Buller Backpack Beef

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by Team Weasel, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Team Weasel

Team Weasel Addicted

Had a great time at Buller the other day, but did learn about the new war against backpacks.

Seems to be a new policy - was told to take off a strap / remove entirely by multiple lifties. Also noticed a few signs floating about.

I mostly complied, but the only time I've ever had a problem with a backpack on a lift is by taking a strap off. Then it only takes a misplaced, dangling buckle and your pack does a lap on the lift without you. A campaign against loose straps on packs is something I can get behind.

Anyone know the reasoning behind this policy? Any mishaps that brought it about?

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass: Gold

If your backpack is going to tangle best that you are not strapped in when it happens. A hanging backpack doing a lap is better than a hanging person doing a lap.

3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room

Buller's policy on when you should open the safety bar is also extremely OTT and out of line with the rest of the world.

I went for a bit of a skin on Friday and Saturday and my mates got told about their backpacks, I just stuffed my skins inside my jacket.

In European cable cars you get told to take your backpack off but that's a) to make more room to stuff more people in and b) people tend to have sharp pointy things on their packs.

4. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend

Did Fanny tell you her worst skiing injury was a shoulder dislocation from a stuck backpack on a chair!

5. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room

No but I could believe it!

climberman likes this.
  6. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty

I thought this was a steak thread

24 litres of sirloin thanks.

MarkV likes this.
  7. willsnow

willsnow Hard Yards

I was at Buller late June and didn't notice the backpack sign (maybe because I wasn't paying attention and tired) nor been told to remove it during chairlift rides.

I went two weeks ago (mid July) and was constantly reminded about it, 'it's a legal requirement to remove backpack on the chairlifts in Australia' on almost all the chairlifts. I had been accident free with my very small backpack so far, but funnily enough, the first time I removed my backpack, the buckle was stuck on the chairs gap on Grimus while loading off and the liftie has to stop the lift to retrieve the my dangling backpack. So much for removing the backpack I thought.

Later that day I was on Federation - this time I couldn't be bothered removing it and hop on straight to the chairlift. While loading off, one of the buckles that I didn't strap on got stuck in the chair gaps. I was on my bum, and was lucky enough to free both my arms in time from the shoulder strap to avoid being tangled on the chairlift. This made me appreciate why they put that rule up in the first place.

These two incidents really taught me to be super careful with the backpack. I think it's fine to have the backpack on as long as you make sure that all the buckles are strapped on (although you might get told off by the lifties). It would also be okay if you ride on upholstered chair like ABOM or Bonza. Or if you choose to be super careful, take the backpack off, carry it in front of your body and make sure all the straps are not stuck to the gaps before loading off.

8. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum

If you ride a chair with me you will observe, at about the second last tower, a ritual of me holding anything I am carrying (poles, backpacks etc) straight out in front of me where I can see everything that dangles dangling freely.

9. sperks

sperks Hard Yards

I have a small Dakine 6.5 litre pack to carry spectacles neck warmer no straps to flap how serious are they about packs ?

10. willsnow

willsnow Hard Yards

11. willsnow

willsnow Hard Yards

Yup, I learnt it the hard way!

12. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us

Had a pack on my back most times skiing for years. Always ensured any loose bits were secured. Only issue I've ever had was an over zealous young lady lift attendant at Falls a coupla years ago screaming at the top of her lungs at me after the chair had taken off.

13. piolet

piolet Found anything yet?

Was expecting it to be some boutique beef jerky promo LOL

14. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty!

Me too!

It was a glove strap that got hooked in a poma but it did teach me to check I wasn’t attached to a lift well before disembarking - every time!

MarkV likes this.
  15. Rush

Rush Pool Room

I've been skiing with backpack since 2004. A smaller pack with external webbing once got caught on a chair at Falls in 2005. I hit the deck and straightened my arms and let it come over my head. No harm done but they had to stop the chair.

Since then I've used a bigger pack with no external webbing and I've never had it catch or jam anywhere in the world.

I skiied Buller two weeks ago, saw the sign and just wore it as a frontpack on the chair.

No big deal.

16. Parallax

Parallax Hard Yards

I thought the reason you have to remove backpacks on chairs was because wearing one on a chair makes you sit further forward and you're then more likely to fall off. Really small backpacks can go under your jacket.

17. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture

Personally never understood the need to raise the bar early.

18. JM72

JM72 Hard Yards

Off topic but a few years ago was going up a chair at thredbo with my cousin, he had his Parker unzipped with a cigarette lighter in the bottom pocket. .. .......

Well it got stuck in between the slats of the chair as we were unloading and he went round the wheel hanging like a bitch !

Was a long drop off, I know it was wrong but I have never laughed so much in my life!

currawong and climberman like this.
  19. timonearth

timonearth Hard Yards

The cynic in me ponders if it's more about increased locker rental from the additional inconvenience of taking the backpack on and off. I've never had issues on a lift with my small day pack, but then it's always done up. I know accidents happen but I'm pretty sure the vast number of ambulances I've seen at resorts haven't been there for backpack related injuries.

LMB likes this.
  20. Arsas

Arsas One of Us

Just Yesterday a man in front of us on the Blue Cow Summit had his bag get caught by the safety bar and had to ride the bull wheel round until his skis trip the safety wire. Lets see if I can explain this properly. So, he only had a small bag, very flat but it got jammed between the back of the chair and the safety bar. This only happened when safety bar was raised, the the back cross bar on the safety bar pinches just behind the back of the chair. Now I don't know if when he sat on the chair his bag sat up high and just over the back of the chair or when raising his arm to lift the bar it has lifted up and over the back of the chair. His mate slid of chair fine then he went to lean forward and couldn't move (I think he may have had chest strap as well)
    His mate was in stitches. lift operator thank him for not panicking and struggling to remove his straps and just riding the bull wheel till he tripped the safety cable. Never seen this before.

21. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum

It might have something to do with the disruption caused by rescues. If the lifty is unattentive and a dangling person rides the bullwheel and gets beyond the loading platform rescue becomes complicated.

22. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty

I would have thought more risk of legal action if an accident involved a lift rather than just a slope accident. Lawyers rule (especially in the shadow of dreamworld)

23. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room

What's a bar?

24. DbSki

DbSki Part of the Furniture

A long thing with weights on each end.
    Do you even lift ?

climberman and The Plowking like this.