Buller Crew Banter Thread

wolly

One of Us
May 29, 2002
near the snow
The government equating the Vic resorts to March 2020 events in Ischgl and Aspen is wrong on so many levels.
As a family of 4 with school kids, weekly testing is highly disruptive and of no practical benefit to the community when cases are minimal.
We put a lot into the weekend economy of Buller and Vic - and it's not something we can easily afford, but it's what we love to do.
Fortnightly trips to do 3 day weekends at Thredbo are now a much better option.
would you rather get tested or see the whole ski industry shut down?

xskiaus

First Runs
Jun 16, 2021

What's the quid-pro-quo here?

Place a greater burden on ski fields, and the promise is that they get special treatment if there is another lockdown? Otherwise, what is the benefit to this? My bet is that the gov will shut everything down - all industries - if there is a lockdown required.

Reactions: DbSki and Snow Dog

Snow Dog

One of Us
Jun 23, 2014
The answer to that question is that it should not be the ultimatum. I agree it's a ridiculous ultimatum to put upon the industry. Maybe going to the football, to the gym, to the pub, to a friend's wedding - should they all be subject to the same approach?
Of course I don't mind getting tested per se - but it is just not an easy thing to be tested as a family of 4 every Wednesday. It's a massive PITA.
Some may prefer rings of steel and pitch forks at Mirimbah - but that's self defeating.

Gototakahashi

Addicted
Sep 26, 2017
It is ridiculous and frankly quite stupid that the Victorian Government has used the March 2020 Aspen, Whistler etc outbreak as a reason for this mandate.

Things have changed:
- We know how the virus is transmitted
- We have a much much stronger contact tracing system
- We have fast and readily available testing facilities
- We have over 6 million vaccine doses administered around Australia
- We are getting less than five new cases a day which is barely anything

Clearly Buller aren’t happy about this stupid decision either.

Reactions: DbSki

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
I should not apply to day trippers anyway and should be limited to people staying overnight in shared accommodation only.
Do these morons understand that Skiing is an outdoor sport, likely not.

Reactions: Alexg1687
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

xskiaus

First Runs
Jun 16, 2021
Every week they feel the need to throw a joker in the deck, just to mix things up and give the impression some deep thought has been put into the decision.

25km? Yeah, that's new and hasn't been done before - chuck it in there this week.

Testing for alpine resorts? Yeah, that's new and hasn't been done before - chuck it in there this week. Actually, not spicy enough, make it mandatory for kids too. How young? Start with 3. fcuk 'em.

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Purely and simply bloody minded and FULL of contradictions.
There is a case in NSW now , im sure they will not do something remotely similar.. and the difference is .. "management of risk capability"

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
And we have had our first cancellation….

Makes a weekend trip a big adventure…

No need to isolate between test and result….

And for parents/kids doing squad - wow!
Will be widespread non conformance ,, these type of rules not commensurate with risk promote more potential problems than they are trying to solve.
Ski lodges are potential spreader sites as much as hotels , accommodation and work places ..

xskiaus

First Runs
Jun 16, 2021
Speaking of non compliance, how will this reg be policed? Ie, resort entry proof of negatory test results at the gate?
Asking for a friend.

I know they close the Mirimbah gate office around 9:30pm every night so if you time it right you could get your way up the mountain with no checks at the park entry. They have people manning Horse Hill as a secondary gate checking village permits and they hang around much later. Not sure when they close up but they certainly don't sit there all night. If you have a village permit it is not impossible.

For those using overnight parking, it would be near impossible as they have 'taxi' vans standing by to ferry visitors. I would imagine they are instructed to check for compliance if the Mirimbah gate office is closed.

Either way, Buller only has a single point of access so if the RMB wanted they can easily change things up to make it impossible. Your 'friend' would run the risk that they'll get turned around and sent to drive back home again for another 3+ hours. Police are stationed in the Village during the season so I don't doubt they will be called if someone gets argumentative about it with the staff.

My advice would be to suck it up and get tested. It's a braindead idea but that's what they've gone with.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Either way, Buller only has a single point of access so if the RMB wanted they can easily change things up to make it impossible. Your 'friend' would run the risk that they'll get turned around and sent to drive back home again for another 3+ hours. Police are stationed in the Village during the season so I don't doubt they will be called if someone gets argumentative about it with the staff.

My advice would be to suck it up and get tested. It's a braindead idea but that's what they've gone with.
Agree, it's a long way to go to get turned around just to prove a point. The rules are fcukt but non-compliance is risky and the kind of person to defy them belligerently is just going to end up in a confrontation with a person who can't do anything abou tit.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Seems to work in Perisher without it.
Gladys seems more relaxed with Covid spreading. She was relatively relaxed allowing it to spread from Avalon to inner west, to the south coast and the to Melbourne. Sorry many in Vic think she/ NSW Govt. stuffed up and continues to. Agree to disagree here.

Yet, many liking this open & relaxed strategy are quick to criticise Vic when even a handful of cases emerge - and screamed (rightly so) as hundreds died.

So, while regular nose-testing is a pain (I’ve had 4 so far - I don’t like them at all!) it’s far better than not opening.

The other aspect to consider, the testing may allow higher densities on chairs, in lines and in resort buildings. If so, (I’m guessing), then the policy allows more folks to ski and spend money on food, drink, and ski services. Surely that’s a good thing and worth some inconvenience?

Reactions: Ice Bear

Ice Bear

First Runs
Jun 8, 2021
Ok, so if you are staying off the mountain (like Mansfield) and going up for 4 or 5 days in a row do you have to get tested part way through your stay so you have a Covid free test within the last 3 days??

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
No Mod on this site? Isn't there a Buller chat/whinge site where folks can vent? In weather forum, most of this would be dismissed as inappropriate.
'Pink bats and school halls'? Federal gov't. Not the right forum, surely? No mods?
Impossible to discuss this situation without talking about the politics, and it's a massive issue for Buller skiers. Use the ignore function if you feel you need to.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Ok, so if you are staying off the mountain (like Mansfield) and going up for 4 or 5 days in a row do you have to get tested part way through your stay so you have a Covid free test within the last 3 days??

Good & Fair question. A mate of mine will be staying at Howmans Gap this winter. It’s just outside Falls resort boundary. So, Does his family test once, twice (inc midweek?), or daily? People need to know real soon. I fully acknowledge the inconvenience (OTT) of daily testing. Hopefully weekly is enough?

Reactions: Ice Bear

wolly

One of Us
May 29, 2002
near the snow
Gladys seems more relaxed with Covid spreading. She was relatively relaxed allowing it to spread from Avalon to inner west, to the south coast and the to Melbourne. Sorry many in Vic think she/ NSW Govt. stuffed up and continues to. Agree to disagree here.

Yet, many liking this open & relaxed strategy are quick to criticise Vic when even a handful of cases emerge - and screamed (rightly so) as hundreds died.

So, while regular nose-testing is a pain (I’ve had 4 so far - I don’t like them at all!) it’s far better than not opening.

The other aspect to consider, the testing may allow higher densities on chairs, in lines and in resort buildings. If so, (I’m guessing), then the policy allows more folks to ski and spend money on food, drink, and ski services. Surely that’s a good thing and worth some inconvenience?
Higher density on chairs... constantly seeing 6 on a chair going past my windows at work

azzski

Should know better
Ski Pass
Aug 6, 1999
St Kilda, Australia
Mod Note - any political reference from this point forward will be deleted, and warning points issued. It's a difficult subject to discuss without bringing politics into it, but far from impossible. Discuss the requirements and practicalities by all means.

xskiaus

First Runs
Jun 16, 2021
o_O

See that's the thing, none of this is clear - just random shoot from the hip decrees.

What if you need to duck down to Mansfield to grab a few supplies? They won't let you back in? Or do you need to stop by before you exit and take a few pictures with the gate staff to prove your not pulling anyone's leg when you come back in an hour?

The other question is the 72 hours. I just got tested tonight. So does the clock start from 7:30pm Wednesday night (i.e. expires 7:30pm Saturday night) or from whenever it is they send me the SMS sometime tomorrow (i.e. expires Sunday)?

Issue for me is that I need to be on mountain on Friday and then back again Sunday. So I don't know whether I need to head in to get another test tomorrow, perhaps before I even get back the result of the first one.

Of course, we're left to figure this out on the televised podium statements and a couple of bullet points on a slide. The legislation itself usually doesn't even appear until 2 days after it is in effect.

Reactions: Alexg1687

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
o_O

See that's the thing, none of this is clear - just random shoot from the hip decrees.

What if you need to duck down to Mansfield to grab a few supplies? They won't let you back in? Or do you need to stop by before you exit and take a few pictures with the gate staff to prove your not pulling anyone's leg when you come back in an hour?

The other question is the 72 hours. I just got tested tonight. So does the clock start from 7:30pm Wednesday night (i.e. expires 7:30pm Saturday night) or from whenever it is they send me the SMS sometime tomorrow (i.e. expires Sunday)?

Issue for me is that I need to be on mountain on Friday and then back again Sunday. So I don't know whether I need to head in to get another test tomorrow, perhaps before I even get back the result of the first one.

Of course, we're left to figure this out on the televised podium statements and a couple of bullet points on a slide. The legislation itself usually doesn't even appear until 2 days after it is in effect.
I started a twitter thread calling out a lot of the journos that cover the press conferences, hopefully they read it and get some replies to clarify stuff like this.

A retweet or two wouldn't hurt ;)

Ice Bear

First Runs
Jun 8, 2021
I'm not on Twitter but I am curious to know if you are Vaccinated do you need a negative test?.

Yes I am aware there are a lot of people that can't get the jab yet... just a thought process...

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I'm not on Twitter but I am curious to know if you are Vaccinated do you need a negative test?.

Yes I am aware there are a lot of people that can't get the jab yet... just a thought process...
Another great question, I get jab #2 on Tuesday.
But it's a trip reports thread. Needs another thread for political/social/economic angst. Did a Mod make a directive? Or do ski gear retailers overrule?
Hover over my name and press ignore.

JuLe

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2019
Melbourne
Good & Fair question. A mate of mine will be staying at Howmans Gap this winter. It’s just outside Falls resort boundary. So, Does his family test once, twice (inc midweek?), or daily? People need to know real soon. I fully acknowledge the inconvenience (OTT) of daily testing. Hopefully weekly is enough?
We are heading to Mansfield from Melbourne this Friday night and doing day trips on Saturday and Sunday from there. We just went and got tested this evening. There was only one car in front of us and took all of 5 minutes. Testing nurse said “most” people they had seen from the afternoon were those going for snow trips. Figured this will be fine for both days as the official VicGov advice says:

“Travel to regional Victorian Alpine Resorts permitted providing visitors have had a COVID test within 72 hours of departing Melbourne.

So that says to me that once you’ve had a test and you leave Melbourne within 72 hours then you’re good. Considering being in Melbourne is the “concern”, it wouldn’t make any sense that you would need to keep being tested while in regional Vic, as regional Victorians don’t need to get tested. If you’re negative leaving Melbourne then I don’t think they’re worried about you potentially picking it up in regional Vic after that, otherwise they’d test regional Victorians too.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
We are heading to Mansfield from Melbourne this Friday night and doing day trips on Saturday and Sunday from there. We just went and got tested this evening. There was only one car in front of us and took all of 5 minutes. Testing nurse said “most” people they had seen from the afternoon were those going for snow trips. Figured this will be fine for both days as the official VicGov advice says:

“Travel to regional Victorian Alpine Resorts permitted providing visitors have had a COVID test within 72 hours of departing Melbourne.

So that says to me that once you’ve had a test and you leave Melbourne within 72 hours then you’re good. Considering being in Melbourne is the “concern”, it wouldn’t make any sense that you would need to keep being tested while in regional Vic, as regional Victorians don’t need to get tested. If you’re negative leaving Melbourne then I don’t think they’re worried about you potentially picking it up in regional Vic after that, otherwise they’d test regional Victorians too.
Yes that makes sense.

Reactions: JuLe

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
But it's a trip reports thread. Needs another thread for political/social/economic angst. Did a Mod make a directive? Or do ski gear retailers overrule?
I find it funny. Previously spent a lot of time in NSW threads. Sure, it can get overwhelming at times with number of posts, but generally a higher level of posting and engagement. In Vic resort threads, see, to be more people trying to be stricter about posting? I get totally OT, but if it’s a matter that affects people’s planning, it seems relevant

JuLe

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2019
Melbourne
It does, but how do you prove it at the toll gate with 100 cars behind you? Could pull out a month old test on your phone and say you've been in Regional Vic ever since.
That’s true. I figured if they asked me that, I would show them my accomodation booking?

JuLe

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2019
Melbourne
I started a twitter thread calling out a lot of the journos that cover the press conferences, hopefully they read it and get some replies to clarify stuff like this.

A retweet or two wouldn't hurt ;)

Done!

It would be good to get some clearer answers from the horse’s mouth. Hopefully it’s just a short term measure at most. If metro go back to zero cases and have exactly the same COVID settings as regional, it doesn’t really make sense to have metro required to get tests.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
The plod in NSW were getting people to hand over their phones to look through their location history.

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Popped out at lunch for a test.

So many holes in this requirement and I don't see it being in place long, but I'm heading up early Friday and don't want to be easy pickings.

Reactions: CarveMan
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass