Buller Crew Banter Thread

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Better snow making on Whiskey Creek Trail would help too, always disperses the crowds when open.
It’s there now. I skied down there today.

Wombat isn’t in line for an upgrade in any immediate timeframe. Grimus first priority, I know that Horse Hill is nearing the end of its useful life and the Summit / Koflers / Howqua triangle is up for a re-think.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
It’s there now. I skied down there today.

Wombat isn’t in line for an upgrade in any immediate timeframe. Grimus first priority, I know that Horse Hill is nearing the end of its useful life and the Summit / Koflers / Howqua triangle is up for a re-think.
Lift from the bottom of Howqua to top of Summit?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

MickM

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2001
Gordon, Vic
That would be ideal but it means that if an intermediate skier skis the blue part of Summit you need to get down Howqua extension which is black, and you need to cut off quite high to get down family run.
Many intermediates do tempt the Howqa extension now though at is the easiest way to get off Summit. At least it is mostly groomed and any good intermediate should have no trouble. I have taken many down there without them even knowing it was black. There is always a bit push to get over to Family run if you want to go that way or you can load on the T-bar which many avoid.

The 2 lift setup has always been a bit of a time waster though.

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
That would be ideal but it means that if an intermediate skier skis the blue part of Summit you need to get down Howqua extension which is black, and you need to cut off quite high to get down family run.
What about a cat track from the bottom of Kofflers Tbar (take the tbar out) across boomerang into cross cut and around to the bottom of family somehow. Turn the loading station of Summit 90 degrees and run it to rear the top of Baldy. Slight push if you want to go from top of summit to Kofflers but hey... I think that covers most routes that people and standards would take?

Reactions: CarveMan

Hot Diggity

Hard Yards
May 2, 2014
What about a cat track from the bottom of Kofflers Tbar (take the tbar out) across boomerang into cross cut and around to the bottom of family somehow. Turn the loading station of Summit 90 degrees and run it to rear the top of Baldy. Slight push if you want to go from top of summit to Kofflers but hey... I think that covers most routes that people and standards would take?

There are a couple of important factors imo. There is surely only enough room at the summit for 2 lifts. It is already a struggle sometimes when Grimus and Summit are busy. The family run traverse and getting beginner-intermediates out.

My solution would be to get rid of Koflers T and Summit. Replace Howqua. New chair from bottom Howqua to Summit. New small surface lift to pull people back up to the "Baldy Plateau" from that dead spot if they can't make Family if you know what I mean?

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
There are a couple of important factors imo. There is surely only enough room at the summit for 2 lifts. It is already a struggle sometimes when Grimus and Summit are busy. The family run traverse and getting beginner-intermediates out.

My solution would be to get rid of Koflers T and Summit. Replace Howqua. New chair from bottom Howqua to Summit. New small surface lift to pull people back up to the "Baldy Plateau" from that dead spot if they can't make Family if you know what I mean?
yes - my suggestion was assuming that the Summit chair wouldnt go up summit, and the Howqua chair would go up to summit - leaving only 2 chairs at summit as you suggest. My difference to you, is to have a chair from the current base of summit to the top pf baldy. The problem with a surface lift is that pax run in all directions around there. Baldy to Little buller, Little buller to skyline, Baldy to Summit area etc. I guess if both Kofflers and Howqua chair dont end in that area, that would take some surface traffic away.

Reactions: Hot Diggity

Hot Diggity

Hard Yards
May 2, 2014
Is a good plan LTS. With new water capacity and snow making technology, and the new trail at the bottom of Grimus leading to Bonza spreading people out and around, it seemed like the best bang for buck while opening up a bit of terrain. Could build a little park next to the drag lift? And Bob is due for a lift or run named after him or the Flemmings? Will be a new "run" down the kofflers t-bar line.

Spence

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2019
Sydney
I've actually just gone and done it again (again). I've been really interested in J Skis' 'Masterblaster' for a while now. They only sell directly via their website and have just launched their skis for the coming (Northern) season. They make very limited runs of their skis and when they are gone they are gone. So.........I have ordered myself a pair (to be used next season along with my, more than likely, still unused new touring skis and boots).
Mrs S will not be happy. I'm hoping the 'Belushi' defence will work. If only I could raise one eyebrow independently of the other.

LiveToSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne, Vic
That's how I get around it.

Plus CG now has better boots than me as she is the sample size so has some next year's Cochises to go with her Zero Gs, I'm slumming it in 2 years ago non-gripwalk model and the old bright yellow Zero Gs.
You poor diddums Hope you can hear the violins playing for you.

praewarn

Hard Yards
Mar 2, 2019
Received text from neighbor in our apartment complex at Buller that police had this morning door knocked all apartments checking where people were from and when they had arrived.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Received text from neighbor in our apartment complex at Buller that police had this morning door knocked all apartments checking where people were from and when they had arrived.

I would say someone called and reported something, in that case they have to look into it. I've not seem them around here.

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
No skiers to fine on roads and booze and bong buses to operate, the coppers are at a lose end so the boss has probably sent them out to look like they are busy doing something instead of getting fat on Donuts at the station.

Reactions: jbprophoto

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Hope it’s happening down the coast too. The way the alpine areas have been singled out is sickening.
Why is it sickening? After what has happened in Byron with lax restriction enforcement I think cops checking in small towns that exceptionistas think they need to belong to is a good thing for local communities :)

Reactions: blueandwhite

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
Yup that’s bullsh1t.

Can understand responding to reports of some blatant breach, but not that. As a lawful resident/guest of the mountain I’d find that unnerving - not reassuring.

Reactions: DbSki

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Going door to door and harrassing citizens is cool now?
How do you know they're harassing citizens? They're likely having a g'day, a good laugh and a joke with the locals/legals along the way, as we used to do with Inspector Plods checking up on skiers' safety on the main range in dodgy weather many years ago.

As someone who actually lives in a small, covid-free community, I don't see any issue at all. Unless they're bludgeoning citizens with truncheons. I don't think it's that serious.

"As a lawful resident/guest of the mountain" who has nothing to hide, I don't understand why it'd be unnerving? They're just normal people doing their job, looking out for the safety of lawful resident/guests of the mountain...

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Let’s not forget that everyone on the mountain is covid negative as they’ve had a test to get there.

One man’s friendly chat is another’s harrassment. I’d find it very difficult to not tell them to fcuk off and do something important.

Reactions: jbprophoto

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
"As a lawful resident/guest of the mountain" who has nothing to hide, I don't understand why it'd be unnerving? They're just normal people doing their job, looking out for the safety of lawful resident/guests of the mountain...
I’m glad you’d be fine with the door knock. I, and many others I suspect, would find it off putting.

‘Your papers please’ etc.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass