Budget overseas skiing

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
Along with plenty of others I suppose I expect my income over the next 6 to 12 months will be down substantially. I’d estimate between 30 and 50 percent down.
I’m a lover of northern hemisphere ski trips and have enjoyed many to Canada, Japan, USA and Japan over the years. Despite my income reduction I intend to do a ski trip as soon as practically possible. Hoping for January 2021 or Easter 2021 but I understand international travel may not be up and running by then.
Given the income shortage I’ll be trying to do the next trip on a budget. So the question is where and how? Obviously there are plenty of factors to consider. Exchange rates, flight costs, accomodation costs and lift ticket costs being just a few. We’re a family of 4 so the costs add up quickly.
Europe has the disadvantage of unfavourable exchange rate but the advantage of reasonable daily lift ticket costs and relatively reasonable flight costs (compared to North America).
Canada and US have cheap off snow accomodation and multi resort passes that make them a good road trip destination.
I’ve found Japan to offer cheap good quality food and reasonable lift tickets but accomodation seems to be more expensive.
Has anyone done thorough research to determine the best bang for buck destination?

Oliver.b

First Runs
May 19, 2020
Similar situation for me. I work as a contractor and due to the lock down I lost nearly 50% customers.
For your case, flight tickets depend on both your home country and destination. And if you really face finance problem maybe plan a domestic trip which will be fun either.
If you wish to try south, near Sydney located the largest resort of south hemisphere. I've been there and it's really good. Just note Australia is closing down and they require police check for working holiday visa.
If you have to do international trip, Canada is a good choice (snow ticket and flights are relatively cheaper than the US) and definitely avoid the US. See the number of COVID-19 cases: https://g.co/kgs/NQjpPr

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
...Obviously there are plenty of factors to consider. Exchange rates, flight costs, accomodation costs and lift ticket costs being just a few. We’re a family of 4 so the costs add up quickly.
The obvious solution is leveraging an epic/ikon or similar pass to mitigate the impact of lift ticket prices, particularly for a family. You have probably bought one of these in the past?

Europe has the disadvantage of unfavourable exchange rate but the advantage of reasonable daily lift ticket costs and relatively reasonable flight costs (compared to North America).
Flights are going to go up post covid IMO - this is going to be your biggest problem with the double whammy of reduced income. Don't forget accom - Europe has much more affordable offerings compared to US/CAN, and they are usually on-snow. Think Pensions and self-catered Chalets.

Canada and US have cheap off snow accomodation and multi resort passes that make them a good road trip destination.
Rental cars and fuel are cheap I suppose.
I’ve found Japan to offer cheap good quality food and reasonable lift tickets but accomodation seems to be more expensive.
Has anyone done thorough research to determine the best bang for buck destination?
Again, suggest leveraging the epic for Hakuba/Rusutsu. Your best chance of a win on flights may be to Japan, but you'll have to jump on the cheapo airline deals early - remains to be seen if one can get $600 return flights to Japow post covid

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Along with plenty of others I suppose I expect my income over the next 6 to 12 months will be down substantially. I’d estimate between 30 and 50 percent down.
I’m a lover of northern hemisphere ski trips and have enjoyed many to Canada, Japan, USA and Japan over the years. Despite my income reduction I intend to do a ski trip as soon as practically possible. Hoping for January 2021 or Easter 2021 but I understand international travel may not be up and running by then.
Given the income shortage I’ll be trying to do the next trip on a budget. So the question is where and how? Obviously there are plenty of factors to consider. Exchange rates, flight costs, accomodation costs and lift ticket costs being just a few. We’re a family of 4 so the costs add up quickly.
Remind me again, where have you skied in Japan?
The key to getting cheaper accommodation is to find places that charge by the room and not by the person, and/or by staying at Japanese places (e.g. tatami mat & futon) with shared onsen/bath.

And I wouldn't leverage the the Epic Pass for Rusutsu, because the accommodation there can be WAY expensive.

Melskius

One of Us
Aug 2, 2015
We have managed to ski Japan very cheap for the last 5 years. This year our family of 4, with ski gear spent just over $6k inclusive of everything, flights, accomodation, lift ticket, jr pass, all spending money and meals - everything. That was for 14nights, 7 on snow the remained travelling around out of GC into NRT. This is our usual spend for 2 week trip. Will be interesting to see what covid does to travel. But hard to beat for value, and no jet lag, shorter travel time works for us.

Reactions: Sandy and Born2skii

Harper11

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Brisbane
We have managed to ski Japan very cheap for the last 5 years. This year our family of 4, with ski gear spent just over $6k inclusive of everything, flights, accomodation, lift ticket, jr pass, all spending money and meals - everything. That was for 14nights, 7 on snow the remained travelling around out of GC into NRT. This is our usual spend for 2 week trip. Will be interesting to see what covid does to travel. But hard to beat for value, and no jet lag, shorter travel time works for us.
You must drive a good bargain

Reactions: Jacko4650

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Consider Italy as a base, near the Austrian border perhaps? Flights into Venice can be pretty cheap. Heinz, and I think Kletterer too, have posted some sensationally good value accommodation options not far from the slopes over the years and ski passes like Dolomiti Superski are very good value. Transport options are also very good and reliable without costing an arm and a leg. For example, Brunico (or Bruneck for the German version) is close to the Kronplatz and the vast ski areas of the Dolomites via a short bus or train but there are hundreds of options throughout that entire region if Italy/Austria. The lower your budget, the further afield you stay and the earlier you head for the slopes.

Kash

One of Us
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney

It is, unless you need to go in that narrow window of the January school holidays (after the snow starts falling in mid Jan, Hokkaido excluded) and school returns first week of Feb. Its very hard to get affordable Japow flights in Jan. We purchased ANA flights SYD-Tokyo for end Jan21 pre the world going to $hit for $950 return so hopefully we can use this, as i know this was a very very lucky buy.

With kids in late primary school its getting harder to justify taking them out during the term. We are going to start looking at riding in the April school hols though as many Japanese resorts seem to remain open then. Guessing its a gamble with rain etc but if we go over for 10 days, and ski for half it makes more sense. Europe, or places like Mammoth/Whistler could also work for April aus school hols.

To answer the OP's original question - you could definitely consider some of the more affordable parts of Europe. Slovakia and Bulgaria has great skiing I've heard at a fraction of the price of Swiss, France/Austria. I've done a long weekend riding in Slovenia which was fine. Combined with a visit to llubliana and lake bled it was an amazing Christmas trip (i did it as a 5 day trip out of london for a white xmas experience).

Most of the above eastern euro options should still have lift passes for < $50 AUD day, if looking for an alternative to Aus $150 or Vail's $200+ day. Goes without saying that accom is a fraction of the price but of course you need to get there.....

Last edited:

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Japan generally the cheapest, just don't go to Niseko. Slovakia is good value in Europe. There's a British mob that have a lodge at Jasna and it's very affordable.

Canada can be done really cheaply if you get a car and you don't mind staying at best western type accom. You can even negotiate a deal for a weekly stay or longer. I've done it in Revvie, Nelson & Rossland to name a few. Check out the local lift deals. ie Revvie season pass get's you 50% off at Whitewater and other type of deals.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
You must drive a good bargain
Nope just lots of research, and self book everything. Anyone can do it. Though we don't travel in school holiday times or Dec/Jan. We did get some good powder thanks to the later season this year.
Nah Japan can be insanely cheap.
But you just gotta do the research.
Must be

I guess in school holidays your at 4K for four flights and even cheap accommodation at $200 a night and your at 7k already
As I mentioned earlier, you just need to understand how to get cheaper accommodation without slumming it.
@Melskius understands how to find accomm by the room, not by the person.... just for starters!!!

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
Seems to be plenty of cheap fares to USA at start of January. Saw some online somewhere recently for $999 return. Didn't see what kids fare was.
Also cheap Colorado deals.

From memory was $5500 for family of 4. Return fares, 10 nights in resort, with lifts. Will try & find it again.

That's a good deal for sure and I would feel relatively safe road tripping the small towns and skiing nearby mountains but I think the USA may be a 'off limits' destination then. (Having to quarantine when coming back home). I think Canada and Japan will be more likely to be 'bubble' destinations.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Can't see USA being a good option. There may be some cheap deals, but too many other issues.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Talk of USA opening for everyone by late August.

Anyway the deal was on Hotham Facebook page last week. Someone in Queensland was complaining how cheap USA was compared with Australian & New Zealand resorts.

Must have been taken down as Hotham can't or won't compete on price.

A mate chased the deal.

It was actually $5445 for 2 adults & 2 kids from brisso January 4 to la, flying back January 19.

Unit for 10 nights at copper mt with 7 days lifts for only 1 adult & 2 kids.

Girl he spoke to said costed this way as was a real costing where wife wasn't sure if she was skiing at all. If she did $59 a day. Same cost if other 3 wanted extra days lifts.

Getting from la to Denver or other air ports not included as told many use frequent flyer points. No transfers either.

Cheap Hertz car was suggested each way for a day.

5 nights to either ski longer or do something else. She said most families spend nights on West coast.

Sounded too cheap & she went onto say they were doing the first 20 bookings at cost to get things moving. She said same deal once sold 20 would likely be $500 to $1000 more.
What about a Fiji stopover? Sounds nice!

Reactions: Zeroz

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017

Anyway the deal was on Hotham Facebook page last week. Someone in Queensland was complaining how cheap USA was compared with Australian & New Zealand resorts.

A mate chased the deal.

It was actually $5445 for 2 adults & 2 kids from brisso January 4 to la, flying back January 19.

Girl he spoke to said costed this way as was a real costing where wife wasn't sure if she was skiing at all. If she did $59 a day. Same cost if other 3 wanted extra days lifts.

Getting from la to Denver or other air ports not included as told many use frequent flyer points. No transfers either.

5 nights to either ski longer or do something else. She said most families spend nights on West coast.

Sounded too cheap & she went onto say they were doing the first 20 bookings at cost to get things moving. She said same deal once sold 20 would likely be $500 to $1000 more.
Via Fiji?

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne

A mate chased the deal.

Welcome back Craig.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass