1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Bull Run Midload

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by sbt99, Aug 5, 2015.

1. sbt99

sbt99 Hard Yards

I can't see the need for the old bull run midload about 100m up from the bottom. Why and when did it exist/get removed? I am aware this is referencing an area of buller that has been often stated to 'not exist'.

2. benzerknees

benzerknees Hard Yards

It was put in when the lift was built. I imagine it was thought it could be used with low snow levels. Of course Wood Run and Bull Run now have a road running across the runs to take you to a mid load that never loaded anyone.

3. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

To be fair that bottom section is usually the section that gets rooted the most, so there probably was some scope for the midload initially. But yeah the lift is short enough anyway, no use for it.

4. cqen2l

cqen2l Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Was a T bar last time I was at Buller.

5. Rush

Rush Pool Room

Was it ever used?

6. Bullerdonk

Bullerdonk Hard Yards

I'd say that if you can make it down to the last 100m you can probably make it to the bottom, no need for it + doubt it was used

7. soda

soda One of Us

With so many redundant mid loads at Buller its really like there was a set policy for a period of time to always include. Obviously better snow making and snow farming practices have rendered most of these useless particularly the lower ones like Bull Run & Wombat.

8. Greatfox

Greatfox Hard Yards

Certainly the mid load at Wombat has only been made redundant in the last couple of years with the addition of snowmaking all the way down to the return (bottom for all the non-lifties) station

9. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

And favourable early-season snowmaking conditions to get that trail blasted. Dont forget there's similar snowmaking down whiskey creek too and it doesnt get used often. If we didnt get those cold temps early in June to get the trail down it really makes it tough in a low-snow year to get down to the bottom.