Buller Crew Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by CarveMan, Oct 5, 2009.

1. djam

djam One of Us

now the pub is closed, 60kph is really questionable.. it could really do with electronic signs, with faster limits after hours.

2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass: Gold

Must not like license.

MickM and mx_boarder like this.
  3. DbSki

DbSki Part of the Furniture

If Yarck folks can survive with 80k then Molesworth can too.

miss_b_haven likes this.
  4. Alfred14

Alfred14 Addicted
    Ski Pass: Silver

Word is thats going to 60kph aswell.

5. Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Walking on a dream

Yep heard that rumour in the Yea Chronicle.

6. miss_b_haven

miss_b_haven One of Us

30kph over the limit is still only 90. They reduced Molesworth to 60 a couple of years back, and reduced the limit between Yea and Molesworth to 80kph while doing roadworks to install all those crazy barriers.

To some degree, I accept that thought process. However, with the roadworks complete there now, and the Yea - Molesworth section returning to 100kph, it's really way overkill to maintain the 60 limit at Molesworth. :rolleyes:

Particularly so when every other town is 80.

Lawdy lawdy, they want to reduce Yarck to 60 now too?! Good grief! :confused::rolleyes:

MickM likes this.
  7. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room

I always feel like the bogan behind me is going to run me off the road when I slow down to 60 in Molesworth.

Same bogan usually doesn't have enough grunt to overtake me on the hill before Yea!! LOL ROFL

8. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

I should have added that it was foggy at the time. 30kph over in fog is bloody stupid.

9. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty

Those “crazy barriers” saved a colleague’s life last week when he ran off the road to avoid a falling tree branch.

Alfred14 likes this.
  10. VSG

VSG Pool Room
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Hello crew.

11. miss_b_haven

miss_b_haven One of Us

:eek:
    Glad your colleague is OK :thumbs:.

I understand the reasoning behind their installation. I’m sure there will be cases where the barriers are of benefit, cases where they’re not; pros and cons. I feel they’re debatable on a number of levels, nonetheless.

skiflat and MickM like this.
  12. djam

djam One of Us

And next time it might save your own, I'm glad we have them.

Someone came close to killing the 4 in our car about 8 years back, when they just slowly
    drifted into my lane. Sadly, I just thought they where having a look around the car they were
    behind. By the time I realized they are not moving back, they had about 1/2 their car in our
    lane. I swerved and hard as I dared without rolling the car, it must have been millimeters
    between us.

A B Double that had been (closely) following us jackknifed in the revision mirror to avoid the
    car, which corrected and kept on driving.

13. skiflat

skiflat Part of the Furniture

Oh hello.

mx_boarder likes this.
  14. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Glad you made it djam.

What is is with B trucks (drivers) tailgaiting motorists travelling at the speed limit.

Trucking lobby delivers sermons about how truck drivers are regularly being cut off & sure this must happen.

But a fair % of trucks I see on rural highways are within 2-4 car lengths of a vehicle.

At 100 or 110 km/h they’ll never stop in time if a car hits the skids. Its madness and should be called out by all our Govt authorities.

Rant over for now!

...dont start me on Boges passing on all the crests/dbl lines!!

MickM likes this.
  15. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us

For the first time in quite a few years, there will be no California and Colorado northern winter skiing for me next year.

In an attempt to stave off SDS and because we won’t make it for Targa this year, we’ve spent the last few days here hiking.It’s beautiful all year around but especially peaceful and astoundingly silent now. A pair of falcons kept us company as the sun set. The colours in the sky were breathtaking vivid

There are still ever shrinking patches of snow which were welcome in our palms when hiking down from Summit to Little Mt Buller via Little Buller Spur and then back up again yesterday morning with clear skies, lightest breeze and very little shade

I can say with absolute confidence it’s a much easier exercise when there is snow on the ground and the lifts are running. It wasn’t as easy route but I enjoyed it, although one of our party of two was very Not Happy Jan

The wildflowers are only just beginning to bloom. This time last year there was a carpet of purple, but the snow covered the shrubs for longer this year. A couple of snow blowers have been dug up around summit chair. A bulldozer is down near the bottom of the chair.

The village was a ghost town on Sunday but a hive of activity on Monday. Plenty of bulldozer action on the Kooroora site, a huge crane on the Bella Vista site, Blue bullet top station is a skeleton

16. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room

I should make a trip, still enough to slide on.

17. di6loc

di6loc One of Us

Fantastic photos. :cheers:

18. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

They have opened with less...

19. di6loc

di6loc One of Us

thephoto.bmp

20. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room

You should try walking up Little Mt Buller if you're in the vicinity again, super easy 10-15 minutes up with sensational views!

21. Seth

Seth Pool Room

Yeah, definitely worth it.

rime noreason likes this.
  22. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Old n' Crusty

Ripper photos :thumbs:

Be interesting to see if there’s anything left by Targa weekend. Doubtful at this rate.

23. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local

bringing the boards up just in case ;):D

mx_boarder and djam like this.
  24. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us

That was the plan @CarveMan. We were almost there when Not Happy Jan refused to go any further, complaining that we still had the uphill slog back to Summit carpark:rolleyes: Next time maybe the 4WD to the base of LBS. Or walk the Village circuit along standard and Whiskey Creek which I assume is not as steep as via LBS.

The Little Mt B trail was very rocky without snow. The loose rocks of every shape and size had placed themselves in prime position to twist an ankle or knee. We were mindful of snakes too after almost stepping on a monster at Cape Schanck last year (photo added below). The path is about 1.5 metres wide and its head and tail are in the grass on each side

The 7th photo in my previous post is where Not Happy Jan sat down in a tanty and refused to go further.Still a pretty good view. I’ll add more photos here. Your photos of it covered in snow are stunning. I'll aim for a winter hike but I suppose it’s not a good idea to go on your own though (NHJ isn’t a skier)

Thank you @di6loc and @mx_boarder. Not Happy Jan is even more NHJ when I pause to take a photo. Then afterwards, he’s the first one to say how nice they areLOL

There are still a few chairs lying around Blue Bullet top station. I was very tempted to have one fall in the boot of the car;) Similar to you wanting a specific chair for sentimental reasons @CarveMan, I’d have liked number 54 or 8. We have photos of our family and me riding for the first time on those two.

@di6loc please don't even joke with thatphoto.bmp! I’ve been lucky buying season passes so far but I’ll spend the next 8 months wondering if I’ll regret just forking out for next year:eek:

@mx_boarder, plenty of snow as you can see from more photos below. the question you should be asking is... Should I pack the fat skis? Or should I pack the really fat skis?

Targa will be excellent either way though. So many gorgeous shiny cars together was very cool last year, as was the classic car display in Mansfield

Attached Files:

derwent, mx_boarder, DbSki and 4 others like this.
  25. DbSki

DbSki Part of the Furniture

I relish days out with the NHJ's, I haze them all day to instill in them the deep desire to never want to come anywhere with me again.

26. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us

For those up for Targa, you had fantastic weather. No ogling Targa cars for me this year. We got to admire Mt Buller from afar over the last few days instead. We made sure to time our trip up on Saturday between road closures, unlike a few others who had been oblivious and consequently stuck up there on Sunday. We planned to stay for a few extra days.

We saw plenty of tyre marks on the Eildon-Jamieson road on the way home, as well as a full row of arrow signage around one corner that’s been a victim. I don’t even want to think about the carnage done to the vehicle!

In gorgeous weather here too, we made the pilgrimage up to Mt Terrible again. The last time we did that, there was a deep carpet of snow. Now it’s a deep carpet of pink wildflowers. The hut is intact, the fire tower was manned, red bellied black snakes were working on their suntans.

I like to think it was a couple of tiny patches of snow I could see still clinging on the summit of Mt Buller.

mx_boarder likes this.
  27. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us

Fires over the ranges last night taken near home. Buller- Howqua to the left, Gembrook- Bunyip to the right. Sky crane and choppers returning from Buller region and disappearing in to the sunset

djam, Whiteman, snowgum and 1 other person like this.
  28. wolly

wolly One of Us

Howqua .jamieson from buller at lunchtime

Attached Files:

29. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

This almost looks like a poster for Apocalypse Now!

...scary, we have an apocalypse emerging almost on our doorstep.
    (Apologies for the theatrics!)

30. nezumi

nezumi Addicted

I had "Ride of the Valkyries" playing in my head looking at those pics.

31. djam

djam One of Us

And so you all have the complete set..

One from Stirling
    [​IMG]

And one from Corn Hill
    [​IMG]

rime noreason and LiveToSki like this.
  32. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Old n' Crusty

Blanket Hill and Licola yesterday:

33. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us

@snowgum it’s formidable even from this distance so I can only imagine how apocalyptic it must feel surrounded by such a behemoth. Our courageous local fire fighters are currently there. Huge gratitude to them always. I hope they and all those in the area remain safe.

@nezumi I wouldn’t be surprised if fire fighters frequently have this tune playing in their heads, too.

@mx_boarder an immediate threat to our place at Enoch’s Point appears to have eased a little for now but Licola is a major concern. Those pictures are very ominous.Hopefully the wind will cause the fire to blow back over itself and keep the township safe. I suppose it’s impossible for human power to douse these fires, it’s a matter of protecting life and property while waiting for some heavy rains. Who knows when that will happen!

In the meantime, today’s satellite images show that New Zealand is about to second hand inhale our smoke

( I “liked” these posts, not so much for the traditional like of it as appreciating the magnitude of the fires and appreciating you posting your pictures as I’m sure is the general sentiment with bushfires)

LiveToSki and mx_boarder like this.