Buller Crew Banter Thread

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
How do you know they're harassing citizens? They're likely having a g'day, a good laugh and a joke with the locals/legals along the way, as we used to do with Inspector Plods checking up on skiers' safety on the main range in dodgy weather many years ago.
Like prison officers do in prisons.
Have a friendly chat with prisoners as they are checking on them to ensure they are complying with the rules.

Do you not understand the concept of private property, privacy and the presumption of innocence ?

Reactions: Alexg1687

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
I’m glad you’d be fine with the door knock. I, and many others I suspect, would find it off putting.
Police are just engaging in evidentiary fishing expeditions interrogating people at their own homes without probable cause.
As such no-one is under any legal obligation to answer the door to them let alone speak to them and I certainly wouldn't.

Reactions: jbprophoto

praewarn

Hard Yards
Mar 2, 2019
Let’s not forget that everyone on the mountain is covid negative as they’ve had a test to get there.

One man’s friendly chat is another’s harrassment. I’d find it very difficult to not tell them to fcuk off and do something important.

With it now only being highly recommended rather than compulsory there is no longer a guarantee that everyone has in fact had a covid test before travelling to the mountain.

hooha

Hard Yards
Mar 4, 2006
Mt Buller resident
Let’s not forget that everyone on the mountain is covid negative as they’ve had a test to get there.

Gotta , respectfully as i know you are an intelligent man, call you and all the other people trotting out this BS out . There has NEVER been a time when everyone ( or even close to ) up at buller have all been tested negative.

It's probably the majority who have not been tested. Yes, a lot of staff do not leave the hill but it's a fact many have been going to melbourne and other places and back and def many seasonal 'residents' have been doing the same ,as per every other time lockdowns have occurred.

Don't get me wrong , I think regional Vic and Buller should not have been lumped in with metro and there are many good reasons why, but please don't give the ol 'everyone has a covid test line' BS as a reason cause it just ain't true.

Last edited:
Reactions: wolly

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy

So with all vehicles being screened at the gate, regional police no doubt active with checks, number plate recognition and so on - why is Vic Pol so concerned about ‘illegal metro aliens’ sneaking into the village that they feel it’s necessary to door knock all properties?

Per earlier comment, is this happening at all the big holiday communities?

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
why do you think they are door knocking all properties?
Because they are NOT.

Jun 11, 2020
Can I also say… they might be finding say two families staying in the one apartment against rules… May have been or not been reported by other residents.

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
If you're asking would the police follow up on a report of people sneaking down to Torquay from Melbourne or having people over when they're not allowed to under restrictions at any given time then yes, they would. I've seen it with my own eyes in our street - and yes it did involve door knocking!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

FixedGrip

Kick-Ass Blaster
Ski Pass
May 31, 2005
The Chammy
If you're asking would the police follow up on a report of people sneaking down to Torquay from Melbourne or having people over when they're not allowed to under restrictions at any given time then yes, they would. I've seen it with my own eyes in our street - and yes it did involve door knocking!

No - that’s not what I was asking.

I’ve already said I have no issue with a blatant breach being followed up.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
You can actually turn positive a day, two or three later. I find the testing odd for this reason. I have no problem doing it, and I have, but to say that everyone on the mountain is negative, is hopeful.
I guess it's better than nothing.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
You can actually turn positive a day, two or three later. I find the testing odd for this reason. I have no problem doing it, and I have, but to say that everyone on the mountain is negative, is hopeful.
I guess it's better than nothing.
If more people got this... we'd be doing much better.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
So with all vehicles being screened at the gate, regional police no doubt active with checks, number plate recognition and so on - why is Vic Pol so concerned about ‘illegal metro aliens’ sneaking into the village that they feel it’s necessary to door knock all properties?

How does it work for those who own property at a resort, yet live in MEL?

Snow Dog

One of Us
Jun 23, 2014
No one's knocked on our door yet
Would not be happy to live in a community where police knock on your door to check your status in any respect! That's Stasiland...
Wife was down at the cop shop yesterday - all happiness and light and great service
Generally Aussies are really quite rule / law abiding - pitch forks and road blocks should be put away. They are not needed. There are no hoards roaring up the Melba Hwy.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Would get tricky. What if, perchance, hypothetically speaking... I run my principal place of business from Chamois Street? my unit? remote worker? My exercise is skiing?

As I understand it, if you were in Buller prior to the commencement of the lockdown you could stay, but if you were in metro Melb you couldn't decamp to a Buller property. The only "loophole"/workaround I can see is if you were willing to say it was a permanent move, i.e. changing your address on your license/vehicles etc. This could have tax consequences down the line, depending how on top of things the ATO was, as it could potentially result in your Melbourne residence being subject to CGT on a pro-rata basis.

Reactions: Sadie

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
As I understand it, if you were in Buller prior to the commencement of the lockdown you could stay, but if you were in metro Melb you couldn't decamp to a Buller property. The only "loophole"/workaround I can see is if you were willing to say it was a permanent move, i.e. changing your address on your license/vehicles etc. This could have tax consequences down the line, depending how on top of things the ATO was, as it could potentially result in your Melbourne residence being subject to CGT on a pro-rata basis.
Yep, I’ve said the exact same thing. Be careful of saying your holiday house is an investment for tax purposes and then all of a sudden it becomes your PPOR. The ATO has access to every single database known and their data matching is better than ever.
But what would I know? I’ve tried to make people think about what they’re doing without bluntly saying it.

Reactions: nezumi
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass