG
_SAM1232.JPG
_SAM1233.JPG
_SAM1234.JPG
_SAM1230.JPG

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using